Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep getting the coolant beep and then engine stop lights flash at me. seems to have started happening since it got cold. happens now if temp is 7oc to below.

cure at the moment is to rev the car and turn off engine then start again and all is ok.

any thoughts please

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sender in the Coolant bottle. Replaced a few myself. Only seems to happen when cold for some reason.

The sender doesn't come seperate from the bottle either i'm afraid!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Happened to me loads over winter. I've just ignored it as it goes away
as soon as I start driving. It only happens when the car idles for 30
seconds before setting off.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Coolant bottle as said before i reckon, had the same thing happen a few weeks back and they're only ?10 or so from the dealer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine is doing exactly the same thing!! How easy is it to change the coolent bottle?
A couple of screws holding it to the body and hoses off the side and bottom. Just make sure to block off the bottom hose connection on the bottle so the antifreeze doesnt spill everywhere [;)]

·
Registered
696 Posts
This problem has been happening to me for a while now and i choose to ignore it. But been starting to annoy me now and i think il go get my self a coolant bottle now.

Cheers chaps

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'm having this in my PD130 Passat but only when I am parked with the left hand side of the car on a kerb, and then only first thing in the morning. If I move the car, stop, then start the engine, all is well. There is nothing wrong with my levels either. Coolant is between the max and min.

Whole new expansion bottle then? [:(]

·
Registered
530 Posts
My golf has started to do this a few times, especially when its cold, has not happened lately (fingers crossed lol), my coolant level is fine, if it happens again, i think i will replace the coolant bottle. enigma1992 i think if you replace the bottle it should help,

cheers

Noel

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ok iv just checked my levels and im low.. that would have been the reason why it kept bleeping today (SO I THOUGHT!). I topped upand now i seem to be getting the bleeps all the time but im thinking maybe the mix is just working its way through.

But im wondering if there was some sort of damage in that corner becuase on my accident the wing was preety much chewed up but im ruling this one out as its been ok up until the 4th day after it came out the garage. (but it has been rather cold last couple of days)

I going to make a 85 mile journey soon so i will be seeing how it goes.

But is the problem still the coolant bottle?

Veesh

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just a quick update. I didnt make my 85mile trip. [:(]

Got two miles away from home just about to get on the dual carrageway my temp needle went up i started losing power.

I stopped and checked under the bonnet and there was slight steam. I manged to drive it down the side road and call RAC. He came down in 15min and relised a few pipes were cold which shouldnt be [:S]. He jacked it up and managed to get under the car and he noticed the LOWER RADIATOR HOSE had a gash in it which was caused by the fan chipping away at it, thus leaking coolant.

I have had to take a day off work and try and get all this sorted by tommorrow so i can eventually make that 85 mile trip

Anyone know how much stealers charge for the peice?

How much of a job is it to replace?

Can i get it all done by tommorrow COB?

Thanks Chaps

Veesh

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just top up the coolent. It actually happened to me again this morning, first time since last winter! I intend to just top up the reservoir this evening and it should cure it. Not sure you really need to replace the bottle but may need to over time.

Freeglide

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mines been doing this too. It says in the book that if your coolant is not low, then it could be a problem with your fans. So I checked the fans.

Low and behold, put Auto on, no fan movement. 2 minutes later a high speed burst. @rse. thanking andymac et al in advance for the fix.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts