Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really nice evening today, sunny and cold. My commute is always against the traffic flow, and I found myself behind a 996 C2 (facelifted) on the trawl out of the town I work in.

Got onto the lightly trafficked dual carriageway which involves peeling off a large roundabout onto the straight. The Porsche gave it beans and I followed.

Ended up having a great blast down 20 miles of sunny early evening road. It was like playing Ridge Racer.

Of course the C2 had longer legs - over *20 he started to pull away slightly - not more than a car length. Below that it was even except our gear changes were not matched, so it was give and take. Inevitably a few back-markers slowed progress, but we were having fun. Every time the traffic parted we were off again.

At the end of the run of dual carriageway there is a large roundabout and on Friday nights there is always a queue at another roundabout. We went our separate ways without the opportunity for a thumbs-up. I can't imagine he thought for a moment I was driving a tractor.

Nice way to finish an indifferent day @ work [Y]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My imagination is firing wildly away imagining such a fantastic bit of fun.

I'm very envious of your "tractor" J.

I keep seeing Anni's and wished in a way i'd snapped up the one i was offered when getting the Mk5....oh well.

Great rewards for all your persistent efforts mate.

·
Registered
221 Posts
were having some great weather arent we. Id love to say the same about having a nice drive, but unfortunately i sat on the M3 for 3 hours today in some disgusting HOT traffic (fortunately not in the golf as fans have gone and would probably overheated!)!!

looking forward to some nice drives this summer though!!

·
Banned
774 Posts
I got overtaken by a Renault Clio, Citroen C5 and out accelerated by a bread delivery van on Sunday, all in my Porsche.

How did you know it was a C2?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sounds like a nice bit of fun there, I haven't had a drive like that in ages. Not that I'd keep up with one of those.

Sammy - James really knows his cars so I'd imagine it wouldn't be difficult for him to spot which version of 996 it was.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Sounds like a nice bit of fun there, I haven't had a drive like that in ages. Not that I'd keep up with one of those.

Sammy - James really knows his cars so I'd imagine it wouldn't be difficult for him to spot which version of 996 it was.
I'd be interested to know how he knew it was a C2. Someone who really knows their cars presumably realises that the only way a 1.9 PD engined golf would keep up with a C2 is in a falling off a cliff competition?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Sammyboy, was it you in the C2?

Now you have got one you should put some pictures up in the members rides? (or "other VAG cars" [;)])

·
Banned
774 Posts
Unless the person in question spent his weekend in the south of France I doubt it was me.

No, I can only go on what he's put on his profile which I had a look at. If he's changed the engine it might be in the same ballpark. That is unless he's lightened the car and somehow managed to get in excess of 300bhp out of a 1.9PD.

If so good on him, I'd be interested to see some of his sprint times.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is a lovely anni with some excellent mods . . . but its not going to stay with a 996 which is making any effort.

Come on, we're talking 1.9 diesel v a 3.6 (I think) Porsche.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If I remember right, the early C2s were a 3.4, and the later ones a 3.6.

Must admit I'd be surprised to see any Mk 4 getting anywhere close to one that was trying, unless the Golf had had some serious money thrown at it.

However, could be wrong - I usually am!!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The reason for posting my little tale was because I enjoyed the drive home. Let?s face it, the reason why we all waste time mucking about with cars is because we enjoy it, right?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

I?m not daft enough to suggest that I own a ?better? car than a Porsche 911 ? it has a totally different mandate.

<o:p> </o:p>

It was badged ?Carrera? and was not a mega spec so I think it was fair to assume it was a Carrera 2. I?ve had a fair exposure to Porsche?s, driving a C4S and including a lot of track time as a passenger in a GT3 RS and a Carrera GT as I know an enthusiast owner. I would own one in preference to any of their competitors and it?s certainly on the cards sooner or later.

I have however spent the time since I bought my humble Golf fiddling with the bits that aren?t so good and think I?ve turned it into a better car that addresses the usual criticisms. It?s not 300bhp, but the torque and power delivery is totally different to a normal remapped diesel, so it has plenty all the way from 2,000 to over 4,700rpm, put down through a chassis that can cope, with a torque biasing diff and decent clutch.

It wasn?t a sprint, or even an irresponsible street race, just a blat along fairly straight dual carriageway on a sunny evening. 0-60 and all that is irrelevant as we didn?t start booting it from rest, and he only really got the hammer down when he realised I was actually able to keep up. From then on, I could hear the car in front being given it?s full revs. So in that range from low speeds to silly speeds the car kept up and I had a good laugh.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sorry mate no offence was intended [:)]

I would love to see your motor go - if you are ever up in the Stoke area let me know, because it sounds like an awesome piece of kit!!

Second thoughts, maybe not, as I will just be as disspointed in my 1.8T as I was when I went out in Tabs' anni the other week ! [:$]

·
Registered
843 Posts
well after having mine re-mapped the torque is bloody emense, so i know what you mean Mike

I sometimes get people giving it large! off the line at traffic lights and a lot of the time can get in front of them due to the torque but then they seem too start coming back around 50 - 60mph

A few times people have looked at me at the next set of traffic lights after the little boost and gave me a smile, as they seen all the black smoke come out of the exhaust, so they know its a desiel!!! And are surpised how quick it can get away from them!

Its all about the torgue!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.