Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after I finally got rid of my "Bunny Boiler" ex girlf (thanks everyone for the advice!), its back to Hotel Robson for free lodgings and food. Being back there give me approx ?400 spare a month to play around with. I miss my old GTI loads and I think I deserve a nice car after putting up with her...... so im coming back to VAG.

So the plan :

Money available ?11,500 + ?2,500K for mod's Or ?14K for one car no mods

Cars in question : -

Black Anni 1.8T ?11,999 Mods would include : - Full Miltek, Samco TIP, Carbonio, Forge DV, 4 BAR FPR and either REVO2 + SPS3 or Custom Code 2.

S3 - A decsent one will wipe out most of my money so it would just leave me enough for a REVO + DV + AIR FILTER

Cupra R - Again a decsent one will wipe out most of the cash but again I reckon Ill have enough for REVO + DV + AIR FILTER

TT - I like but think im a hairdresser.

Whats your thoughts ?

Glen

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Well done, hard to do I know, but it sounded like you'd nearly made your mind up anyway.....

My 2p - S3 or TT - why? they've got 4wd and in the real world (rain/damp roads etc) the handling/grip balance would be the best of your s election.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If yo can put up with a slighly older car, then the S3 has to be the winner.  The S3 is like a TT but with a proper bodyshell.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well done, hard to do I know, but it sounded like you'd nearly made your mind up anyway.....

My 2p - S3 or TT - why? they've got 4wd and in the real world (rain/damp roads etc) the handling/grip balance would be the best of your s election.
Cheers Richard, it was definitely hard but it was the only option. Thanks for the advice fella.

On the car; - Yeah thats wat I was pondering over, it would certainly be a lot easier to put the 270 ponnies down after the revo.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I love the S3, my only gripe with parting with that much cash for one would be the fact that they do look a little dated now and only those in the know will actually know what it is....but i suppose thats the same with the Anni.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
My thoughts are........the S3. Always loved the shape, quattro
and it's classier than the other two hatches imo. As mentioned,
get the 225 revised version if you can stretch it but the 210 is still just
as good. The TT is still a lovely bit of kit, ageing very well
but I would get the coupe for the less hairdresser effect.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the mass's are swaying towards the S3. Seraph :- I think id be looking for a W/X will around 50,000 on the clock. Though il bear it in mind buddy.

Hmmmm its really got me thinking now between an Anni and an S3. S3 has more power (265 when mapped according to REVO) Yet a half descent one on the trader on a X/Y will set me back about ?13K, that would leave me about ?1k for REVO, Air Filter, DV and poss a TIP.

On the other hand the golf will be ?11K on a 52 plate. 207 BHP revo'd and with the additional mods I guess I might be seeing 230+.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Or here: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18713

Also found on the Autotrader....

2000 AUDI S3 1.8 Turbo 4wd Quattro,
39,000 miles, . One for the enthusiasts, Px to clear Audi S3 1.8 Turbo, 4wd Quattro, Brilliant black, FSH, New Toyo T1-Rs all round, Leather Recaros, Chrome mirrors, Privacy pack, 6 spd, ESP (traction control), Keyless entry, Alarm/Immobiliser, RDS radio and 6 CD changer, All electrics, ABS, PAS, Driver and passenger airbags, Alloy wheels, trip computer, climate control, Xenon headlights, Illuminated vanity mirrors. Major service including Haldex change and full laser alignment check done at 39,000 miles. Will come with 12 months MOT and 6 Months tax. Very fast cherished car unlikely to require any maintenance in the next 12/24 months. Available from 27th September. Note: Test drives are at our discretion and may be refused if driving licence and proof of fully comprehensive insurance is not supplied. No PX considered against this vehicle. Please leave a message if your call is not answered, we will get back to you ASAP. No canvassers. ?12,495. MA.
MA

Tel: 07977 412454 or 0207 5373878
Distance: 27 miles
Price: ?12,495

·
Registered
74 Posts
225 bhp s3 best bet, i drove a 210 and 225 at main dealer last week the difference was unbelievable the 210 was rubbish not a patch on the newer version 

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
225 bhp s3 best bet, i drove a 210 and 225 at main dealer last week the difference was unbelievable the 210 was rubbish not a patch on the newer version
I don't think you can call a 210bhp 4wd S3 rubbish! Obviously the 225 is tuned a little more, but its shown in the cost too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
According to the REVO website both the 210 and 225 both have the same BHP when mapped. Is that correct ? What other differences between the two are there ?

Richard, nice one that sounds the type of thing that I'd be after.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
not sure but the 210 to 225 change may also coincide with the facelift when the headlights were changed to one piece. Also I think early 210's are non-VVT.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well I think the Anni looks best, then the LCR and finally the S3 although all are nice.

I've driven a 270 brake LCR and it was leathal putting the power down
out of a bend, needs a switch and just use the power for straight line
racing imo. I work with a lad with a remapped S3 and he loves it, must
say so do I, really really fast especially off the line cos of the 4wd,
handles v nicely and the power is useable all the time, is the most
dated of the 3 cars though imo.

Used to have a Zetec S fiesta, absolutley loved it (not chavved up
though mind u) handled far better than any mk4 golf will ever do

How about a Focus RS or is that a dirty word on here, CTR, Alpha GTA, PD 150 Anni :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
225 bhp s3 best bet, i drove a 210 and 225 at main dealer last week the difference was unbelievable the 210 was rubbish not a patch on the newer version
I don't think you can call a 210bhp 4wd S3 rubbish! Obviously the 225 is tuned a little more, but its shown in the cost too.
no youre right w36ejo, the 210 is far from rubbish.

I own one and have also driven a 225, and in my opinion, theres little in it.

Fact is, most S3 owners will have their cars chipped, and as pointed out, they map to the same power anyway(revo).

the other differences(^eddyH is right) are neglegible also, but the price differences usually isnt!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not thought about a V6 4motion? Not a turbo I know, sounds nice though!

Shameless plug for mine http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/330461/ShowPost.aspx

53 Reg with Leather, Xenons for 12k ono

AMD remap gives 230bhp which would still leave quite a bit for other mods.

Would love to keep it but just returned from hols with massive credit card bill to have some git from British Gas condemn my boiler, so need to finance a new one [:'(].

Anyway good luck with whatever you go for, from the cars mentioned I'd pick the Anni, best looking of the bunch IMO.

Cheers

Darren

·
Registered
15 Posts
As said above, you'l find it difficult to tell the difference between a 210 and a 225 model.

Go for a facelift model which has the single piece headlights, clear rear lights (these are the most obvious ways of telling) and many more other changes.

Facelift models appeared last quarter of 2000 (2001 models). You can get a 2000 X plate facelift.

Don't make the common mistake thinking that all facelifts are 225 bhp. 225 bhp models were introduced later so X and Y plate 210 facelifts are available..

You can find more info on www.audi-sport.net including buying guides etc.

There are also quite a few cars for sale too.

Have a look..

Hope this helps

Rich.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice one : Ill have a look a bit later.

Im not in any rush to buy so I can bide my time till a good one comes along. I think, where possible i'd like to have the facelift model....

On the plus side, just got my quote from Neil and the boys at greenlight. With Revo and TIP. ?900 sheets for next years policy, or just ?66 more now.

Everyone else was coming in around ?1400 with 10 month bonus accelerator.

Good Work Neil / Danny.

(The nice guy who answered the phone, plugged the forum, not knowing I was a member!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts