Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
When you have a definitive answer to that one, could you also tell me how long a piece of string is????

Sorry to be sarcastic, but there is no best colour, only the one that a person likes most! For me it would be solid red - but that's because I have fond memories of previous Golf GT Tdi in red and an E30 318is in red...and I don't like keeping a black car clean!

Ian

·
Registered
132 Posts
Steel Grey!

Seriously though, that's the kind of answers you will get because it's down to a matter of personal preference.

I have to say that so far, aside from my own, I have seen lots of either black or red GTI's and one graphite blue. No other colours, maybe you should be different like I was and go for one of the other colours.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Any pics of your car ?

This is the problem I have only seen red and black ones in the metal, I love the car in red but am worried I would tire of it plus it may be a bit 'in your face' for a chap my age (38) but it does hark back to the original. I have owned many black cars and love the appearance and am more than happy to put the time & effort into keeping it clean. What I do like about the red is you can tell it is a GTi from a distance (this would also be the case with steel gray I'm guessing), can you tell I'm indecisive ?!?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Spin, I'm 41 and still fancy red. Might pass on 18s though - in deference to my ageing back, got a BM on 18s now and ride is harsh to say least!

I like the red for reason you say - and because my last Golf was red and I never tired of looking at that!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Heh Spin I bought mine a few weeks ago (cancelled order - virtually exactly what I wanted). Took the tester out which was Red - very nice... Saw the 3dr GTI in Diamond Black they had in the showroom though - and that was it - red went out the window.

Yes black can be a bugger (esp when you get that filthy rain come down!) - but as someone earlier said (and in my personal opinion) - the red is so loud and in your face - the black is slightly more subtle :)

Got a good few pics of mine but can't post link here - drop me a PM if you want to see...

G'luck! :D

EDIT: And if it's just a crap shower of dirty rain, a light pressure washer rinse and quick wipe down fixes all that anyway!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pics of my car in the members ride section: http://www.uk-mkvs.net/forums/258972/ShowPost.aspx

I had mine colour coded though as I didn't like the black plastic and didn't want to stand out in the crowd too much.

It seems like we went through the same thought process in choosing colours. The one I test drove was red and I really fell in love with it but thought I would get tired of it and I wanted a more subtle, less stand out colour. I went in the week later with every intention of ordering met. black, but at the last minute the stealer happened to mention he had a steel grey one waiting to be picked up if I wanted to have a look at it. When I saw it the colour sold itself to me.

I didn't buy the car to get noticed in, that's not my style. I wanted something subtle with good performance, which is exactly what I have, even so, I still get loads of admiring glances.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had mine colour coded though as I didn't like the black plastic and didn't want to stand out in the crowd too much.

I
didn't buy the car to get noticed in, that's not my style. I
wanted something subtle with good performance, which is exactly
what I have, even so, I still get loads of admiring glances.
All these reasons were why I bought mine in Diamond Black, but I saw
two others in black within 10 minutes on the A420 today coming back to
Oxford, so perhaps black is the new silver.

and....it's a nightmare to keep clean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts