Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 1.9 GT TDI PD 115bhp, and one of the selling points when i bought it was that it was the tax was only £110 per year because it was diesel. that somehow made sense to me at the time although i didn't investigate it or anything. I just went to buy my tax disc and was charged £175! I searched the dvla site but can't find any evidence of a special diesel class, there's only engine size. Is this a recent change or have i dreamed the whole thing up? anyone shed any light?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
hello mate, ive also got a gt tdi 115 but mine is 2001 built. Basically any car registered after 1st march 2001, the tax varies according to emissions. Anything before that depends on engine size.

hope this clears a few things,

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the clarification. so how much is your tax on the TDi 115? CO2 Emissions 146 g/km Road Tax Band C? 

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the link. i did read that before but was sure there was diesel exemption before 2001. obviously not. why should the same engine be taxed at 2 different rates just because they're sperated by 6 months? not fair! :(

·
Registered
742 Posts
This has happened to my dad he has a passat tdi 100 bhp I have a 150bhp tdi and mines considerably cheaper

·
Registered
530 Posts
don't we just love the goverment with all their stupid rules and regulations, i recently got a GT TDI and mine was registered 2 weeks before the new legislation so i have to pay the full wack! not really fair is it! we should get a petition going or something lol

Noel

·
Registered
372 Posts
Its not fair at all, surely in the case of the Golf when VW could prove that nothing has altered with regard to emissons, the new tax could be backdated.

Its also odd that the old engine size based system is cheaper. I also have a 20 year old Manta GTE which is cheaper to tax (£175) than a Y reg onward Golf 1.8T. (£195) For all that my Manta is still in excellent condition, its emissions are bound to be higher than a Golf 1.8T. Bizzarre

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right, i'm gonna write to the DVLA and appeal! Nothing ventured nothing gained.

It's worked for all my parking fines. And i can be very persistent![;)]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Right, i'm gonna write to the DVLA and appeal! Nothing ventured nothing gained.

It's worked for all my parking fines. And i can be very persistent![;)]
I know this is a really old thread, but has anyone ever contacted the DVLA to complain and got any results?

As my latest car tax came through at ?99 (6m) / ?180 (12m) for BORA TDI Sport 115 Reg'd in 2000........ seems very harsh!!!!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The whole system is a con. Anything over 185g/km is charged at the full rate of ?205...my car puts out 287g/km. The new band G still comes nowhere close at 225 g/km. Thats a crazy wide band, not that I am complaining...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The whole system is a con. Anything over 185g/km is charged at the full rate of ?205...my car puts out 328g/km. The new band G still comes nowhere close at 225 g/km. Thats a crazy wide band, not that I am complaining...
They had to draw a line somewhere, & they have done so for a second time.......

This will ultimately make people realize the folly of 'polluters' & 'fuel guzzlers'

The first owner of a ?60,000 Rover may be able to afford the suggested ?2000 car tax a year in 2011 on his car,(?500 in 2008) but when he comes to sell it in 2014, for ?25,000 to the likes of me and thou who once may have been able to afford it, they'll not get a sniff, they have to knock off a boat load again to allow 3 years of motoring for me in something like that (another ?5000 easy.....)

I'll stick with my ?110 a year :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
My 2001 polo 1.4TDI car tax is only ?35.00 a year what a result.[Y]

so i wont be selling my car at all.

bobvw
The 1.4 polo just scrapes the ?35 bracket with 119 g/kg CO2 emissions, if it has 120 g/kg it would be ?115 per year, how lucky is that

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
thats it, im sellin the golf for a polo, my 1.6 8v regd in 2000 is 180 for 12 months

anybody with a newer 1.6, ie after 2000, what it cost you to tax?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts