Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an R32. COuld shome help me out by giving me the facts on Servicing cost???

How much have you R32 owners out there spent on your R32 this year?

Cheers

Darren

·
Registered
666 Posts
?120 on a 10k oil service and a lot on fuel and insurance.

Tyres still going strong at 15k miles!

They seem pretty easy to look after in general.

·
Registered
12 Posts
really, thats a great price!!! I currently have a BMW M series and they charge a bomb at the dealer. Thats the reason why i want an R32.

Looks like i better start the hunt for one then. What should i look out for when buying one?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yeah...apart from the oil services. The R32 isn't that much cheaper to run compared to an M.

They charge a lot for looking after a BMW M due to the way those inspection lights come on. [B)]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Fuel costs are probably the most expensive part of the R32 ownership proposition[!]. 10k serivce was about ?110 at VW, tyres can't say yet as they are fine but the fronts look like they are wearing quickest. For yourself, insurance might be pricey, looking at your profile[?]

Let me know which "M" you have as I can give you insights on the comparisons, obviously depending on the BM

·
Registered
48 Posts
?18 per month for the VW finance service scheme which covers servicing and tyres plus fuel (optimax), tax and insurance. If you are called Darren you are so young that insurance will be ?++++ [:)].

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well, I do about 450 miles a week in mine. It costs about ?50 for 360 miles, therefore I spend about ?63 a week on fuel.

First service (19000 miles) cost me a whopping ?260.

However, tyres are incredible. Am going to change them in about a fortnight. I swapped the fronts and the backs at about 10000 miles and as a result, they've survived 21000 miles including 9000 miles of being a dealership demonstrator !! Plus, I'm not exactly gentle with them.

Will deffo be buying Michelins again simply because they offer decent grip AND also last the distance.

FYI, my insurance is ?800 a year. I'm 26 with 4 years NCB.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 16/09/2004 23:16:12

Like Doc says, petrol is the biggest cost of owning this car!

Can't stop driving the thing, I'm putting on atleast 250 miles a week, and I actually don't use the car to commute!

That made me laugh[:D]LMAO....I only use the car to go to the train station and back, admittedly approx 20 miles round trip but somehow the miles just keep racking up. In fact I had a Mini Cooper S as a car to go to and from the station but it started gathering dust in the garage so I got rid[:I]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I like the thought of having good fuel economy but like also to have some grunt under the bonnet.

My car is a chipped PD130 (diesel)

I drive my car pretty hard but do alot of longer journeys, getting around 42mpg long-term average perhaps, or maybe 44mpg say.

For my 22k miles a year, that works out at around ?1900/annum on fuel.

If you bought an R32, i reckon you'd get 24mpg on a similar kind of use / driving style.

For same mileage, that would cost around ?3400/annum on fuel.

The difference is ?1500/year, or ?30/week, ?125/month.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got an insurance quote for ?850, that was with Churchill. My car cost about ?20 per week on fuel. I do around 140 Miles. I really would like a newish car now as my BM is a 97' plate.

I'm going to test drive a R32 on saturday. will let you know how i get on. What chould i look out for when looking at one guys? I know about the ECU upgrade so i'll check about that. Any other info would be wonderful.

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Squeeky seats, rattling seat belt holders, tears in leather on side bolsters (where people have been lazy getting in and out)...sorry, in a rush, will post more later. :)

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Not much to look out for really, most stuff will be under warrenty such as:

Lazy power delivery below 2.5k revs (needs an ECU remap from VW under warrenty)

Rattling front selt belt buckles - (although no cure, just poorish design)

Uneven tyre wear - points to either accident damage, poor alignment, or poor driving

Check interior for wear and tear. Leather Seats go saggy very quickly, not much can be done, but push for warrenty claim!

Check for clutch strength - floor it and see if it pulls or slips

Check under bumpers/sump for any signs of road hump damage (car is quite low)

I can honestly say, touch wood, that after 16 months and 19k miles, this car has been 99% faultless.

Whatever you do, enjoy the testdrive!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nowt to look out for is you buy Mine!!! [:D]

PM for details. Only 9 months old and is as good as new. Have to sell due to redundancy [:(]

·
Registered
666 Posts
With the leather seats - As soon as I got mine (with 5k miles on it) I used leather conditioner on every single bit of either real or fake cow hide.

Now on 15k miles and the seats still seem fine - Takes a while to put it on but well worth the effort.

Oh and I can't get the squashed insects totally off my bonnet/wingmirrors after my loony run in France (120+ all the way and got up to 145mph!).

If it's even vaguely feasible then you must get one - Be compared to a junior 911 Carrera 4 with a boot by a couple of journos (and my Dad!) all for around ?20k![:D]

·
Registered
70 Posts
?18 per month for the VW finance service scheme which covers servicing and tyres plus fuel (optimax), tax and insurance.

Ummmm.....was it just me that noticed this...?!?!?

Surely you mean ?18 per week??? And im still thinking that would be worth it bearing in mind how much I pay for fuel and insurance!!

Where do i sign?!?!

Calum.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts