Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im collecting my Gti [^]on Wed 6th, as this is the first new car i have ever bought i thought i would ask for any pointers, advice or questions i should ask before handing over my hard earned money. Thanks for reading and for any advice given.

Tornado red, 5 door leather and cd changer/arm rest.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Congrats.

Look very carefully for any small dents or chips. Crouch low and look along the sides of the vehicle and all around for anything out of the ordinary. If the car is outside and it has been raining tell the dealer you will be inspecting the car as soon as it is dry as you wouldn't see anything small if wet.

Check the fit of the doors (front especially) up at the top of the window towards the rear.

Finally have a good look at the seats and the fit of all the trim inside.

Don't want to scare you as I'm sure your car will be great.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Make sure the PDI stuff is filled in inside the service book. As Ken says - you should inspect the car dry for any body problems as these will be considered of your making once the car leaves the dealer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Worthy thread to start up daz.bryan, as I'm sure there are a lot of us new to collecting new cars. Good point about the dry collection day!

Don't forget the film for your camera on day 1 [:D]

Good luck. Chalky (picking mine up end May - Steel grey, 5dr, centre armrest/CD changer)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by mojo55 on 05/04/2005 17:19:03

whats the bottle opener?

Does exactly what it says on the tin!

There should be a small metal bottle opener under the slide where the cup holders are..., IF not play hell and demand one... dealers have a habit of stealing them!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

whats the bottle opener?

There should be a small metal bottle opener under the slide where the cup holders are..., IF not play hell and demand one... dealers have a habit of stealing them!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Don't know if this applies to your car but check all the ancillary stuff is in the car like, first aid kit, wheel changing tools and the like.

As the car is new don't be to worried as if its from a main dealer you can go back time and time again (assuming its your local) to have things rectified if you discover them after leaving the dealership, if you follow a simple rule which is "once you discover something call the dealer immediately and report it"....that's where your warranty is invaluable. Plus if its something really significant you also have the right to reject the car too.

Enjoy the car and make a big deal about picking it up[;)]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. With all these things to check for i will probably be there all day[^]. Any way id better see if i can get some sleep now, as im sure i wont sleep tonight.[:D]

As from tomorrow, the proud owner of a 5 door Tornado red Gti with leather and cd changer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote: posted by cjp2k on 05/04/2005 18:30:35

whats the bottle opener?

is this the cup holders in the front

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
yes - under the slidy cover thingy next to the handbrake. The slidy cover thingy you only get with the armrest but nobody tells you !

·
Registered
45 Posts
i think that all of the other stuff you get aswell as the armrest makes it well worth the extra

this tread is v usefull as i pick mine up on sunday i have had a couple of new cars before but it is good to know what to look out for on particular cars

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote: posted by Caeclyd on 05/04/2005 19:22:37

ENJOY[:D]

But remember one thing the car will never be this clean again.....unless Irish gets his mitts on it

I enjoy making my car look new!! [:(]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts