Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I`m playing with the idea of swapping my PD150 for 140bhp TDI with DSG, so I`ve a couple of questions for the guys who`ve been running these cars for a while.........

Would you get DSG again? I`ve read it`s not suited to everybody.

What mpg are you averaging?

Basically, these are the things that are preventing an order, by the way, anybody got a discount on a DSG car? The sales bloke said discounts available on the 6 speed were not available on the DSG car because of demand etc etc.

Many thanks in advance, Simon.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Personally I would hold back on a DSG boxed car, as I believe that there are still quite a few teething problems with them, certainly as used in the TT V6 3.2, if judging by the number of unhappy users on the TT forum is anything to go by.

Any other comments?

John.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by Simon-S3 on 27/01/2005 10:50:45

Basically, these are the things that are preventing an order, by the way, anybody got a discount on a DSG car? The sales bloke said discounts available on the 6 speed were not available on the DSG car because of demand etc etc.

No idea about the performance of DSG but this salesperson is talking absolute rubbsish - take your business elsewhere [;)]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have driven many different Auto boxes on Peugeot's, Fords, Volvo's, and now on a Golf V GT TDI. The DSG box is by far the best I have ever driven, smooth changes, very quick to downshift when you need it, makes great use of the available torque and I would definitely get another.

It is one of the few auto's available that neither affects the CO2 output and is still Euro IV classed - which is important to me as I pay less car tax, or affects the fuel consumption - which is between 44 - 46 mpg average (it may be less around town, but then I don't do much of that).

Like most things it comes down to personal opinion, for me, I am delighted with mine.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
In auto express they did the long term test on a TDI with DSG and they were complaining about it stalling when cold...

dunno if thats still an issue with them or not?

I would lovbe DSG with the paddles but too ?? for me [:(]

·
Registered
689 Posts
I might have a look at it on my next car, probably 18months down the line. Thought it was just a bit too 'new' when i bought this car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had mine for 2 months (bought with 400 miles on the clock at the end of Nov. - and there was a deal to be done btw) and it is now showing 1500 approx. I would certainly go for DSG again (we needed an auto) as it is very quick, although as mentioned in a previous thread you can still "trick" it at times but the change is very fast so soon catches up. I do a lot of town driving but average at least 38mpg but it soon climbs to around the 45mpg mark when the traffic abates! Certainly far better than most auto diesel's which take a hammering in mpg compared to the manual versions.

I had the car stall when cold once - VW dealer re-flashed the ECU (known problem I was told) and it has been fine since. In fact the car feels more responsive at low revs since it was done so perhaps it is a minor "re-map"!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by GT Torque on 27/01/2005 13:26:02

I had the car stall when cold once - VW dealer re-flashed the ECU (known problem I was told) and it has been fine since. In fact the car feels more responsive at low revs since it was done so perhaps it is a minor "re-map"!

They will have revod it without telling you lol [:D]

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got the DSG on a Touran 2.0TDI

Would I buy it again........probably, do I like it ...Yes

+ve points - wonderful auto box, smooth, quick changes, direct drive to wheels (no slushy torque converters) no impact on MPG, soooo easy to drive in auto and sport modes

-ve points - needs to be able to hold a higher gear at lower revs and allow upchanges below 1600rpm (30mph demands 5th not 6th)

Slight lag between throttle and clutch on launch. 350NM torque limit of box won't allow any real tuning as output is already 320NM. Tiptronic mode is frantic so gearlever change is pointless as everything happens too quickly (for me anyway), would be better with paddles which I think the golf may get ....you lucky people.

The torque limit is the biggest drawback for me as I would love to fit an ECU tuning module but don't want to end up with a gearbox pan full of clutch bits and gearteeth.

MPG - around town 42-44, not being driven too conservatively.......on a long run Cardiff to Wigan M4 A40,M50,M5,M6 70-80 all the way = 52mpg.

Performance - doesn't feel as quick as a Toledo 130 I drove or the Golf DSG demonstrator at the stealers but then again the touran is a big old lump, but it just needs a bit more go 8.5sec 0-60 would be nice.

I've had no problems with it whatsoever in 6000 miles, but having read some of the earlier replies it will "develop" a stalling problem requiring a trip to the stealers just to see if the reflashing of the electronics might just eliminate that launch lag.

I got a ?2K discount off list on a personal lease 4yr/120K @ ?535

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would go for a DSG as long as I wasnt going to beef up the power.

Its not as most people have written here an 'autobox' it is in fact a manual gearbox with two wet clutches controled by the ecu which is why you dont lose performance or economy over a manual like you normaly do with an auto.

So there you go if your not modding big time go for it, if you are then maybe not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
At least in Norway, if you buy the 2.0 TDI with DSG, you cannot s elect the Webasto remote parking heater as an option. But I guess there isn't much point in a Webasto in the UK :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Gregz. Just curious, what is a Webasto remote parking heater? I'm guessing something that allows to you heat up your car on cold mornings (afternoons, evenings [:D]) without leaving oyur keys in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, the Webasto makes it possible to heat up the car remotely. The version factory installed by VW is the same you can get installed later, made by Webasto, and comes in various configurations.

It's a dedicated heater sitting next to the engine, running on either gasoline or diesel (well, for Golf V it cannot run on gasoline yet due to some hickups with the electronics in the Golf, but I guess VW will sort that out eventually).

You can program it to start at certain times (if factory installed you do this from the FIS), or you can start and stop it with a separate remote (600 meters distance), or you can do top of the line and control it from your cellphone.

It uses the normal vents in the car and heats the cabin. For summer you can program it to circulate fresh air into the car to cool it down (but the fans run on the car battery so it doesn't start the A/C).

You can also use it while driving to get the cabin heated quicker (especially nice on diesels). The control button is located in the free space below the "off" button for the A/C.

Now, of course, all this is how I _think_ (and hope) it works. I won't get my car until late this week, so then I'll find out for sure :)

More info: http://www.webasto.co.uk/general/en/am_automobile_3177.html

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote: posted by Blanctete on 30/01/2005 01:30:25

........soooo easy to drive in auto and sport modes.......

........Tiptronic mode is frantic so gearlever change is pointless as everything happens too quickly (for me anyway)......

What's the difference between sports mode and tiptronic mode?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sports is still in "auto" mode and tiptronic is when you knock the level up or down to change gear a bit like playing at being in BTCC!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote: posted by VWMichael on 30/01/2005 21:16:38

Quote: posted by Blanctete on 30/01/2005 01:30:25

........soooo easy to drive in auto and sport modes.......

........Tiptronic mode is frantic so gearlever change is pointless as everything happens too quickly (for me anyway)......

What's the difference between sports mode and tiptronic mode?

GT Torque has it about right - Tiptronic is manual +/- changes using the gearstick like a sequential box in BTCC or WRC. The gearbox will also autochange anyway just like normal auto even when in tiptronic if you hit the upper and lower rev limits.

However, as everything happens so quickly when you leather the car you are better leaving it in sport mode anyway and just let the computer deal with it. I've only found tiptronic to be of use really on country A/B roads where you can predict your changes thereby slotting it into the gear you want before the bend.

For fast getaways where you are just flooring the throttle, tiptronic is totally useless.

For sport mode it's just normal auto mode with the gearchange points higher up the rev range to use all the available rpm - it also seems to hold a lower gear in sport mode ie where auto would s elect 5th, sport wants to run in 4th.

One disadvantage I've found on the DSG (and it might just be stupid me) is forgetting which mode you are in ........pushing the stick forward for a tiptronic up change whilst accelerating merely puts the box into neutral at full revs .....ooops, very embarassing![:I] Duh!

·
Registered
166 Posts
DSG is a great system, however there are a number of problems that i feel still need to be ironed out. Go to any TT website and do a search for DSG problems and you will see what i mean. The system in my TT works fine 90% of the time, but the other 10% it feels like a 'normal' auto box with MASSIVE delay beteween gear changes. Also launch control is amazing!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote: posted by geoffone on 04/02/2005 14:24:11

DSG is a great system, however there are a number of problems that i feel still need to be ironed out. Go to any TT website and do a search for DSG problems and you will see what i mean. The system in my TT works fine 90% of the time, but the other 10% it feels like a 'normal' auto box with MASSIVE delay beteween gear changes. Also launch control is amazing!!!

launch control ?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Launch Control:

Scenario: Pole Position - Traffic Lights

Aim: To beat fellow road-users away from lights (Chav optional)

Method:

1) Foot on brake (left foot)

2) Turn off ESP

3) Select Sports Mode (move gear lever across gate)

4) Depress accelerator fully (right foot)

5) Release brake - [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Note: Launch Control will maintain 3,000 ish RPM (dependent on engine, petrol/diesel etc) and then drop clutch.

= Perfect, repeatable, consistent and quick "launches"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts