Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was shocked to discover that some stealers are charging for the use of couresty cars at service. I've booked mine in for its 40k next week and stealer wanted ?10 for it. Do you lot pay for your services at franchised stealers?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
You can probably get over this charge by confirming that your own insurance policy will cover you in the courtesy vehicle.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't really know it's like a grey area for me.  ?10 was for using their own insurance with ?250 excess.  Well, I wouldn' mind but just that I used to have the courtesy car for free from previous visits at the same stealership.

·
Registered
874 Posts
You can probably get over this charge by confirming that your own insurance policy will cover you in the courtesy vehicle.
My insurance company charge ?10 to cover a courtesy car. Robbing bar stewards.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I assume this is Listers.  I would tell them to stick it and that you will go to an Independant like Stealth.  I am sure they will change their mind then.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume this is Listers. I would tell them to stick it and that you will go to an Independant like Stealth. I am sure they will change their mind then.
Yeap...you guessed it. I'll have a word. [:p]

·
Registered
824 Posts
Try Skoda, get one for free or pay ?5 to have a ?0 excess, otherwise it's ?500 from my local one. Although they have never charged the ?5, they forget everytime!

·
Registered
459 Posts
My Bora is in at Layerthorpe in York today for it's 2nd AVS, Aircon service, Brake fluid and Rad. Fan replacing under warrenty. They wanted ?12.95 for the insurance admin charge for the loan car, but mentioned no daily fee, so I mumble they'd better give me a good sized car and ended driving away in a top spec Touran.... moon roof, cruise, climatronic etc etc.

Funny but the Touran seams to handle better than my Bora as well.... not fair

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine was in last week (to 'diagnose' the well-documented fan problem even though I told 'em that's what it was!! [:mad:]) and again this week (to have the fans fitted after they were in stock) and both times I had a courtesy car - 55-reg Polo - free of charge. The courtesy cars are apparently on a first-come-first-served basis but I'm an early bird anyway so I'm there at half 7 / quarter to 8.

This is at Gilbert Lawton in Altrincham, Manchester. Never had a problem there, surprisingly, really polite and good service every time. [:)]

·
Registered
204 Posts
Verve Glasgow charge nothing if you can insure on your own policy but will HAPPILY put you on their insurance for ?15. I thought that was a rip-off until I asked adrian flux to quote me for a day's cover in a 1.2 polo -> ?25 (well, I just wanted to inform them, didnt realise i needed a freakin quote!)

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Beadles won't let you self insure any more, as they were having too many problems with accidents (in other words, the deck hids weren't checking people's policies).

So you have bugger all choice but to pay the ?10.

And if you have more than 6 points they won't insure you either.

I'm waiting for a chance to go ape in the dealers now when I need one... Thankfully no warranty work has been required as of late! (Never have a need for a c/car when it's in for a service)

C

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
The whole concept of a courtesy car is in the title. Courtesy.

They dont have to offer you use of any car, let alone a similar model/spec. They run as a business and couldnt have Golf GTis floating about willy milly getting scuffs and picking up silly mileages. Hence they use cheap basic cars to keep their costs down of providing the customer with a better service. As for the insurance, its such a grey area, would you lend your car out not knowing if its insured?? ?10 isnt exactly robbery to know you are covered on someone elses policy. Think what they must pay for these policies!

Think yourselves lucky, my recent courtesy car fleet has been a Fiat Seicento 900cc, a T reg Daewoo Matiz 800cc in green and a 1.0 Corsa. They did the job of getting me about whilst my car was in the garage, and I enjoyed abusing the nuts off them. Of course, I would have liked the R32 he had on the forecourt, but...!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If my car was in for waranty work then if I wanted I would want a replacement car at no cost to me.  After all it is VW faults that the car is in for waranty work in the the first place. Servicing is a different matter.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Agreed, if you car is broken down inside of warranty or having warranty work done then yes they should supply you with a c/car.

But if its not, then it could be at their descretion ie is the profit from you bill going to warrant giving you a car? Call it wrong, but it is a service they are offering you, and you are putting miles and wear and tear on their car so...

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
If my car was in for waranty work then if I wanted I would want a replacement car at no cost to me. After all it is VW faults that the car is in for waranty work in the the first place. Servicing is a different matter.
In a nutshell, how I do it [:)]

C

1 - 20 of 22 Posts