Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we bought our house, we were aware that the attached garage was...er...in need of repair. It is not tied into the house - more kind of lean-to style. The rear wall is bowed and the front dips above the garage door. Oh, and the roof is a thinly disguised seive.

Needless to say, no car ever goes in there as it looks in danger of collapse ( and came up on our survey as such )

Does anyone know how much a garage costs to demolish and rebuild ? We've been quoted ?12000-?15000 which seems utterly ridiculous !

Thanks

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I know nothing about building and costs, but that does seem a little steep considering it should be in theory a simple build with simple materials and construction.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
When we bought our house, we were aware that the attached garage was...er...in need of repair. It is not tied into the house - more kind of lean-to style. The rear wall is bowed and the front dips above the garage door. Oh, and the roof is a thinly disguised seive.

Needless to say, no car ever goes in there as it looks in danger of collapse ( and came up on our survey as such )

Does anyone know how much a garage costs to demolish and rebuild ? We've been quoted ?12000-?15000 which seems utterly ridiculous !

Thanks
That does sound utterly ridiculous I recon you could have an extension for that much money, there certainly isn't much invovled in building a garage especially if the footings are good, it would just be a case of knock down and rebuild, if the footings are knackered then it would cost you a bit more I would have thought.. but not ?12-15K [:O]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is a concrete base in place but we would like the garage to be re-built about 1ft wider than it currently is so that we can put a car away if necessary. I saw one website which reckoned about ?8K which is plenty IMO....

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
we would like the garage to be re-built about 1ft wider than it currently is so that we can put a car away if necessary
Novel concept obviously, using a garage to store a car in. Must be why houses are built with garages that struggle to accomodate anything larger than a Daewoo Matiz these days...

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the house was build in the '30s so I guess I'd get a model T Ford or an Austin 7 in, no problem. But no chance of the Golf or the BMW getting in ( unless I had a good run up[:p] )

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
if you are going to do that at least do it in the golf as you will look slightly more dignified climbing out of the boot!! [:D]

It makes a bit more sense now seeing as you want it to be wider, as they will have to increase the foundations slightly which will invlove a digger etc, still alot of money, have you thought about doing an extension as well whilst you are at it? or at least consider having a garage that can be easily built on if necessary which would require deeper foundations etc..

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have existing planning permission for a 2 storey side extension - but Surrey builders wanted ?80K about 6 months ago - on top of that is a new kitchen, bathroom, tiling etc etc. So we're currently having a conservatory built which is 15' x 12' which was cheaper than extending to the rear ( builders wanted ?35K for that ).

Ideally, I'd like to extend to the rear of the garage so that we can have a utility room but its all down to the money. Natalie doesn't want to borrow any money and finding cash for a conservatory and cash for a garage re-build within 3 months of each other is tricky !

Yes, think we'll have the footings done so we can add a second floor when funds allow...

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Get your pick-axe, shovel and wheelbarrow out like I'm doing !!

Save yourself ???'s and get toned at the same time !

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yeh yeh...

That's what I thought until I got into some serious pick-axe action.

What else could be more important of an evening than doing a bit of floodlit digging ?

But alas (see rain thread) rain has stopped play here.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
CTP... do you have a different jumper to wear when digging holes? or do you wear the special car cleaning jumper for that as well??

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
CTP... do you have a different jumper to wear when digging holes? or do you wear the special car cleaning jumper for that as well??
When you say ' special car cleaning jumper' do you refer to the 'rag' he mops the spills up with ?!?!?!

Jay

·
Registered
931 Posts
depends on size of garage, single skin, or cavity wall? openings other than main door. what sort of roof? flat? pitched?

add to that cost of new bricks/blocks, sand cement etc...

expect to pay ?75ish per cubic meter of concreate.

plus labour costs............ soon adds up.

where bouts you from mate?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
CTP... do you have a different jumper to wear when digging holes? or do you wear the special car cleaning jumper for that as well??
Funnily enough, yes I do have a favourite digging jumper, it is a blue one.

However.... shock horror, I have been known to wear my brown car jumper whilst digging and my blue digging jumper whilst working on the car.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
When you say ' special car cleaning jumper' do you refer to the 'rag' he mops the spills up with ?!?!?!

Jay
Oi !!!

Don't take the **** out of my car jumper....

Remember, this is YOUR bike !

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
What size is it ?

If you want ,say a 4 meter by 5 meter unit you would be looking at about 10 grand.

Thats at ?50 per foot square,or ?500-550 a meter.

When i have to give a ball park figure, depending on finnishes,

Garage...?550 pms

Houses/Large extentions...?850 pms for basic shell

Nice finnish...?100 pms

Oak / limestone floors,under floor heating,fitted vanitys,solar pannels...?125-?150 pms.

Not including the cost of kitchen or bath/shower suite's,but does include the fitting

Depends where you are as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts