Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clicky

Labour propose rights for Council rights to eneter your home so they may photograph it to asses it for rates... IE things like double glazing will attract extra charges as will conservatories and downstairs Loos....

£1000 fine if they cannot enetr and £200 a day thereafter

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yup heard this this morning on LBC and it's a total bag of wonk if you ask me. I would imagine that the media is also doing a good job of turning into some scene from a police state but it is wrong that they can (if true) just barge in and check things.

However if I'm living next door to Bob the builder and he's added a tonne to his house but is paying the same as me it's right he should pay more. However if only cosmetic and security changes have been made such as double glazing then I would certainly expect no extra charge to be put on.

But then again we all know how these scum bags operate so time will tell.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why should he pay more????? hes already payed vat on all the building materials, vat on the extra heat and light costs!!!

I believe poll tax was the fairest way... at the end of the day I have 4 working adults living next to me and they pay the same as me and only 25% more than the pensioner next door...

Ill got prison before any council snooper is allowed in mine and my wifes bedroom... let alone the kids[:mad:]

·
Registered
918 Posts
There are also suggestions that the information gathered in the new 'homeowner selling kits' can be used to update values and check for non-authorised alterations - why the land registry values can't be used suggests to me that they are trying to 'busy' civil servants who otherwise would not have a job.

It seems odd that a single person living in a £400,000 property pays more than a family of four living in a £250,000 property (including the 25% single person discount). Surely Council Tax should be proportional to the Council services you use.

But then again, there is nothing fair about any of the tax schemes in this country (not that any other country has).

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
There are also suggestions that the information gathered in the new 'homeowner selling kits' can be used to update values and check for non-authorised alterations - why the land registry values can't be used suggests to me that they are trying to 'busy' civil servants who otherwise would not have a job.
So true. The Civl Service sector has grown by some ridiculous amount and the government describes this as a triumph, as if they have created all this new employment. Its a farce.

Im glad this is merely being discussed and will probably collapse like SIPS. This is like the window tax of years gone by; people will build false walls to hide doors to some rooms or make other rooms appear smaller when the inspector comes around, not to mention clear out there nice stuff and stash it in a lock up. It would be vastly complicated and hugely dependant on area. WILL NOT WORK.

Its simply another one of Labours ridiculous ideas to opress our lives and control the populous. I cannot believe people have voted for these clowns since 1997. The rest of the world LAUGHS at us - mention the idea of a Speed Camera to an American or Canadian and there is not a chance he will stand for it.

I am out of here in 3 years TOPS

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
The homeowning kits could be used to see if you have been doing alterations, and then, you would need to produce evidence of who did it, i.e were they corgi aproved, were they a registered electrician etc. If not, you get a fine. Will be the usual hang on to paperwork for 7 years thing. This is what I got told, but cant remember where, all to do with PPP.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The homeowning kits could be used to see if you have been doing alterations, and then, you would need to produce evidence of who did it, i.e were they corgi aproved, were they a registered electrician etc.
Again, impossible to enforce 100%...believe me....

Its this sort of thing that makes me fume - its none of your business who fitted my boiler and if it blows up, thats my problem. GET OUT OF MY HOUSE.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The homeowning kits could be used to see if you have been doing alterations, and then, you would need to produce evidence of who did it, i.e were they corgi aproved, were they a registered electrician etc.
Again, impossible to enforce 100%...believe me....

Its this sort of thing that makes me fume - its none of your business who fitted my boiler and if it blows up, thats my problem. GET OUT OF MY HOUSE.
The problem is that if a gas boiler blows up it has the potential (and tendancy) to take out the entire house - and those next to it.

Bad electrics (not neceessarily a boiler) on the other hand aren't so destructive.

This is an invasion of privacy though and unless they intend to increase the number of Council Tax bands and narrowing the width of each band (say to £10k) then there really isn't much point in valuing each property.

Civil Servants keeping (and hopefully doing) a pointless job. I can see the reports now - ' Yes I have speant the last two weeks valuing the 140 houses on the Lanmead Estate and find that they are all between £150K and £200k so none of them change banding. Although number 25 does have a nice cnservatory that means the house is worth more than number 87 that doesn't have a conservatory.' 'I'll take my wages now please.'

With regard to highlighting alterations that don't comply there is a real possibility that, for example, a conservatory that has been built in accordance with the regs to gain certification, has been altered to make a 'Habitable Room' (usually by extending the central heating into it) meaning the building doesn't comply. This could lead to problems not only with the Local Authority but with a Mortgage provider to.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just think of it this way - Go and buy a couple of Bull Terriors (maybe "hire" them for the day of the council visit).

Then tell them you are more then welcome to enter my house, but Im not responsible for my dog while you are on my property and if it bites you, tough! You are entering at your own risk! Then watch these pen pushing college drop outs that think they are important leave your house alone!

What the hell has it got to do with the goverment what I do within my house, and what I do to it to make it nicer. I pay my taxes, go and look inside some of your own council payed for houses and see whos living in those and paying as much bloody tax as me!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
When ever I read about this type of thing it angers me to the core.

I work feeking hard for my house & all thats in it & around it, & but what if my neigbour doesnt, he pays less ???

Whats the point of working & having nice things if all its going to do is cost you more, so what if a guy 2 doors up is a builder & has done stuff to make his house betetr than your, good on him I say.

I really think we need the C*&NTS out & get somebody with a piece of REAL PERSONS COMMON SENSE in power.

·
Registered
918 Posts
We were talking this morning about TV licenses and one of the secretaries mentioned that she doesn't own a TV. They [she and her husband] got loads of grief from the TV licensing agency about them not having a license. She wrote back saying 'We don't have a TV license because we don't have a TV. We do have a big dog though, should you wish to visit and look for yourselves.' [:D]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I am out of here in 3 years TOPS
This is why the country was F**KED from the 50's till the 80s , the bloody high taxing governments caused a massive brain drain, and the middle to high earners left and went to NZ, Aus and Canada and Rhodesia... this left the dross, and we had to import labour from the rest of the commonwealth, its also the reason that economically Germany Japan and the States stole a march on us for 40 years in terms of economy and standard of living...

If people Like Mike who is young inteligent entrpreunarial wealthy, self suffiecent and a high tax payer start leaving then we are all doomed.... I labour get in again, I will plan to cash in and leave when the in laws pass away.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
This really isnt much different to road tax though is it.

The 'better' the car you have (as in engine wise) the more you pay. Those that work hard to get the better car, then pay more for the privalige, they are already paying more in fuel anyway.

So they probably thought the same for homes. Those that spend money and time making their houses better, get punished financially. Those that liove in a doss pay less. It's rewarding the lazy again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
This really isnt much different to road tax though is it.

The
'better' the car you have (as in engine wise) the more you pay. Those
that work hard to get the better car, then pay more for the privalige,
they are already paying more in fuel anyway.
Using
this analogy though, your car tax will increase if you install a nice
stereo...Its a comlpete joke, but it wouldn't surprise me under the
current government.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
This is what will happen...

Millions will be spent doing the surveys.

Everyone will end up paying more council tax as a result.

Will we see better public services ?

No, we won't

Beacuse the increase will be used to pay for the admin of the surveys.

So

What is the point, spending money for monies sake

But

As said above it does create yet another tier of government and give jobs within the civil service.

What is scary is Labour and Conservative are the same, the other option being the lib dems who'll tax us into oblivion. There are no alternatives.

I say....

ANDYMAC for PM .... that's if he doesn't bugger off to Canada or where ever.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It won't be that specific I work in a connected service not council tax, before everyone hurls abuse at me, but I know a fair bit so if you ever need advice i'm your man. But I do belive they are  looking at rebanding all the properties in the UK as they were last done in 1991/92 and as house prices have changed so much and so many property alterations have been done it will need doing but they have been saying this for years so dont know when / if it will happen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts