1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody pls help

Ave noticed very poor mpg

My last MAF was a bosche one from Andrew Pages

Today i did 135 miles @70mph and returned 45mpg surely there is somethign wrong here.

Cheers shall i get a vw maf.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
get it scanned first then go from there, could be another problem maybe cheaper maybe more though but vag-com it first see what it comes up with

Ian

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
regularly serviced? clean air filter? full car? i wouldn't jump to a new maf just yet, keep an eye on it see if it improves or worsens then maybe get a new one although no faults shown might not be that?

Ian

·
Registered
183 Posts
maf dont bring up fault code does it? mine didnt..just unplug it and see if it goes any better if it does you know its goosed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah its been regularly serviced ave noticed this for a coupel of months nothings changed on the car same wheels same weight no engine mods... i used to regularly hit atleast 52-53 @70-80mph constant am leanign to maf ill disconnect it and see wot happens.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
MAF's only give a fault code if it totally fails, you can log performance actual vs requested along with a boost log. This highlights any MAF failing at max boost or max flow.
I have seen cheap mafs from andrew page with a sticker about remanufactured in china. I always use new bosche ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The VW MAF is a bosche btw. I fitted one the other month and found a big improvement in performance with better mpg and a lot less smoke. Car was on 108k when i changed it.

Oiled filters don't do MAF's any favours so i've gone back to a oem paper with no loss of power which is interesting.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oiled filters on that note i am using a pipercross panel filter which i have been using for around 30,000 miles every year i bang it out put a compressor (air) on it i have oiled it once maybe it's time to back to a oem filter. or buy a new pipercross

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi

Im in the axact same boat, I replaced my Coolant temp sensor as I had a fault with that but I have crap MPG.

Same car 1.9 ARL 150 PS 03 reg.....

Is there a step by step guide to record the MAF in VAGCOM and how could I check the results...

·
Registered
300 Posts
MAF's only give a fault code if it totally fails, you can log performance actual vs requested along with a boost log. This highlights any MAF failing at max boost or max flow. I have seen cheap mafs from andrew page with a sticker about remanufactured in china. I always use new bosche ones.
please could you explain how you log them with vagcom.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi

Im in the axact same boat, I replaced my Coolant temp sensor as I had a fault with that but I have crap MPG.

Same car 1.9 ARL 150 PS 03 reg.....

Is there a step by step guide to record the MAF in VAGCOM and how could I check the results...
X2.. Just changed the coolant sensor hoping for a cheap cure. no joy there...

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
i have a 2 month old maf and last night on the m25 to a car meet i was seeing no more than 41.1 mpg. i cant see it being my maf, i will scan it today and repot back as it did irritate me some what!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
For MAF decoding this might help.

http://uk-audis.net/forums/t/2541.aspx

If you do a boost and MAF log, post the raw data up and I'll cast an eye over it.

Genuine MAF is around £120 from VW and around £80 from eurocarparts.

Anything under £50 should be left

·
Registered
707 Posts
45mpg isn't that bad, I have days where my derv won't go above 45 no matter what I do, others I get 55+ easilly.

I just put it down to weather & road conditions and the trip computer telling porkies. Test it by recording the miles between fill ups and working out the mpg manually.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
45mpg isn't too worrying at this time of the year. Diesels take longer to heat up and with lower ambient temperatures ath this time of the year, they do use more fuel during the warm up period!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
and there was me thinking 35-42 was the norm
LOL that made me laugh

I dont understand how peopel on here claim figures of 60 -65mpg

Realistically @70mph i always used to get around 50-55 and yesterday was quite mild temp wise...theres somethign not right i put 60 quid fuel in and managed 350miles.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I do see some people quote some extremely high mpg readings, as stated above with the cold weather, mpg readings are likely to be less.

Despite this i still have very low mpg around 38 on a 15 mile run mainly a roads; i have changed my coolant sensor, so next on my list is the thermostat, has this been changed?

Also has the EGR been cleaned? as a blocked one can reduce mpg.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts