Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a turbo with a small crack where the exhaust housing bolts to the exhaust manifold total junk or worth having if its cheap enough?

Can it be welded?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Wouldn't bother welding it, chances are it cracked because of differential expansion from poor mix of materials, be hard to weld for that reason. It's not total junk, the exhaust housing on the turbo can be replaced but is normally really expensive. Get a quote from VW/Audi for the exhaust housing first and go from there really.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
Why cant it be welded? I dont see why i cant aslong as you use a decent welder or someone who knows what there doing. Look what Powernut on here does, im sure welding an exhaust housing is do-able.

Peter

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think what rockmonkey is saying is that the housing probably cracked because it had a poor mix of metals, which expand and contract at diffeent rates, that in itself will make it really hard to weld because some metals require a completely different style of welding to others.

It probably can be welded but not sure how long it would last, if a poor mix is the cause of the crack.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Guess you could run it cracked but it depends how bad it is, is it on the surface that mates to the gasket or is it actually running through the inserts where the threads are?

Remember though normally once cracked it will only get worse with more heat cycles. If your turbo's not going just try and hold out a bit longer and get a new exhaust housing fitted before you put the turbo on, alot less trouble in the long run.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
reconditioners usually only do the internals and specify no cracks in exhaust housing lol

its a K04 so would be an for an upgrade, crack is on the face of the flange where it meets the gasket, not where the bolts go, its not a big crack at all.

see how cheap I can get it lol

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Should be fine there, the k04 does run quite hot and every one i've seen has hairline cracks. I would sell you my exhaust housing but it's been fitted to the turbo now [:p]

So looks like your going hybrid k04 in your mk2 [:-*]

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im going for whatever i can reasonably afford but given the space issues I have and not having squillions to spend on 4wd systems and LSD's i figure a nice 250-260 brake in a car that weighs just over a tonne should see me right.

(260 bhp and 1100 KG gives the same power to weight at an RS4)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I'm not sure if you've seen Reeve's mk2 golf but here it is anyway

Bit of inspiration for you and I agree if you can keep the weight done and sort out the handling 260ish will be fine on a track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts