Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I could be picking up me new car tomorrow. I'm afraid I?ll be far too excited and will forget to check something obvious :)

I?m going to check the following but am worried I?m missing something:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

• Check the spec against what I have ordered
  • Check all Paint-work checking for overspray /swirls and to make sure there is no imperfections or dents in bodywork
  • Check all wheels to make sure none have been kerbed or have scratches
  • Check for scratches in interior and marks on the leather
  • Make sure all shut lines on doors bonnet and boot are equal
  • Check Bottle Opener is there
  • Check Manual comes in leather bound case

Let me know is there is anything else I need to check.

Tks in advance

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Check if you have a bottle of long life oil.

It's a bit confusing whether or not you should get this with the car but ask for one if you don't. It should come in a black pouch which sits in a cubby in the boot.

Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I got the oil,but no pouch

Check you have the radio key card in the doc's wallet. (I didn't)

As mentioned bottle opener (I didn't)

And then enjoy the feeling (One of the best)

Have a great day.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Check the bolt caps have been inserted in the holes on the wheels, my lot were lazy and I didn't clock it for about 4 weeks!

Also, open ALL doors, and make sure the seals are solidly attached to the bodywork. MK5 seals were the bain of peoples lives - shouldn't be an issue on 2006s however you never know!

If you can be arsed, check the auto lights, they're hit and miss (often on a bit more than they should be). And lastly, as they'll be nice and clean, drop the windows right down, and then put them back up on auto (so push/pull knob the double click and don't hold it). Make sure the windows don't drop when they're about an inch from shut.

Good luck, pictures reqiured as usual whilst it's spanking clean...

You WILL be in love, and your missus WILL come second. Well for an hour anyway [;)]

C

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Make sure you advise the dealer what set-ups you want on auto locking, lights etc, unless you have a highline comp you may not be able to change these.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is the long life oil supposed to be standard from VW or from the dealer ?

Is it suppose to be strapped into the left side in the boot ?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Is the long life oil supposed to be standard from VW or from the dealer ?
Is it suppose to be strapped into the left side in the boot ?
It's bee discussed a lot but I'm not sure if we ever got to the bottom of who provides the oil. When my car was at the dealers, not fully prepped for me to collect. It, and a all the other new cars had a bottle of oil lying in the passenger side footwell. This led me believe it came with the cars. The oil packs also show up regularly on Ebay, which makes you think someone is lifting them from new cars along with bottle openers [:mad:]

The strap on the left is for a first aid kit I think. There is a wee slot on the right hand side of the boot for the oil.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I notice JD hasn't been back to this one today - do you reckon he went the long way home?? [;)] [:D]

Told him his missus would come second for a bit [:cool:]

C

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Just to clarify the oil doesn't come in the car from VW,although imo it should considering how confused people get over what is the correct oil.Some fleet companies have it in their contract to get a bottle of oil and some dealers probably give a free oil as their policy,this might explain why not everyone gets one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've never gotten a bottle of oil, but I've found (neatly packed away
in my bag o' stuff in the boot), variously, two bottles of screenwash
and one alloy wheel cleaner (which appears to have only appeared after
the last service; someone must've appreciated my 19"s and thought I
wasn't paying enough attention to them...)

JD, pleased to hear you're picking up your GTI! Eagerly awaiting pics
and thoughts... have fun but play safe on these slippery roads [y]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'm back now [:D] Thanks to all for tips on her picking up

What can I say I just love the car, its great. It?s just so hard to stop smiling. I'm even keeping the revs down till I have done 1500 km's and its still great

Bad news on the pics front - While I was picking up the car the sun was shining and the weather was great. This was a really good time to inspect the car (I had already politely warned the dealer about swirls etc) and everything was perfect. Then out of know where it started to snow [:mad:]...I was so glad to have checked over the car before the snow otherwise I would have been really paranoid about paintwork and wheels etc. The dealer said to me that I can send the car back up for a full valet if I want due to the snow when picking the car up. Not sure I want to as I would rather do it myself and I need to get some Klasse AIO and SG onto the car as soon as possible.

As you can imagine now the car is filthy after all the bad weather at the weekend - I can post some pics but would rather wait till she is fully clean. Unless people want to see a dirty grey GTi [:D]

I just need to get the cruise control fitted now as soon as possible .Its just so hard sticking to the speed limit as you always want to push on. I suppose having the DSG makes the drive more relaxing especially when you are stuck in traffic, but I find myself just speeding up for now reason at all.

Just a few questions:

Is it me or is the RCD 300 headunit rubbish or is it the speakers? I have come from an Alfa with Bose which I thought was just okay but compared to the GTi its amazing (Sound wise only [:D] )

Does anyone have problems with their rear wiper? ? mine only seems to want to work sometimes. Although I think this might have something to do with closing the rear hatch.

JD

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Is it me or is the RCD 300 headunit rubbish or is it the speakers? I have come from an Alfa with Bose which I thought was just okay but compared to the GTi its amazing (Sound wise only [:D] )

Does anyone have problems with their rear wiper? ? mine only seems to want to work sometimes. Although I think this might have something to do with closing the rear hatch.
Try turning the bass down to middle or less - it is too boomy otherwise. You are no doubt coming from a better system but I am pretty happy with the standard set up.

On the wiper, mine works fine.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Mine's fine, but you are correct in thinking that it will not work if the rear hatch is not closed properly.

I find the standard RCD300 OK, but I would guess it's pretty average really, compared with anything remotely upspec'ed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I guess your car is a 2006 model.  If it is you only get 8 speakers to the 2005 models 10.  I think that will have something to do with the sound quailty, as I find my 2005 gti to be fine.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Apart from the volume control being over sensetive,I find the 300 to be one of the best standard non upgraded systems I've come across.

Glad your enjoying your car JD

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I have made a few adjustments to Bass and Treble and its soooo much better now [:D]

It?s not a bad set-up but the only thing I don't like is with the MFSW - When you are in Audio (Radio) and press the up arrow on the MFSW it scans to the next Radio station on that frequency. I thought it changed to the next preset station on FM1 or FM2. I wish there was a way around this [*-)]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks a mill cmdrfire - that is welcome news [:)]

I was actually trying this at the weekend. Not trying launch control , but seeing if the car would set-up for LC. I found that I couldn't get above 1500 rpm before the car wanted to really pull forward ( and this was as per you instructions from another thread). I'll have a chat with Mark and see what way he is doing it and sort it (just encase I ever need to use it ). Although I won't testing it until I have the engine run in first [:)]

JD

·
Registered
907 Posts
JD, just to reiterate

• First hold esp for a few seconds and disable
  • Hold the brake and s elect the sport mode
  • Keep holding the brake and give it gas
  • Gas until revs climb
  • I guess you wont go any further for now???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts