Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm after some cheapish coilovers.

i dont want all singing all dancing ones.

at the mo i have -35mm H&R springs on standard shock and think it is time to replace them.

i like the hight of the front but would like the rear slightly lower than it is at the mo as it seems to sit up at the back slightly.

any recomendations ???

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
If it is purely the height at the rear that concerns you, as it does me !!! with my same set up.

I have just fitted some Bilstein B4's to my H&R springs and I am very impressed with the ride quality, 10x better than it was on my standard shocks, Big Boys Toys do a rear height adjuster (by FK) as you would get on the coilover kit, for sorting out the rear ride height. They come in at ?60.

So if your on a budget this would come in at a shade over ?200, complete. Might be the solution if you are happy with the front height, to be honest, how many times can you see yourself adjusting the height anyhow ? Once most people find a height they like with coilovers, that's where the car stays !!!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that seems like the perfect solution .thanks.

do you have a link to them ?

has any one tried them ??

thanks jase...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

thanks jase...
Check out the advertisers forum for Big Boys Toys, the guys name is Shaun. Post a question and he will answer very quickly.

I got my B4's from Eurocarparts and they cost ?155 inc VAT. If you want the part numbers let me know and I'll dig them out !!

·
Registered
31 Posts

thanks jase...
Check out the advertisers forum for Big Boys Toys, the guys name is Shaun. Post a question and he will answer very quickly.

I got my B4's from Eurocarparts and they cost £155 inc VAT. If you want the part numbers let me know and I'll dig them out !!
I know this is an old post - sorry for digging it up again but how is the handling effected with these rear spring height adjusters?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i spoke to bbt about these at the time and they dont actually do what we thought they would,so never got any.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
i spoke to bbt about these at the time and they dont actually do what we thought they would,so never got any.
DITTO !!! Still have a high back end !!! You need to get shorter springs, then the height adjuster.

The height adjuster actually raises the height rather than lowers the car (i.e. doesn't compress the spring as I suspected !!)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
No it wouldn't [:S] The spring is already under compression from the weight of the car so the adjuster simply raises the starting point of the spring, and if you get shorter springs then you should still leave off the adjusters unless you want to raise them (for example, they are too short)

·
Registered
890 Posts
FK highsports are probably you're cheapest option... The quality is ok but the ride will suffer if you decide to go low.
To improve handling over standard setup, are these what are needed as well as a rear ARB?

I aren't too bothered about going lower, just want to get rid of that front-to-rear weight transfer when accelerating and improve body roll when cornering.

[Y]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
No it wouldn't [:S] The spring is already under compression from the weight of the car so the adjuster simply raises the starting point of the spring, and if you get shorter springs then you should still leave off the adjusters unless you want to raise them (for example, they are too short)
Shi, That is exactly what I meant.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Shi, That is exactly what I meant. When I was looking at these, I thought they would further compress the spring, but like you said, they simply raise the seat of the spring, hence you need shorter springs. Isn't that what I said ???

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Yep, that's what you said [Y] What I meant was that shorter spring + adjuster = probably the same as a normal spring, so why not leave off the adjuster and just have shorter spring?

Or have we still crossed wires [:S]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
KW and weitec dampers often come with grooved ring adjustable spring plates on the rear shocks, so you can fine tune your ride height (10mm increments).  If interested, it maybe worth contacting a dealer (e.g BBT) to see if the ones for your car do.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yep, that's what you said [Y] What I meant was that shorter spring + adjuster = probably the same as a normal spring, so why not leave off the adjuster and just have shorter spring?

Or have we still crossed wires [:S]
Ah Ha !! Now I see what your saying [;)]. So with adjustable rear springs on a MK4, are the springs, really really short to therefore make them height adjustable ?? Sorry i'f I'm being dumb, but I've never actually seen any.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts