Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I could, but I don't generally like it for commuting to work. I would probably save hundreds of pounds by not burning petrol going on random drives after work though...

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont base it on personal preference, its whether you could actually viably travel to work on public transport.

Its a big fat no for me, work 25 miles away down a motorway and would probably take about 2.5 hours to do a 25min journey on bus/train.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Could get there. But would take about 4-5 hours, without delays to get 20 miles. I know as my mum who can't drive decided in her wisdom to come to my house once on the bus. She had to walk 2 miles and took her just under 5 hours. She had done, I worked it out, around 80 miles to get here.

So by the time I have taken 4-5 hours to get to work, when I actually get there, it will be time to get on the bus back before they stop. Would get less done than I do now!

(I have printed 3500 letters today so far though!)

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
At the minute I work in Manchester 25 or so miles away - it takes me 45 mins to an hour to drive to work and an hour and 20 mins to get a train (as it's only a rural service)

The train costs the same as 2 days worth or diesel, I invariably have to stand... if it turns up at all. I use it when I'm out after work on the ale.

I'm soon moving office and although closer to home, there is no means of public transport at all to Macclesfield from here.

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
Where i work at the moment i could for some of my shifts (i work 25 miles away), but other shifts i would not be able to as the busses wouldnt run. like getting to work for 8am, when the bus takes1 1/2 hours. There are no buses before 630 for the one i need.

Not only that, i can get to work in my car in 40 minutes depending on the route i take, so it is quicker to go buy car.

I worked in Town in Bristol before where i am now, and i would take me 45 minutes or so to make the 4 mile journey on the bus, and buses in Bristol are some of the countries most expensive, and was costing £65 for a monthly ticket, and seeing as I still have to pay for the car and the insurance and the fuel to get from my house to my girlfriends house where i leave the car (no way would i leave it at my house all day), it still works out cheaper to drive.

I think if the government put something like this in place, they would have to get First (who seem to have taken over the world) to lower their prices in Bristol, and get a better service (including the drivers).

Maybe they should spend the money they are planning on ploughing into this change on improving the roads instead as most of them are a state!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i work in Bath, and live 25miles away in a little country village. With a limited bus service, where you BOOK to get a seat, and they come pick you up, id get that bus to the local town, which i have to admit is a very good service. But then id get another bus which stops at every town on the way to Bath. Like to mention that these two services dont link up, soo id actually miss the first bus and would have to wait an hour to get the next one. When i get to Bath i would have to get another bus from the bus station to where i actually work. All in all we are looking at at least 4 hours including waiting and changes to do a journey that in the morning takes an hour.

Cost wise just under £15 a day to do the journey, when i was at school, i used to do the journey a few times and it was bit of an adventure [;)] been stuck in our local town once for 2 hours for someone to come pick me up, its alot of waiting around. If youve got nothing better to do and not in a rush wasting half a day its not too bad, but in the morning rush hour and every day..no thanks.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
well, i do the the train to/from work every day! from Brighton to Croydon. One train, takes about 45-50 mins and is generally fine! the cost and effort to drive everyday would be a pain, plus parking costs are stupid! £8 a day! My ticket costs me just over 2k for a year and the company loan me it and i pay it back over 10 months! not too bad really!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Should be moving into a place which is closer to work than were am now and thats only about 10 miles, winter I could hop on the bus easy, summer I can walk it.

Used to do public transport for 2 years straight and was aweful in the morning, schools kids everywhere, 2 stops from the town centre stop and the bus would be full and go right past you, that was a huge problem, after a complaint the bus company sent me a months worth of free passes!

A new scheme for people going to work, for example I work in an industrial estate, 20+ large facilities, my bro works here too but starts very early, because his lift cancelled on him has to get 2 buses! Just 2-3 buses on a dedicated route for business people only. You get the idea.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Physically...probably. But ignoring the fact I could never take anything with me, it would take much longer and the rough monthly cost of using trains, buses and cabs for my travel (up and down to Birmingham, Kent, London etc) works out at roughly the same cost as owning and running the M3. Go figure...

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats another thing to factor! I wouldn't fancy carrying my laptop around with supplies for support (cables, mini lan switch, cd pack with about 50 cds, lunch!), it gets quite weighty and is enough just carrying it from the car to the school/office!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I get the tram to work everyday, and it is without a doubt the best way for me to get here; but it only works for me because I work in town and the tram stop is 5 mins from my house. Last week i drove to work which was better because I was in my own space, didnt have to have my walkman on, and wasnt surrounded by scabs on the tram.. however it took me longer to get to work, I had to speed around the rat runs to avoid the traffic and then i had to park out of town in a residential area to avoid paying for parking which meant I was worried about the car all week. Cost wise im not sure how much was in it, i recon its about 5 miles each way to work, and the tram is £10 for a weekly pass which also allows me to use certain buses. ... [+o(]

I would hate to see the government introduce a system of pay as you drive though, it would be horrendous and totally unfair.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If I could walk out of my door to the bus stop, catch a bus straight away to the train station, catch a train to London, the tube to another train station to come back out of London in a different direction, then get a cab to work, it would take probably 3 hours, so I reckon about 4 in practice.

It takes me 40mins max to drive to work. Transport outside of the big cities is absolute pants!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm a bus driver i could get the bus for free. But i dont be cos there are no buses at 5am(well there are but im not gettin up hours before i have to).

·
Registered
602 Posts
I live 7 miles from work and had to get there last year using public transport when my car was in the garage.

In the car it takes 8 minutes in the morning and 15 in the evening and probably costs about £1 ish?

When I had to get the bus i had to walk the first mile of my journey then get on a bus full of school kids and go through all the sleepy villages, this took about 1.5hrs and cost about £6 return, i then had to walk another 2miles at the end of my journey or stay on the bus for 5 miles past my destination and wait for half hour to get another bus out of the town centre to the estate i work on.

The journey took me over 2hrs on the bus instead of 10 mins and cost 3x as much and i had to walk nearly hallf of it.

Oh and that day i was at work at half 9 instead of my usual half 7.

So i voted no

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
i do you trains to get to work

ie 15 min walk to station or 5 min bike ride

get the over head train into stratford and then dlr to canary wharf takes about 45 mins door to work and cost me £27.20

if i take the car it take me between 50mins - 1.5 hours and cost about £40 petrol

so public transport for me is better

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
No.

I live 7 miles from work which takes 10 minutes in the car from the edge of Aberdeen to an industrial estate just south of the city. Cycling is not a safe option due to the busy road and dark nights in the winter, plus due to having no shower at work, I would be stinking all day.

To go by public transport would take one bus in the wrong direction in to town at £1.50 (no off peak discounts available at working hour times) and another bus out to the industrial estate. Total time 1 hour +/-. Back home, hit or miss with buses arriving at the estate. You are lucky to get a seat, and the buses are not the best.

So, 20 minutes a day by car, costing 1 gallon of fuel plus wear and tear, £8. Bus is 2+ hours and £6. Sorry, but even if the difference was double or treble, I would still take the car.

Regardless, my car is company funded car and it needs it to be at the office to go and visit customers at the drop of a hat. So I have no choice but to take it so I would get shafted, like it or not, anyway. I would expect to have some sort of re-imbursement from the company financially if the government were going to screw me for having a company funded car at work. This increases costs for the company which increases prices, which increases inflation and creates more problems.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Hmm.. Public transport.. just about. Train - end of my road, then a ten min trip to the big station, the prolly wait for 20 mins for the train to the nearest station to work. then get there and then walk into the town to get the work shuttle to the site.

Or... pay 80p to get the work bus (i.e.luxury coach) from the end of my road (300 yards away and from december, 10 yards away) to do a 40 min, eight mile trip to work. 20 mins in the car or half hour on the bus for 80p, not putting miles on the car in stop start traffic and getting £2 a day for not driving in - Though I still drive in at the mo.. [^o)]

So public transport, no, work transport, yes ! With any public or work transport, you lose the flexibility of when you start or leave work [:^)]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.