Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had colourMFA installed into my IMMO3 cluster (2003 Bora V6 2.8L), together with needle sweep and what installer recommended "cruise control led mod".

I now can't start the car. Engine cuts out after 1 second - see video.
Also sounds like the fuel pump is constantly priming (when key is in ON position).

VCDS reports a bunch of trouble codes, even when cleared these all return.
Before colourMFA install, I used to have a clean VCDS report and car worked fine.

Before fitting the colourMFA, car had new aftermarket head unit, driver and rear passenger side new door lock modules and driver window button module fitted.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Was this carried out on your only cluster or on a spare one?

If it were my car, I'd get a second hand cluster and code it, to verify the one that's had the mod done to it is at fault. Then you can conclude that the rest of the car is fine and nothing was disturbed as you removed/installed the cluster.

Check the plugs on the back of the cluster to make sure they're seated fully.

Providing the installer isn't going to invalidate any assurance on their work by you doing this, I'd also open up the cluster and make sure there's no shorting across and traces on the PCB. Easy to do if the installer did the soldering in a rush and didn't check for shorts afterwards.

Fuel related pins on the cluster; blue plug: pin 5 fuel level, pin 7 sender ground. Green plug: pin 10 fuel level warning, pin 32 fuel consumption signal.

Not sure this will help, as it sounds like the install needs redoing, providing the previous installer didn't destroy and traces on the PCB. Good luck though, hopefully it's easily sorted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your VCDS log indicates that you've triggered the Immobilizer. That's why it's a valid question to know whether this was your original cluster that was upgraded or a secondary cluster. If it isn't your original one, are you familiar with the process of paring a cluster with your car? You need VCDS and the PIN/SKC.

You could've also trigger the Immobilizer inadvertently and started a lockout clock that expands each time you trigger it again. I don't remember where, but somewhere in VCDS you can see how much time is left on the clock before the Immobilizer lock deactivates.

If this was your original cluster, then you should go back to the person who installed it. They could've borked your EEPROM and your car may no longer think the pairing is correct.

There's also a reset procedure that involves disconnecting and touching together your battery cables. That's probably a last ditch option. Also, look up that procedure because it may involve more than just that step. I can't remember.

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
I think people don't realise you had a new screen pt into your cluster... Long story short but the lot should be send back to whoever put the screen in... they messed up somehow otherwise the car would start... there is no other solution than you opening the clocks up and checking the soldering is done perfectly and checking for obvious damage to the PCB, but that could void the warranty. So get it back with the VCDS log you've put up. And since you can't drive they'll either tell you to send it to them or they'll come out to you to sort it out...

i know you probably thought let's flash a new file to it and recode the clocks eeprom but since you had the work done they should redo it. Unless it wasn't a company but a mate that helped you out for free, and if they didn't make a dump of the eeprom before they started soldering than basically you are screwed. As you won't be able to retrieve the skc/code for the cluster...

you could try and re-register the keys first though (how2 is on the forum) to see if the immobilizer actually turns off, so you have a car that runs again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a ColorMFA cluster. I think we're asking if it was the original cluster or a secondary cluster for the reasons you're describing. If it was a secondary cluster upgraded to the ColorMFA product, and the clusters were identical models, then it needs to be determined if the EEPROM was copied or not. Copying the EEPROM usually works perfectly fine if they're like for like. If they weren't identical models, EEPROM copying may not even work. If it was the original cluster that was upgraded to ColorMFA, doesn't it retain the original EEPROM?

In any of the above scenarios, the SKC should still be retrievable using a free tool like the kw1281test that was developed by a TDIClub forum user:

But, before performing that process or determining if the issue might be related to something else, it'd be helpful to know if it was the original cluster or an alternate.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,925 Posts
Your immo is active. Check with installer that they used YOUR original, paired EEPROM. If they've added sweep they could have used another binary without your immo data.

Use VCDS to find out if it's the key or cluster that's the issue. There's measuring blocks for that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone.
Yes, it was my original cluster.
No it wasn't done for free. Quite expensive actually, but IO reckon a lot of time goes into it.

Turned out there was a short circuit with the soldering on motor CAN pins.

Been redon and installed.

Car now turns on.
Speedometer Odometer Car Tachometer Motor vehicle

Hopefully give it a wash tomorrow and go for a spin. Been standing idle for almost a month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.