Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to rather like the Mk5 now I've seen a few, esp the front, and strike me down I like the interior too...

VW seem to have a finance offer on the Mk5 GT TDIs.. (til 30th Sept) and it looks good. Esp seeing as my car will be worth JACK all when the new GTI arrives..

My car is subtley 'adjusted' in the ECU dept which I'm not bothered about as I could 'adjust' a new car accordingly too. I don't do all that many miles but I'd have the 2.0 TDI over the 2.0 FSI any day. Please tell me that I'm wrong to go and talk to the dealer about it, because if you don't, I might.

And if I test drove one, I know fine well it would be a bigger barrel of laughs than my Mk4.. Oh dear..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Had a Mk5 2.0 TDI for a long w/e back in April and LOVED it. The way the power is delivered is just right for me, and the torque........Ahhhhhhhhh! The handling is superb as well. My wife liked the dual climate control as well, so that was a plus point.

If I was changing my car in the near future, I would be seriously thinking about a TDI of some description, even if I only do a few miles a week. It is not necessarily the financial side of only doing a few miles, but the driving experience you are getting. Let's face it, if we were worried about the money, we would never buy a car in the first place!

John.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've been a diesel convert for quite a while now and the driving style suits me - more relaxed, lots of torque and dead handy for 30-50, 50-70 i.e. the useful speeds. You can 'adjust' them easily, the engines are bomb proof, no more spark plugs etc and I like the fact that it doesn't need to be revved to infinity to get it to go and the fact that I can regularly get 530+ miles from a tank also helps [;)] The MkV is growing on me too. I'm thinking of saving me mod budget for a year then getting the 140ps (or the 160 [:D] )

Go on, go Derv you know it make sense [^]

ps What finance offer is it?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: posted by NETDI on 24/09/2004 10:19:16

ps What finance offer is it?

Just one of their solutions ones. But a much lower apr than normal. 4k deposit then 250 pm for 3yrs with baloon at the end (but 3yrs is trade in time). I might go and have a sniff about this afternoon. Offer runs til 30th sept

I had a Mk4TDI 90 about 4 yrs back. Really liked that but it wasn't quick enough so I ended up with my 1.8T GTI which is great fun. But I'm wondering whether to trade the GTI before the new GTI comes out as I reacon the prices may go into freefall. The 140TDI really sounds very interesting indeed [:D]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just one of their solutions ones. But a much lower apr than normal. 4k deposit then 250 pm for 3yrs with baloon at the end (but 3yrs is trade in time). I might go and have a sniff about this afternoon. Offer runs til 30th sept

Interesting... Not sure about the PCP deals, suppose you'd have to weigh up the pros and cons. See what the minimum trade in price on it would be in 3 years. There are a couple of MkVs in the street now both black - they do look good. My local dealer even has a few in second hand - 53 and 04 plates. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a demon on one shoulder going "DO IT.. DO IT" (starsky and hutch style) and an angel on the other one saying "BEHAVE!!"

Grr.. One local-ish dealers got a 2.0GT-TDI in, 7k on clock, under 17k. See these things are sent to tempt me.

Thing thats in my mind is that suspension.. mmmm. Been in my mate's A3 Sport a few times and the handling truely is amazing. Same set up as the MkV GT...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Got a demon on one shoulder going "DO IT.. DO IT" (starsky and hutch style)

Well it can't hurt to go and see what the crack is, can it?

I know that the MkV was updated earlier this year (May?) different dash computer (newer ones have a picture of the car showing doors open etc) It might be worth asking MkV owners on here. I suppose it all comes down to do you want to ("well do ya", Clint Eastwood stylee) If the cost to change ain't to bad, what have you go to lose? "Do it..Do it...."

·
Registered
323 Posts
The driving in the Golf I think is slightly better than the A3, there is a slightly different feel to driving it, which I like with it feeling more like a rear wheel drive car.

Also have you thought of car supermarkets, seen the GT TDi going for 15700 now. Worth thinking about, as it is a brand new car.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Motorpoint here in Derby have em for 15599 delivery miles. Thats a saving of 3k compared to dealers..

Doubt they would match VW's trade in on mine, but I may take a look down there (its only 5 mins away ;)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm getting used to the looks even thou it has a bit of a saggy ass but the interior is poor copaired to the Mk4 IMO... the plastic looks cheaper and has rough edges and what is that steerin wheel all about!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote: posted by Geeba on 24/09/2004 11:53:27

I'm getting used to the looks even thou it has a bit of a saggy ass but the interior is poor copaired to the Mk4 IMO... the plastic looks cheaper and has rough edges and what is that steerin wheel all about!!!

GTI's steering wheel is a bit bizarre aye.. Think the normal ones are ok though. Where's me brochure...

·
Registered
223 Posts
How about trying drivethedeal.com? Could get a quote from them and ask dealer to match it? They are very competitive and all UK sourced; you'd have to sell your's privately though.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The handling is pretty good alright, I've thrown mine around some corners and it makes you smile how much it sticks, especially compared to the MKIV!

As you know UJ I had a 1.8T before the A3 and in real life driving (forget your on paper blah!)it's just quicker. There's no way if around 50 MPH you suddenly floor it in 4th that a 1.8T will stay with you instantly.

I don't do diesel miles either, I've had my car nearly 6 months now and there's only 7K on it but it was more for the PD factor that I bought it over the FSI.

The only way I'm going to be able to stomach that valance and the interior is if it has a 2.0T under the bonnet so for me it'll be the GTI or nothing but I say go for it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just been down to Motorpoint in Derby. They have one in (Coastal blue, not fond of that colour!!) which I had a nose around. ?15500, plus an extra 300 quid off. Thats good compared to dealer.

Got some figures based on mine as PX and it works out I'd pay pretty much the same PM as my current car. Which is obviously quite tempting. But not that car. I'd need it in black!!

The car had only arrived yesterday and wasn't ready to be allowed on the road so I couldn't test drive it. Did start up the engine though. Its very quiet for a diesel, esp considering the engine was cold and there's only 5 miles on the clock!! Feels very free revving too.. mmm.. nice!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Beware - the Motorpoint ones may be imports and not up to UK specification, see 1.0 here:

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/pages/terms.htm

[:(!]

Particularly pay attention to ESP and alarm which are not standard in some other European territories on Mk5 GT TDI.

Even if they ARE full UK specification, expect to take a hit on trade-in as it not been supplied by UK dealer.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by golf140 on 24/09/2004 15:15:09

Beware - the Motorpoint ones may be imports and not up to UK specification, see 1.0 here:

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/pages/terms.htm

[:(!]

Particularly pay attention to ESP and alarm which are not standard in some other European territories on Mk5 GT TDI.

Even if they ARE full UK specification, expect to take a hit on trade-in as it not been supplied by UK dealer.

The one they have was UK spec and came with ESP and alarm. It was an import tho.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good news,

If you live so close it is handy you can just keep popping down every now and again.

Just keep waiting till a black one comes in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts