Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Looking to buy either a TDI130 or Tdi150 3dr '02' ish, my question is, is their a significant advantage in buying the 150 over 130 as I intend to have what ever I buy remapped ??

do the 150's make much better figures remapped than the 130's ?? if so, do they have bigger turbo's etc

What does a 150 offer in spec terms over a 130, any extra kit.

Many thanks, any help appreciated.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Welcome to the forum

The 150 has the same spec as the 1.8T GTI including 16" wheels and sports suspension (although it's still not very good).

Rough figures once remapped are 170-180bhp for the 130 and 180-190bhp for the 150.
The 150 has an up-rated turbo and FMIC.

The 130 has less lag but the 150 is faster. Both great cars though.

Hope this helps
ACP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is helpful, so the 150 has uprated turbo and front mounted intercooler as standard, suprised it only manages an extra 10 bhp over the 130 then ?

It;s just that there seems to be a lot more 130's than 150's about for sale ?

I've already got alloys to go on so not worried about what rims are fitted as standard.

Does the 150 have any other 'extras' as standard ? climate, that sort of thing ?

Thanks for the welcome incidentally ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Other extras include: slightly different front seats (maybe with lumbar adjustment?), rear centre headrest and 'proper' seat belt, wood gear knob and dash inserts .... and that's all I can remember!

I think it's more than 10bhp difference once remapped, they were just figures I have seen. I'm sure someone else will be along soon to give you more detail!

·
Registered
409 Posts
130's didn't come with sports suspension or 16" alloys as standard. The seats were the same for both unless you went for the leather option.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Sorry, that was meant to be 'Incidentally !' not 'incidentally ?'
...Is that my old English grammer teacher.[:p]

I have the 130, much better car all round then the 150.

And they both wee wee over the petrol versions.

Oh , dont go believing every thing you read on here.Some people are wind up merchants.[6]

·
Registered
376 Posts
130's didn't come with sports suspension or 16" alloys as standard. The seats were the same for both unless you went for the leather option.
Just had a look at my 2002 brochure

130: front sports seats with height adjustment
150: front sports seats with height and lumbar adjustment

·
Registered
376 Posts
true-blue, you could always go for an anniversary pd150. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you sure the 150 has a different turbo than the 130? I've been told otherwise. I thought it was just the ECU that made the extra 20bhp.

Talking to REVO they say a remapped 150 isn't really a lot quicker than a remapped 130, and the 130 is a cheaper car to buy in the first place.

Sean

·
Registered
737 Posts
IMO the best car would be a 130TDI with the sports suspension(an option but rarely fitted); I tried to find one but gave up and bought a 150TDI  which I ran for just under a year. I drove a mate's 130 back-to-back and thought that in some respects his car was better. He also drove mine thinking it would be much better and couldn't tell much difference.  On a 130, the turbo boosts quicker and at lower revs(same as 115) which makes the 150 laggy in comparison. This was also demonstrated by in gear accn figs recorded by VWDriver; try accelerating from 30 in 4th or 50 in 5th and a 130 will react quicker to the throttle. Infact I found the 130(and even 115) seemed more lively from stationary upto 30mph. The main advantage to a 150 is the top end power; you can rev it to the red line with little drop off in power.  The other thing to consider is fuel economy; VW figure are almost identical but tests suggest that a 130 is 2-3mpg better. I've also noticed that 130s are a little quieter; fairly sure that this was also mentioned when the models were tested in a magazine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thanks for all the replies, mucho useful information!

I'm not really worried about fuel consumption as it'll be replacing my wife's Revo'd 1.8t beetle (plenty thirsty) so even after remapping I'm expecting much better mpg than we get from the bug!!

From all the comments, and based on the fact that a 150 appears not to be dramatically quicker than a 130 when remapped I think I'll just look for the best spec' 3 dr I can find, wheteher that be 130 or 150.

I've already got a very nice set of momo 18'' split rims to go on and will no doubt stick FK highsport coilovers on as these made a massive difference on the bug and it looked very good when lowered by 50mm.

Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
The main reason someone would choose a 150 over the 130 is for the FMIC, Handling improvements and the fact that the 150 comes in Anniversary guise I reckon

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The main reason someone would choose a 150 over the 130 is for the FMIC, Handling improvements and the fact that the 150 comes in Anniversary guise I reckon
I can't comment on modifing as thats not my thing. But here is my 2 pence.

I've driven two of each (one I bought!!!) the 130 has a much smaller turbo and it spools with a lot less lag but once this is done the top end is very breathless by comparison. The 150 on the otherhand yes has more lag but the top end is almost petrol like in comparision (think 8 valve petrol and not 8 vavle diesel). With the 150 u don't need to remember your driving a diesel it pulls hard to the red line with no tailing off.

Here is my decision criteria. If your going to drive it hard like a GTi then the extra top end power is worthwile, else if u need a nippy TDi then the 130's fine. The 150 also has over the 130 (as far as I know) oil cooler, stronger con-rods, different injector design and a Titanium turbo spindle.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I agree with sk4tec; I would also add that the choice of 130/150 could also depend on type of driving ie. If you do alot of driving in busy traffic and a lot of stop/starting I found a 130(+ even 115) more enjoyable to drive as you get the more immediate burst of acceleration when pulling away and engine is more tractable in lower gears but if you're driving is mainly out of town on fast A roads then I would go for a 150 as it is much better top end.  

1 - 20 of 24 Posts