Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my current MKVI company car is due to go back earlier than expected in March 2014 so I've been advised to place an order for a new car asap.

Unfortunately the budget isn't what I was hoping for, so GTD and GT are out of the picture (gutted really, as would have like to go for one of those).

So, currently looking at the 2.0 TDI in SE spec and due to the limited budget I can't go mad on the options list either. So I'm only going to be able to add front fogs and also the mirror pack (got the same in the MK VI and found that very useful as car is parked on street). Shame parking sensors aren't standard as I'll miss those.

Going to mull it over during the weekend before placing an order early next week I think. We have options from Audi, BMW, Mini, Vauxhall and VW to choose from, but Golf is the only one making sense to me at the moment. I could go for a 1 series in 118d SE form, but not sure I want to to be honest as been really happy with the MKVI and the MKV I had before that.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drove an older 1 series and did like the way it drove - arrgh, looks like the budget won't even stretch to the 118d SE - it would have to be the 116d by the looks of it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, agreed. Golf it is then

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, thanks for that. Will get an order in this month. Might even stick to the 1.6TDI like I've got now as can add a shed load of options.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right then, narrowed it down to one of the two following options. One with the low emissions 1.6TDI and the second with the new 2.0TDI. Any comments/opinions gratefully received.

Option 1
1.6 TDI SE
Night Blue Metallic
17inch Singapore Alloys with Sports Suspension
Winter Pack
Mirror Pack
Front Fogs
Parking Sensors

Option 2
2.0 TDI SE
Night Blue Metallic
Mirror Pack
Parking Sensors

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, lease will be 4 years so I'm thinking having a comfortable cabin is more important than the extra umph the 2.0 litre will provide.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, I've now done a quote for a 2.0 GT in Urano Grey and that is only coming in at £1.82 a month over my limit. I think I'm going to have a word with my boss on Monday to see if they can squeeze the order through. GT is much better value than having to add the options onto the equivalent 2.0 SE.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We are allowed to trade up a grade which is what I'm already doing. Unfortunately the grade max is 450 a month whereas the GT comes in at 451.82. I'm hoping they will let me contribute the additional 1.82 on top of the contribution I'm already making to trade up, fingers crossed!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
It's a bugger being an employee isn't it ? My MD has managed to accumulate 9 points in 4 months...so I've offered to take his 10 month old a5 off his hands..."just in case"

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not sure if you are aware but the 1.6 tdi uses a beam rear axle whereas the 2.0 has independent rear suspension.

I had a gt for 5 days and absolutely loved it, my only gripe with it was the size of the boot as I thought it was a little too small for my needs

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote user="damianmkv"]

It's a bugger being an employee isn't it ? My MD has managed to accumulate 9 points in 4 months...so I've offered to take his 10 month old a5 off his hands..."just in case"

[/quote]

Well, it would be rude not to really to save his licence

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote user="nealey"]

Not sure if you are aware but the 1.6 tdi uses a beam rear axle whereas the 2.0 has independent rear suspension.

I had a gt for 5 days and absolutely loved it, my only gripe with it was the size of the boot as I thought it was a little too small for my needs

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping I can scrape through a GT. If not I'm going to go with the 2.0 but it will be in SE form. Without the metallic paint I can add the front fogs and tinted rear glass. Would definitely prefer a GT though if at all possible.

·
King Dogger
13,907 Posts
I would go for the 2.0 personally.

I'm driving a 1.2 Ecothingy Fiesta at the moment (I'm in Scotland on Business) and going from my GTI to this is painful. The Fiesta is a great chassis and fun to drive but honestly there is no replacement for displacement. Many options, cruise controls and sat nav, etc, can all be retrofitted.

I'm sure if the boss is reasonable the £1.82 a month can be absorbed or you can pay it.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts