Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is any one running this? wat gains are there over the stage 2? and hav you run the srage 3 on a stage 2 map?

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Personally wouldnt touch it, would spent probably less money on a decent manifold and fit the 3.0 tdi turbo with a modified actuator.

Dan

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive only done around 10k in 3yrs, but it gets hammered everywere, i was'nt aware the stage 2 was'nt reliable, ive never seen anything on here about them going pop, my stage 2 was done by turbo dynamics, do you speak from experience?

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
If it was done by Turbo dynamics and is still going strong, stick with them. Stage 3 will be fine but I find it hard to see how your getting 240hp from a stage 2 turbo

·
ah ha ha ha this nutter posted something :-)
4,319 Posts
I wasn't aware the stage 2 was reliable. How many miles you done on it?
Dan just for reference I've got a stage 2 CR on my pd it's been there for nearly 2 years and covered over 30K (and now to grab hold of a large block of wood!) so far no problems. It's have a fairly good hammering as well over the last 20 months or so.

But I'm not saying that there are not some that have had problems.

Cheers

Greg

·
B S R
1,265 Posts
I've seen a few TD stage's 2 go wrong - I sound like a broken record but the problem with the 1756 (same as the TD stage 2) is that they dont have a bigger exhaust wheel.

They fit a 56 trim wheel to the compressor side and leave the exhaust wheel stock (TD actually cut it back and make it worse).

Maybe the CR stage 3 has a bigger exhaust wheel.

Either way if its still a VNT17 based hybrid so dont expect massive gains.

Bobby

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi bobby, im probs gona get them injectors later on in the yr, and yes the stage 3 has a bigger exhaust wheel and vnt.

im just not wanting to go down the 3.0tdi route, i was going to send my stage 2 for service/bearings ans seals this yr anyway so i might aswell get it upgraded to a stage 3.

Im not expecting massive gains but there willl be gains and more efishant.

As for the 240bhp out of a stage 2 thats wat it says on the dyno chart, it probs reads high, and im sure bobby will confirm it willl hav around 225bhp.

I just want to know how a stage 3 will run with a stage 2 map because it might be a few months befor i get it mapped, prob by bobby.

·
B S R
1,265 Posts
The car will run fine with the stage 3 turbo and current map (thats if the only change is bigger exhaust wheel). You'll reduce emp and increase durability.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts