Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I've spoken to the garage, vw still can't find a fault.

But what's basically happening is the fans are running even when the engine isn't going nor is the climate control on.

So basically the fans are constantly running and only stop when the battery dies.

Andy or anyone does this help?

I do hope so.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the garage implied I'm paying for the vw garage to carry out this work even when I knew nothing about it until last night when he said it had been there all day. Surely they can't expect me to pay, I've already spent ?830 and need to pay for this new part so about ?1000.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car gets to 90 really quickly and stays constant so would this not mean it's working alright? It didn't do this until the climate control box was replaced, so do you think it could be something else?

As I said fans work even if engine is not running and aircon is totally off.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
The thermostatic switch on the rad maybe (F18), this would have nothing to do with clima and would cause the fans to come on full bore.

I would pull the connector off the thermostatic switch to see if the fans stop (bet they do). Or pull fuse Nr 8 to see if they stop.

If not, I'd suspect the fan contol module itself.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the main control box control all this also then?

It's strange how all you guys know all this and VW are scratching there heads.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yes and no.

The fan controler takes inputs from both the climatronic and or aircon system as well as the thermostatic switch in the rad. (there is an input from the ecu as well).

I don't exactly know how it does it or how it is internally wired but would suspect that it acts simply as a changeover relay where the fan operation is concerned with the thermostatic switch.

The very first thing I'd do is pull the connector of for the therostatic switch, which is mounted on the radiator.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, well, I'll tell the garage to try that because I haven't got the car as it's at VW Autohaus. Trouble is I work 45 miles away from where my car is so I can't just pop around and see them.

Would one of the switches cost a lot to replace?

Also if it is faulty would it cause the fans to just run even when the engine/cc is off?

If so we could be getting somewhere, hopefully.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yes,

If the thermo switch goes closed circuit, the fans will just run.

However,

As said above, I don't know how the fan controller is wiring internally, so there may be a possibility that it could be at fault.

If it were mine, I'd try and diagnose the fault by work from the fans back towards the fan controller, eliminating each part of the circuit in turn.

Any garage should know this.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers mate, once again you're another very helpful chap.

You would hope they use some logic on this, I expect a decent service from the dealers, even though I never took it to them, I'm worried I'm going to get stung with a huge bill because the garage I took it to couldn't get to the bottom of the problem even after I've spend ?830 already with them trying to get my climate control working, summer will be over before I finally get a cold car.

So it's all pointing towards this thermo switch they need to check.

I shouldn't even be doing the garages work for them.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Yes,

If the thermo switch goes closed circuit, the fans will just run.

However,

As said above, I don't know how the fan controller is wiring internally, so there may be a possibility that it could be at fault.

If it were mine, I'd try and diagnose the fault by work from the fans back towards the fan controller, eliminating each part of the circuit in turn.

Any garage should know this.
Does this help ?

Posted Image

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well only phoned them 3 1/2 hours ago and still waiting for their call back to update me. Never use Tanvic in Corby Northants ever guys!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to phone the garage later to find what the hell they are playing at, they have had my car since Monday morning now, it's bloody ridiculous.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally spoken to the stealers at 14:00 on 5 days after they have had it, apparently it's the fans that are faulty, resistor blown. They are onto the factory to see if they can sort some sort of compensation out for them. I let them know it's a common problem, let's see what they come back with.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Finally spoken to the stealers at 14:00 on 5 days after they have had it, apparently it's the fans that are faulty, resistor blown. They are onto the factory to see if they can sort some sort of compensation out for them. I let them know it's a common problem, let's see what they come back with.
Not being funny but I told you they were trying to rip you off...... the dealers are well aware of the fan issue and always try to ripun-knowledgable people off for at least one thousand pounds to change everything in the air consystem before they get too the fans........

The dealers have had more technical bulletins on this problem than anything else so they know what it is .... have you a warranty?

you need to read and print off on howto diagnose your fans and go and test them yourself as per those instructions.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not the dealers who have been doing my climate control, it's a family run business with garages around the country call Tanvic Tyres. They took my car to VW Autohaus when this problem developed after replacing the control box.

I made the vw garage aware I know of the problem as it's very common and that I'm not happy with the situation. So at least they might not try a bullshit me. I'm still waiting on the phone call to what they are going to do about it as it's a defective part. The manager there said he was waiting on a phone call from the factory as to whether they can come to some sort of arrangement. Well here's hoping they can, fingers crossed. No unfortunately no warranty, it was a private sale.

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts