Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think to make "Skoda Superb-lights" in mirror, as the link below show.

http://www.octavia-forum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=884&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=home&start=0

Does anybody knows, that where is the unit, which lights up interior light, when I open doors to remotelock controller, or I take ignitionkey off from ignitionlock? I hope that someone understand, what I mean.

This could be quite useful function here in dark and rainy Finland.

Do you have any ideas and thoughts, how to make and what is important to notice?

P.S. Sorry my awful english [:I]

·
Registered
27 Posts
These lights are mounted on the underside of the door mirrors (on the black, unpainted part), and are there to light of the road so that you don't step into puddles or other things lurking on the pavement. I would guess that you could just buy the part from a skoda dealer (assume that this part would be the same size etc, but maybe wrong) and adapt if to fit a Golf or Bora.

FYI this seems to be the latest craze amongst the more expensive makes, and I noticed at the Motorshow last October that VW fits these lights to the new Toureg and Phaeton (think I've spelt that right)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You could always see if Foxy could do the LED mod for them!!!! LOL!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks easy enough to me!

From the translation read on this thread, it seems that the writer is looking for a power supply to these lights which stays on for a short while after the car door has been closed.

A 555- astable timer circuit with a tranny on the output to switch the 4x LEDs would be cheapest.

The car doors have 12V, Ground and a "door-open" supply to the courtest light in the door, so all the feeds are there.

I was thinking of doing this mod myself, but just wiring it on a switch or even just looping off the illumination 12v in the door switch loom.

White LEDs would look cool on any colour car.

OR you could colour code to suit the car paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quote:

These lights are mounted on the underside of the door mirrors (on the black, unpainted part), and are there to light of the road so that you don't step into puddles or other things lurking on the pavement.
Hmm. I think use superbrightleds. How big is superbrightled luminosity?

By the way. Get led broken in cold weather? This morning here was minus 35 degrees....[:)]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
JHP - Hei ja mieluinen!

firstly, a WARM welcome to the forum!!

Sorry we missed that part earlier.

The hyper-bright white LEDs I sell are around 5000-8000mCd, and the Blue are about 3000mCd

The LEDs should work fine down to those temperatures, but I would recommend the installation be water-proofed to avoid electrolysis.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
OK, I have now designed a really simple circuit which can be used to bring some externally mounted LEDs ON for about 30 seconds after the courtesy lights have been energised and de-energised.

I also have a circuit for those 'follow me home' headlights, which work by extending the dip-beam time 'on' by about 30 seconds after you turn off the ignition.

You will see in the first mirror picture above, that the right hand side of the black plastic is broken.

EVERYONE does this when they disassemble their mirror for the first time - I did too!!

There's a technique for taking the mirror to bits, and it does not entail pulling hard on any of the plastic that seems 'stuck'.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Ye Jon there is

I watched the dealer do one but both of mine snapped when i done the electric Mirror mod

You've ether got the Knack or not (arr remember that magazine about DIY The Knack)

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Thats a nice little mod Jon, what are you using a 555 timer driving a relay for the LED's and dip-beams or have you not bothered with the relay. Jon are you going to share this simple circuit with us.

Nice one

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Hi Folks!

aRd - A 555 was my initial thought, but then i thought it would be too complex for the average DIYer.

So, I went for a simple capacitor charge/discharge via a BC548c with a mini-relay.

This way, one can be built for either side.

I'll hook up a test circuit and let you guys decide.

On the LEDs - DON'T do what the picture shows - the resistor looks too small (wattage) for four LEDs.

My circuit will show you what resistors to use, but it depends on what voltage the LEDs run from and also what quantity and colour the individual prefers.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If anyone would like to try my circuit design before me, go ahead and let us know how you get on.

Posted Image

The relay could be a micro size or reed type - contacts just need to be rated at say 100mA.

ENJOY!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
OK, here's the update for those interested in this little and very inexpensive project.....

I have got the circuit rigged up on the breadboard and it works 100%, except that I have added a capacitor across the relay and incresed the 10k resistor to 47k, to give a little extra time.

You only need one of these little devices, and when assembled onto a vero board or even a PCB, it will be really small.

The little relay is rated at up to 1A, and will easily switch 8x LEDs.

I am going to revise the schematic, do a parts list (Maplin supplied my bits for all of a couple of quid - I think the relay was dear bit at £1 odd).

I will include a fuse for both positive lines just to be safe.

You could build one of these per side of the car, but to be honest, it's gonna be cheaper to pass a single-core wire through to the opposite side door.

I am just experimenting with which LEDs will work best - I have some lovely white ones which i think will do the job well.

Posted Image

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found wire which light up interior light when I use remotecontroller or take ignition key from ignition lock. I think use this wire to light up leds. This wire is blue-red and I found it inside the "A pillar".

I buy some white bright leds (12 cd) and "led stubs", which adjust and "strengthen" (<- my dictionary is missing) light. These stubs are also weatherproof and easy to install.

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Maplin Parts list:

[costs in square brackets]

Transistor (BC548b): QB73 [9p]

Capacitor (470mfd) : VH46 [17p]

Resistors

1k : M1K [7p]

47k : M47K [7p]

Relay: (Ultra-mini 12V) : YX94 [150p]

Diodes : (1N4001) : QL73 [6p]

LEDs: As required/preferred

LED resistors: To suit LEDs

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Jon works fine m8 well done i get 45 seconds what’s the best way to increase it

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Jimmy

You could try a 1000mfd capacitor in lieu of the 470, and increase the 47k resistor to 100k.

This will get you some more time, but for minutes you will really need a redesign to get dependable delays.

HTH m8

Jon

1 - 20 of 30 Posts