740 Posts
Andy the car looks stunning. I was planning on doing the same, but
using the Caractere valance, I think I might just use the stock GTI one
now when I get my Milltek fitted (?50 instead of ?250 for the Caractere
one!)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Go for it that looks superb, I especially like it with the area around the exhaust left black - this will pick up the detail with the front 'black' nose. Mines colour coded too, initially I was unsure about losing the black skirts but now think it looks the dogs.

CKB - Im with you regarding black cars not sure you would gain a lot apart from maybe a little easier to clean the painted parts as opposed to the plastic bits, leave the black one standard IMO.

900 miles now and loving it more each day, travelled one of my favourite roads at the weekend , woohooo what a car !! [:D]

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go for it that looks superb, I
especially like it with the area around the exhaust left black
- this will pick up the detail with the front 'black' nose. Mines
colour coded too, initially I was unsure about losing the black
skirts but now think it looks the dogs.
So I take it you just got the whole thing rear bumper and side-skirts colour-coded? How much did they charge you?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Go for it that looks superb, I especially like it with the area around the exhaust left black - this will pick up the detail with the front 'black' nose. Mines colour coded too, initially I was unsure about losing the black skirts but now think it looks the dogs.
So I take it you just got the whole thing rear bumper and side-skirts colour-coded? How much did they charge you?
The dealer I got has its own bodyshop, they wanted to charge ?300 for the job but I negotiated it as part of the deal, ?300 seems a fair price as I paid a small local body shop ?100 to have a rear spoiler sprayed on the A3 & then had to fit it myself!

With the price of the GTi as high as it is ?300 isn't a lot to have the car just how you want it [;)]

Kunid have sent you a PM regarding Miltek [;)]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where are you guys getting your coding done? - I asked VW to colour code mine (which is due next week!!!) - but they said that the black trim is not suitable to be painted as the paint will deteriorate very rapidly after a few months by discolouration, bubbling and peeling??!

Have any of you had any probs? - and where can I try to get it done when I get the car? - Also how much will it cost me?

Mkv GTI - Reflex silver/Monza 18's/Leather/Xenons and 6 CD.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't know why they would say that unless they just can't be bothered to do a proper job! They use the same paint that's used in the factory afterall. The key part though is the preparation. My dealer used some kind of plastic primer that smoothed out the stipled effect before spraying and clearcoating. Any decent VW approved body shop should be able to do this.

As you can see from the above pics there's no difference between the paintwork of the rest of the car on mine.

The only thing I would say in regards to problems is that the front part has several stone chips after 4000 miles, but then so does the rest of front. VWs paint seems to be very soft and chips easily, I'm sure lots of motorway driving doesn't help though!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
VWs paint seems to be very soft and chips easily,
I second that ! I've had mine for 3 months and it isfull of stone chips - the paintwork seems to "dent" too - not impressed. On my last car ( a 3 series ), the paint was near perfect after 4.1/2 years

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is the supplying dealers response to my request to get the side skirts and rear valance painted

" With
regards to the areas the customer has highlighted for painting - unfortunately
it is not recommended to have it painted due to the style of plastic used on the
car, as the paint does not apply to it very well, therefore creating a poor
finish resulting with it not lasting very long.

We have
had a look to see if there is a bodykit for the Golf GTI, but VW have not
released a kit for it yet with any confirmation of them doing so at
present."

I take it that they just don't want to do it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts