Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few days I've been having a problem with the "check coolant" notice, it's really weird!.

I put the key in and turn on the ignition - normaly play with sterio/light a ciggy! and i get a "beep-BEEP!!" check coolent!

The same happens if i turn the car on too, but ONLY if i dont move. If i get in the car and drive away its fine and no porblems - i've checked and there is nothing loose that related to this - i had the water pump/cambelt changed 6mths ago.

If i get this warning turn the car total off and then start over but get moving asap it NEVER happens!

Any ideas of what this could possibly be or how to recitfy!?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any ideas at all?

dont really want to be giving up the car for a day to get cheked just to find out it's something simple i can change myself!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
As far as Iam aware this is another Golf problem which is usually down to a dodgy coolant level switch. My did exactly the same this morning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

A common problem indeed, related to the coolant level sensor in the coolant expansion bottle. Replace the bottle (fairly cheap I seem to remember, maybe ?12 ish from dealer) and the problem will go away :) Easy job.

Nick

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was having exactly the same problem. Start up the car, STOP 'check coolant' would appear in the display.

Drive off, do about 300 yards and the warning would go.

Changing the expansion bottle done the trick. It only cost ?7.99 for eurocarparts.com and i fitted it in less than half a hour.

2 screws, 2 hoses and a sensor plug is all you need to remove. Honestly it was that easy.

There is no need to drain the system, just remove the bottom hose last and when you pull if off put your finger over the end of the

spout to stop the coolant running all over your engine and then pour it away.

When you put it all back together fill the system back up with G12 antifreeze (RED in colour) ?4.25 from euro to between the min and max mark

and away you go.

Hope it works for you all. Let us know if it does not.

·
Registered
222 Posts
LOL! Mad eh......mine's just started doing it as of this morning too - going to check coolant level tonight but sounds an identical problem to yours!!! [:)]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine has done this a couple of times. Although the water level has by no means been at 'min', topping it up to maximum has cured it so far.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
i had this today , jumped in cars started her up and STOP Coolent level , thought oh god here we go

so switched her off and tried again , same thing happened , so poped bonnet it seemed ok , but put some in just incase

ie topped it up to max took about 1/8 of a pint , tried again and she was ok [:D]

and this has been the first bit of realy cold weather since i have had the car

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That woked for me first time also - worked for about a week then ended up changing the expasion bottle and no problems since.

might be worth having a look at that if it re-occurs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi would anyone happen to have the part number for the expansion tank
as im getting this too now its got cold! I had a look on the
www.eurocarparts.com mentioned in an above post and there is a
Expansion Tank with Sensor for ?8.99. That sound like the right one?

Cheers

Joe

·
Registered
894 Posts
Seems this is a bit of a problem at the moment, what I would suggest is to buy a bottle of G12 coolant first and just top your system to the max mark (cured mine), then if you have no luck get a replacement tank, at the end of the day you will have to buy the G12 anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been having this problem too for a while now, seems to get worse as weather gets colder, anyways got a new expansion bottle and fitted it yesterday. Has been fine since. [;)]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
VAG Part no for expansion bottle - 1J0 121 403B, seem to be the same part no for the 1.8T and TDI's

Euro car parts - 205440420
GENUINE EXPANSION TANK - GOLF 4/BORA GOLF4/BORA/TT/A3. ?7.99 + VAT

I'm going to swap mine tomorrow. I'm going to see if the Eurocar parts is OEM part.

I hope the part no's help

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cheers for that. Although i forgot to ask for the part number the VW
part is ?10.03p from my local stealer. He seemed to know it of the top
of his head as well so im guessing he has sold a few of late :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mine has done this a couple of times. Although the water level has by no means been at 'min', topping it up to maximum has cured it so far.
had the same problem and the same cure. filled it up to max and its been fine since.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Lol, mine did this last night. Got out and checked the level, looked ok. Started her up again and it was fine. Topped it up a bit when I got home just in case but will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have had the same problem . Car recently overheated and had to change the thermostat, water pump and temp.sender. Can only be the expansion bottle now! Definitely gets worse with the cold ......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts