Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share my experiences and hopefully give others an idea of how to resolve a problem if yours is the same.

For the last year my hazard switch has been clicking intermittently until recently when it did it constantly which drove me mad!

Before you say change the Hazard switch I have done 3 times. It started clicking intermittenly so I decided to go to GSF and buy a replacement. It was ok for about a week and then the clicking returned. So I thought faulty replacement and got it swapped but again after a week it came back, so I thought it was because it wasn't a OEM replacement so I got a refund and got one from VW for a tenner more.

Then again it started clicking it tits off after a week [:O]

So I kept the VW hazard switch and did some researching and found some posts where people found there was dust or something inside the stalk causing some arching and passing current hence the clicking but no indicator flashing. In the posts people were spray WD40/or electrical cleaner down the stalk with some good results?

I wanted to have a look at the cause of this, so needed to take the stalk off. In order I did the following:

1) I decided to leave the battery connected as less hassle having to reconnect or disconnect when testing. Althought i left the ignition OFF when messing with the airbag. So I turned steering wheel so that 9 O'clock was at the top ad got a thin pozi screwdriver pushed it in the small hole at the back of the steering wheel until I hit the metal boss and twiggling around I felt the clip so I levered screwdriver tip upwards to push the clip out and up popped a bit of the airbag. I repeated for the otherside and the airbag was off.

2) Now I disconnected the airbag from the squib without any boom boom [<:eek:)]. I then got my triple square bit and undid the center bolt and took the steering off whilst doing so I disconnnect the cruise control buttons.

3) I now undid the screws holding the steering wheel cowling. Once the top and bottom was removed this exposed the stalk centerpiece. There is a an allenbolt on a clamp holding it. I pulled the unit forward and released the connectors on both sides.

4) Now the unit is off, you'll see that it connected to the windscreen wiper stalk. Press in the center tab and the two stalks split and push apart, I did this to make it easier to work on.

5) I now proceeded to open up the indicator stalk, around it are tabs if you push them up you can pull the cover but be CAREFUL as there is a small spring for the self cancel as you might lose this. Also careful of the arm because if you have CC then the arm has an electrical circuit connecting to the main you have just opened up and you could damage it.

6) The stalk works with a copper insert contacting a copper track which has a raised central section about 2mm going along the entire length of the track. This raised section had worn a groove in the insert so instead on of contacting on the center raised bit it contacted the whole track hence shorting and causing the clicking. I swapped the copper insert with another that I had obtained off another stalk.

7) I now put all back together being the reverse of previous steps upto 5.

8) Keys in ignition and stay slightly back incase airbag went off! But no all was ok [heat][<:eek:)]. Start car and no clicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went for a drive and 3 weeks on still no clicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay!!! [<:eek:)]

So if you have clicking and its driving you mad, maybe this is why.

HTH

SI

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah because the airbag will deploy with no impact or keys in the ignition? [8-|]

Anyways thought this might help others experiencing a similar situation.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
yeah because the airbag will deploy with no impact or keys in the ignition?

Anyways thought this might help others experiencing a similar situation.
It's ALMOST impossible for this to happen from an anything you can do inside the car,but it can happen.Also the airbag can deploy even if the ignition isn't turned on[:O].

Yes it will be helpful to others and is well written,but I read posts on here everyday and I get people in at work who have done various jobs on their cars,haven't disconnected the battery and have all sorts of problems that take hours and lots of pounds to fix[facepalm].ALL of which could have been avoided by taking a few seconds to disconnect the battery while they're doing the work.

Chris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts