Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!

I own an 03 plate golf gti, purchased only 2 months ago. now that the colder weather is upon us I am amazed at the level of condensation on the front window when returning from work to collect car at train station etc - I find it hurrendous and being a diesel, takes good bit longer to heat up and demist the front screen., actual moisture bubbles run down the inside of the wondow at its worst.

Is this a generic fault/issue with the Mk4 golf? I am under the impression that perhaps my front windscreen is not set properly? how could i tell? it never leaks when i wash it for example.

All readers comments/thoughts most appreciated as it is now [email protected] me off!.

Cheers,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers bro, it is a nightmare, do you have climatronic also? I was wondering if I wasnt using it right - it i sconfusing with all the ECON and AUTO and nowt settings!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had this problem due to a damp pollen filter. Got myself a new one and no more condensation on the inside. They're cheap enough too.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Please help!

I own an 03 plate golf gti, purchased only 2 months ago. now that the colder weather is upon us I am amazed at the level of condensation on the front window when returning from work to collect car at train station etc - I find it hurrendous and being a diesel, takes good bit longer to heat up and demist the front screen., actual moisture bubbles run down the inside of the wondow at its worst.

Is this a generic fault/issue with the Mk4 golf? I am under the impression that perhaps my front windscreen is not set properly? how could i tell? it never leaks when i wash it for example.

All readers comments/thoughts most appreciated as it is now [email protected] me off!.

Cheers,
My golf used to do this all the time, Turned out my air con system needed re-gassing because it was empty... Have you had your system checked? I have found that if I put my CLIMATRONIC on ECON mode, it steams up, but if i have the CLIMATRONIC on and it doesn't do it one bit...

Aiden

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I took out the old filter it didn't seem damp to me until you compared it to the new one. It doesn't feel wet like water could be squeezed out of it. A new one was only about 20 euros (about 12-15 pounds I think). It's easy enough to change yourself so it shouldn't require a trip to the dealers. Worth a go first and see what happens. Have a search for a DIY guide on here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Aiden, i have not had my air con checked, i have climatronic and when you say climatronic is on - is this the same as the display showing AUTO or nothing - i.e as long as econ is not on, then climatronic is always on? I do find the climatronic confusing.

I will get the air con system checked out as I dont know the history of the car, it has full service history but only owning it for 2 months means i am stil finding alot out about the car.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
thanks Aiden, i have not had my air con checked, i have climatronic and when you say climatronic is on - is this the same as the display showing AUTO or nothing - i.e as long as econ is not on, then climatronic is always on? I do find the climatronic confusing.

I will get the air con system checked out as I dont know the history of the car, it has full service history but only owning it for 2 months means i am stil finding alot out about the car.

Cheers,
Sorry i didnt explain what i meant properly, if your ECON button is pressed it will just blow cold/hot air through your vents not using your AC, but if you turn your CLIMATRONIC on, it will use the AC, as long as it does not say ECON your CLIMATRONIC is on and working and using your AC.

Just another quick thing for you to check, if you turn the CLIMATRONIC off, and then turn it on, if you listen carefully you should hear a click, the noise you hear is the AC condensor coming on, if this doesnt come on your AC is not working properly. This is how i found out mine needed re-gassing, i could not figure out why my car was steaming up all the time, so i took it back to the garage and he said can you hear a click when you turn your CLIMATRONIC on, i said no, he then did a check on the system and said it needed re-gassing, i did this and its worked properly ever since!

Aiden

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Cheers,
Sorry i didnt explain what i meant properly, if your ECON button is pressed it will just blow cold/hot air through your vents not using your AC, but if you turn your CLIMATRONIC on, it will use the AC, as long as it does not say ECON your CLIMATRONIC is on and working and using your AC.

Just another quick thing for you to check, if you turn the CLIMATRONIC off, and then turn it on, if you listen carefully you should hear a click, the noise you hear is the AC condensor coming on, if this doesnt come on your AC is not working properly. This is how i found out mine needed re-gassing, i could not figure out why my car was steaming up all the time, so i took it back to the garage and he said can you hear a click when you turn your CLIMATRONIC on, i said no, he then did a check on the system and said it needed re-gassing, i did this and its worked properly ever since!

Aiden
I second this. On our (now sold) '97 Golf it go so bad that in winter ice would form on the inside of the screen!! The air con didn't cool or dry very much, I got it re-gassed and it was fine. I don't know the ins and outs but I guess the air con was giving off moisture over night. make sure they top up the compression oil too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks aiden,

i will check this tonight and listen for a clicking noise when turning AC on. I agree with the other respondent when he says ice formed on th einside of th ewindow, i actually had this last night! thankfully the car has warranty so hopefully this is covered if it needs fixing, can I ask what it cost you aiden toget the AC regassed etc?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
thanks aiden,

i will check this tonight and listen for a clicking noise when turning AC on. I agree with the other respondent when he says ice formed on th einside of th ewindow, i actually had this last night! thankfully the car has warranty so hopefully this is covered if it needs fixing, can I ask what it cost you aiden toget the AC regassed etc?
Yeah course mate, it cost me ?75 pounds for the re-gas and a service what ever that consisted of...

Get a couple of quotes first and see who is the cheapest, im sure i paid a little over the odds for mine gassing and servicing, but not entirely sure mate someone of here will be able to tell you the going rate..

Good luck in sorting it out!

Aiden [Y]

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a similar problem, but not as bad.

The problem with mine, is that the condensation always appears in certain parts of the windscreen and forms the very same shape everytime. For example, I will always get a patch of condensation towards the middle of the screen first, and it's shaped like a diamond, before it spreads to the rest of the screen. Is this a characteristic of condensation appearing on windscreens?

·
Registered
25 Posts
havin the same problem but cant afford the re-gas of the air con so its a bloody major problem the condensation is unreal! never had this before on any car ive had! [:mad:]

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mine use to be really bad until i used some window spray to clean the inside of the windscreen, it still happens now but no where near as bad!

G

·
Windowlean is bad. As is mr muscle etc.

Clean the windows with autoglym glass cleaner. The bottle stuff, not the spray type.

I found condensation was almost non existant after using that. Before i would get more ice inside than out.

Also check for damp capers or leaky rear washer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Windowlean is bad. As is mr muscle etc.

Clean the windows with autoglym glass cleaner. The bottle stuff, not the spray type.

I found condensation was almost non existant after using that. Before i would get more ice inside than out.

Also check for damp capers or leaky rear washer.
Autoglym works for me too! It wears off after awhile so you have to redo it etc...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I also have this problem... i thought it was a leek in the windscreen so i went to Auto glass & asked for some advice, he said the usual like pollen filter, aerial & maybe a leaking screen!!

Anyway id already replaced the pollen filter about 2 months ago & yes its fitted correctly [:p] and the ariel is solid so i thought it must be the screen so i thought i would get a replacement to see if that fixed the problem (payed the excess) but guess what yes i still had the problem of the condensation on the inside, on the inside ffs [:(]

So my next trip will be to get the AC looked at & hope its that, cos i havnt got the time to sit in the car & wait for it to demist in the mornings!!! Maybe i'll try the AG 1st to see if that works...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this exact same problem with my mk4 condensating all the time,
i put up with it for three years before deciding enough was enough.
Turned out to be a broken pollen filter cover and damp pollen filter.
Replaced them both from VW for about £17 and No more condensation :)

seeing as the cars always been serviced at VW dealer, thanks for
that VW! obviously some incompentant person attempted changing the
pollen filter, ended up breaking the filter cover and decided to forget
about it!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts