Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Best Comment!

The rear seat thing, It is rare that I fold them down, but it has to be said that when folded they remove a bit of weight. Vertical seats exert more downward force because the energy is focused on a smaller surface area. When horizontal, the weight is spread and so is less per Centimetre squared.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well I took the parcel shelf out of my 1.4 a few weeks ago, and my god it must of been at least as quick as the 1.8 non turbo GTi. I was going to badge it up, but thought the badges would undo all my weight saving............ [;)]

Peter

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Going for a dump prior to driving anywhere and of course driving naked are two key weight saving measures he's missed!

What a numpty!

·
Registered
249 Posts
This guy's soooo far away in cuckoo land, he probably thinks that the 'tooth fairy' exists!!! Laughed so hard, nearly fell of my chair (work collegues wondering what the hell is going on!)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh....my....good god......is this guy for real? 1.2l corsa, getting 9.2 0-60, is that correct? A stock 150 PD, is 8.6 or something, jeeeese, im not gonna race any gold 'VXR' looking corsas ever again, especially if it has the rear seats folded down! LMFAO!!!! Thats gonna keep me going for a while! HA!

·
Registered
266 Posts
So, if i frisbee all my CD's out the window on the way home, i should be able to take on Ferrari's....oh yeah and lay my seats down <------ funniest thing ive heard all year! PMSL!

·
Registered
266 Posts
He may well be literate, but at the time, have no common sense?! You can be a very educated person but if you have no common sense, you can come across stupid. Especially if you know nothing about cars?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ah man, he's deleted his original post! Booooooooooooo! Thats such a classic it should be there for everone to see...stop....point and laugh at this moron!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ah man, he's deleted his original post! Booooooooooooo! Thats such a classic it should be there for everone to see...stop....point and laugh at this moron!
Managed to recover this much from another thread. Maybe with people cutting various parts out to point and laugh at, we could rebuild the entire post... [;)]
The last comment is my particular favourite.

It has no extra weight in the car, all glove compartments, cubby holes
and the boot is empty. The rear exhaust may or may not add power. It
has only ever run on Optimax, I know you get more boost out if this fuel on bigger engined cars but every little helps. The tyres are always inflated to 38 PSI to give extra grip and less tyre slouch. Often I put the rear seats flat, this reduces weight.
(Like why you crawl flat across a frozen pond so as not to break the
ice). I regularly drive with around ?10 of fuel, again weight saving,
and often I use engine cleaner in the fuel load to remove debris from
the fuel injectors. The car is always clean improving aerodynamic progress.

·
Registered
272 Posts
OMG I didnt see this bit before:

"The car is always clean improving aerodynamic progress"

Ahhh.. so thats why dirty trucks are soooo slow on the motorway!

And as for the 38 PSI- why not remove the tyres completely?! Reduces valuable weight and gives zero tyre slouch! (good traction isnt required, hence the 38 PSI to start with!)

I would prbably also offer the following advice to our Corsa friend:

1) Drive with only ?5 of fuel (half the fuel, double the top speed.. surely..)

(or buy your ?10 of fuel in a permium motorway service station, more expensive fuel = less weight for ?10)

2) Fully recline the passenger seat (saves even more weight)

3) Have the engine oil on the minimum level and empty washer fluid etc (its all about the kgs!)

4) wear no shoes/pants

or to really bump up the power, trade in your Corsa for a 1.3L Nova (which will probably have all the above mods anyway!)

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can all mock all you want... but I think this guy has a point. I'm gonna spend the entire bank holiday weekend removing that nasty 150BHP torquey diesel that that's weighing down the front of my Golf and shoe-horn in one of those 1.2VXR corsa engines. I want a "Track Weapon" just like him...

I'll start tomorrow... just as soon as I finish my medication... [:D]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts