Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided it's time to go through my 1p, 2p and 5p collection to start counting them for bagging.

Last time, I was able to borrow a coin scale from a friend that worked at a bank branch, alas she no longer works there.

I'd prefer not to use the supermarket machines as 7% is quite a cut that they take.

I counted up £80 from this lot;

Posted Image

So reckon I should have another £30-£40 in here;

Posted Image

Whats the quickest/easiest way to count this ?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Get some kitchen scales (assuming you can get hold of some) and weigh out a pounds worth of each denomination you're counting, then just chuck the coins in til the figures match, ofcourse each batch may have a slight discrepancy (1-2g) but the weight of one coin will be greater than this so providing each bag weighs within say, 5g of one another you know you have the perfect amounts :)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
COUNT IT OUT AND STOP BEING A GIRL IT WILL ONLY TAKE 10 MINUTES... I TAKE YOUVE NEVER HAD TO WORK IN A SHOP... SOME OF MY STAFF HAVE TO COUNT (damn caps again) £80- times 2 3 times a day...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most Barclays Bank branches have free coin counters for customers. It pays directly into your account.
I'm a Barclays account holder, and remember you posting this in the past, though still yet to find a branch with a machine.

Last time I was in my local branch, I asked for some money bags and no mention was made about the use of a counting machine, and I mentioned I had over £100 worth of change.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
COUNT IT OUT AND STOP BEING A GIRL IT WILL ONLY TAKE 10 MINUTES... TAKE YOUVE NEVER HAD TO WORK IN A SHOP... SOME OF MY STAFF HAVE TO COUNT (damn caps again) £8- times 2 3 times a day
lol! the use of caps is perfect in this instance

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I hate counting schrapnel!

I just launder it through the coffee machine at work and laugh as the man empties it when he comes round!

Talking of super market machines, I remember a while back walking into Sainsburys to see some bloke with a B&Q orange bucket full of pennies and 2ps, 'pouring' it into the machine whilst a group of kids watched him in amazement. Made me smile!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just launder it through the coffee machine at work and laugh as the man empties it when he comes round!
Ha!!! That must be well funny!!! "Garrr, thats the third time this month! When i catch whoever....ahhhhh" cue major break down!!!! hahahaahahahahahahaha!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
COUNT IT OUT AND STOP BEING A GIRL IT WILL ONLY TAKE 10 MINUTES... I TAKE YOUVE NEVER HAD TO WORK IN A SHOP... SOME OF MY STAFF HAVE TO COUNT (damn caps again) £80- times 2 3 times a day...
I did for 3 years, hence my loathing of doing it now.

£10 into the counting now, looks like I've got another 10 to do [:'(]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Go to a vending machine, car park or train ticket machine, shove coins in it then press the Cancel button each time the LCD readout shows £5 or £10. Scoop the rejected coins into a bucket [:D][Y]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Ha!!! That must be well funny!!! "Garrr, thats the third time this month! When i catch whoever....ahhhhh" cue major break down!!!! hahahaahahahahahahaha!
Everyone where I work does it! Its a good way to get rid of the shit in your pocket. But yes, it is amusing watching the guy 'drag' the bag of takings off [:)]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Go to a vending machine, car park or train ticket machine, shove coins in it then press the Cancel button each time the LCD readout shows £5 or £10. Scoop the rejected coins into a bucket [:D][Y]
thats not annoying for the person behind you! besides you'll have top pay apound to park there!

[:p]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
.... it is amusing watching the guy 'drag' the bag of takings off [:)]
Half a ton of change that's worth about 5 quid !

·
Registered
689 Posts
Coin Star Machine in Asda/Sainsburys... worth the comission cut to be able to just take a bucket in
Here here. £80 means about a fiver in commission. If that saves me an hour and a half counting and two trips to queue in the bank (one to collect bags, one to bank the coins) its £5 well spent!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
You wont miss the machine if your branch has one.  It is rectangular plinth with a tray on it.  Maybe they only have them in the Midlands.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts