Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

looking into the idea of going self employed, something i've always wanted to do an sick of getting turned down for jobs. Did yous find that survey was easy to understand a folloed a clear path?

Dean

·
Registered
586 Posts
Done, remember though that there are tons of folk in here who work in IT (me included) and may deal with problems themselves so don't get dis-heartened if the results from here aren't great.

Good luck [:D]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Done , but as said above most people work in IT here, might be worth asking the question outright with a description of what you want to do...

Fixing PC's for a living is not very easy, really you need small business and small offices to have maintenance contracts with you to make any kind of regular income.. Joe Bloggs on the street would much rather give PCworld £60 a time... and even if you could charge £60 a time (which you couldnt) you would need at least 2 calls a day to make it worthwhile.

Right few questions

hows your networking knowledge?

hows your webddesign skills?

Office Skills (Macros / Excel / Word)?

Windows XP Pro skills?

Server 2003 Microsfot Exchange or SBS 2003?

Printer Maintenance?

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Done. Does this mean you'll waive the call out fee??!!! [;)]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Done but from question 8 to 9 if you s elected Never used one before in number 8 it doesn't have an option in number nine even though it says

9. If yes to the above question, How much did the work cost?

but if you selelcted never used one before theres nothing to click.. so i left mine empty lol but thats just a survey design fault.. and good look in goin self employed.

Sat [y]

·
Registered
530 Posts
Completed Survery.

I think this is a good road to go down, im in the IT Industry and know a good bit about PC's etc, from my experience Companies i know tend to go for the local guy as the service is better, friendlier and very flexible and not costing an arm and a leg. We use a local guy and would not go elsewhere!!!

Good luck, and i wish you every success!!!

Noel

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone.

Some great advice there. I had a feeling that there would be a lot of people in an IT profession on here but the info has still been really useful.

I would say that my knowledge is at an advanced level but would not class myself as an expert. I have no working experience in the field of IT but have a few qualifications. But as technology changes so often i would probably have to jog the mind and learn about the new technology.

In an ideal world this is how i would like things to pan out.

I have a garage that has been turned into at workspace which i would use as the workshop. I would probably do this part time to start with and stay in my current job or another part time job just to get a little bit of money rolling in. If there is a big enough demand in my area (giving that there are 2 PC worlds within 15 miles of where i live) I have a friend that would be interested in going into a partnership. Thus cutting my induvidual costs although the profits aswell. I would work on a collect - fix - return basis. The services i feel I am competent to offer at the moment included: PC repair, PC upgrade, netwrok installation and problem solving, Building PCs to suit (i.e gamers, offices etc). I would have a website for infomation purposes but doubt i would sell over the site.

My main issues are:

Sourcing parts at a price to return a profit. I dont want to be known as the guy that fixes your computer but rips you off aint that what the big companies are for?

Obtaining a top rate reputation. I believe this will be quite hard with me just start out. From the response to the survey so far, without the good reputation there is no custom.

Thinking about it, should there be enough demand around my area, I beleive I don't have much to lose. I understand that it may cost in excess of £5000 to get it going but thats all i can think off should it fall through. And if i keep my job on part time I also have that to fall back on . I understand that its not as simple as i might have made it out to be.

any more advice would be fantastic

Thanks again

Dean

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
My 1st bit of advice would be .. get a job in IT any job, even if its someones monkey for 10 grand a year in 6 months you will have learnt soo much more than gaming pc's and home networks.

Seriously I know so many people that think they are amazing with pc's and try to diy a business, it just doesnt work there really isnt the demand for a 10 grand a year living at it, you need small businesses with 2 pc's upwards to be regular customers, now to service these you need real world experiecne in a business enviroment.

Ask in your local wholesalers or big pc shops if they have vacancies? thsi will also lead you onto viable wholeslaers, even the likes of ebuyer are expensive compared to some component wholesalers.

Please I cant stress this enough work in it first even if it is for 6 months only..

You wont get rich repairing home pc's however get 10 or so businesses with 2 to 50 pcs each all on a maintenance contract with 2-5 call outs per week each and lost of preventative sales such as backup software and anti virus sofatware you would make a nice 30k+ a year and have a business that is quite viable to sell.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts