Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all!

I have to top up my coolant tank every 80/100 miles. I don't know where the coolant is going, I have had 3 garages pressure test the system look over the whole car and no-one can find the leak or where on earth it is all going...

I have changed the header tank and cap to see if it cracked, and still no joy. I don't think it is the headgasket as there is no water in the oil and have just had the car serviced and all was fine. :-S

I would love to hear if anyone else had or has a simular problem and if anyone could help me out...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
250 Posts
hi mate

i have noticed mine is doing the same. only a small amout from max-min line. hopefully someone can help us :-(

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Mine did this and I could never figure out where it went. When I got my cambelt and water pump done it was the seal around the old water pump. Very small leak which I had to top up back to the max every couple of months or so. When it was all in bits, the coolant was all crystalised around the water pump, plastic cover and the plastic engine undertray. I guess thats how there was no sign of it- the heat of the engine turning it into crystals and it collecting where it could not be seen.

Hate to be the bearer of what could possibly be the reason but I hope you get it sorted.

(sorry mine is a mk4 by the way)

·
Registered
24 Posts
If your cars a diesel you can get an internal leak in the EGR cooler which means the coolant goes into the exhaust. This is hard to find as obviously when you pressurize the system nothing is visible externally.

Matt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not really, you'd need to strip it down, you may be lucky and see some pinkish crystallization inside otherwise you would need to get it pressure tested. Its been a bit of an issue on the VAG V6 diesels I havnt personally had it on a Golf but if you cannot find any other leaks externally it's where i'd be looking.

Matt

·
Registered
321 Posts
I has a coolant leak when i had mine. Sussed it out when i popped the bonnet and revved it hard it was spitting water from the coolant flange near the thermostat housing all over the back of the engine bay because the rubber seal had split. Only a £10 fix for a gen vw flange and seal [:)]

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had this mysterious leak too its very intermittant sometimes it drains quicker than other times and none of the garages have identified exactly where it is. Although i did notice on 2 seperate occassions coolant pool was left near the passanger side of bumper. Only suggestions is that the radiator maybe be faulty.

If you do find it out please let me know!!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I have had this mysterious leak too its very intermittant sometimes it drains quicker than other times and none of the garages have identified exactly where it is. Although i did notice on 2 seperate occassions coolant pool was left near the passanger side of bumper. Only suggestions is that the radiator maybe be faulty. If you do find it out please let me know!!
I found a small puddle hidden inside the valance on the passenger side. Radweld has cured mine. Have you tried this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had this mysterious leak too its very intermittant sometimes it drains quicker than other times and none of the garages have identified exactly where it is. Although i did notice on 2 seperate occassions coolant pool was left near the passanger side of bumper. Only suggestions is that the radiator maybe be faulty.
If you do find it out please let me know!!
It is quite common for the radiators to leak on the PS lower corner we have changed quite a few now.

Matt

·
Registered
433 Posts
It seems like a common fault with the MK5's.

mine was doing the same and i took it to numbers of garage and they couldn't find wheres the leak. so back in november time the coolant light came on again while driving to town, and the worse thing i couldn't get the bonnet to open. so had to call the AA boys and they towed me back to my garage and they fixed the bonnet and told me they topped it up with more anti freeze and see how it goes.

but so far the cars running fine till today i notice the coolant tank cap was a bit loose. so not to sure if the looseness was helping it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts