Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Over the past couple of days I have been having to top up my coolant level in a morning as just after starting it pings up staying stop check coolant, check the expansion tank and the level is low so top it up and it drives fine all day, but then leave it over night and it, is the same all over again :-( I am planning on doing a coolant change but I believe there could be something else at fault causing this :-( Any advice on this would be greatful. Also to add sometime when i undo the coolant cap the coolant seems to have generated like white throfthy bubbles, no mayo in oil cap or lose of oil.

Would like to get this sorted before it gets worse.

Also to add i hav ordered a refractometer but that wont be with me for a couple of weeks. Could the wrong mixture of antifreeze cause coolant to be lost? e.g. boiling it?

·
Registered
355 Posts
sounds like a leaky head gasket if theres white bubbles usually its only a matter of time . but theres a tiny possibilty still that its just a leak in your coolant pipework or water pump , get a garage to put a pressure tester on there and you will know if your pipes are sound or not. but mayo or not withe frothy bubbles is often the start i know ive blown three heads on my cars . and the last one was only 8 months ago . should stop modding really [:D]

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Usually with Headgasket you will either get some coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.

Sometimes, if you are doing short trips on a morning and the engine hasnt had time to fully warm up then it can cause some white 'mayo' on the oil cap, but that doesnt explain where your coolant is going

Have you checked the pipework for signs of any leaks etc?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it booked in for next week in the garage to get it pressure tested, hopefully that will shed some light on the issue fingers crossed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts