Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is really annoying, as my car is more or less silent apart from these niggly creaks!

i cant work out what exactly they are, or pin point where they are coming from, but theres a few creaks.

wondering if there is any way to put a stop to these??

the seem to be coming from around the centre console area, towards the left, the bottom, and around the gear gaiter.

think its gotten worse recently, as i remember the car being virtually creak free when i got it a few weeks ago.

how do you stop a creaky dashboard?? [:(][:(]

·
Registered
703 Posts
sadly i get these too.. not good for a car with under 20k miles! mines an '02!

the area around the handbrake, where the dash and centre console (gear lever suround) meet is the problem i think! it drives me mad... i can't get it to stop... but I don't want to unscrew my dash and vasaline it all! shouldn't have to on a car with such little mileage!

Also had a rattle from the centre inertia seatbelt (i got the whole 3 point thing in the middle) and I am certain its the seatbelt mechanism within the seat that rattles! I have asked dealer about all of the above, and after numerous test drives with me! they still can't hear the noises or fix them...

[/end rant]

Sorry not too helpful there, but i wanna cure for this as well... makes you realise the perceived quality of the MK4! All the jap cars we have had have had no rattles or squeeks, even my Golf MK3 was better than this!

inaam

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm. at least i know im not alone.

mines a 2001 Y with 67k. it had 65k on when i got it a few weeks ago, but ive drove it a lot because im over the moon with it!! any excuse to drive.

my glovebox has been out, and ive had the centre console bit up to fit an arm rest.

was fine after both, the creaks seem kinda intermittent. dont think theyre related to the glovebox / arm rest messing about

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
took my car to the dealers as it had started to creak from around the gear leaver center consol area dealer said it is a well known fault and they will fix it under warranty (02car)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I stuck a thick bit of rubber between the centre consol and the bottom edge of my dash to stop mine. Give it a go

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
mine has a realy bad rattle from the LHS of the steering column! when u remover the outer panel i think it is rattling against the inner one! need to sort it!

·
Registered
703 Posts
i havent got rid of mine yet! but if i push hard against the centre console it stops... so i gotta go get some felt and rubber still and stuff it in the gap where the console around the gearlever touches the dash... thats the problem area...

tried dealer who always says there is nothing there! and in final yr of warranty i doubt they care.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Sorry its a bit late but here is where you stick the rubber. The shiny bit you can see is where you stick it. Push it in hard and the creaking should stop

Posted Image

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the photo - that's excellent.

By the way, can you let me know where/ how I can obtain the rubber to do the job!!! Sorry to ask, but I'm not a car/ DIY person!!

Many Thanks,

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
703 Posts
any stationary shop will do... jus cut it or get one to size and push it in... 1 side should do, but for symmetry you might wanna do both.

I might have to go to smiths or somewhere this week and grap one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts