Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting my car lowered and I have found some suspension on ebay. Cant decide if I should go for the coilovers or the spring kit. Here are the links,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-Golf-MK4-GMAX-Full-Suspension-Lowering-Kit_W0QQitemZ160033296306QQihZ006QQcategoryZ40192QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-MK4-Coilover-lowering-springs-shock-kit-150104_W0QQitemZ290033515671QQihZ019QQcategoryZ40192QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

has anyone got these on there cars or heard anything about them?? Which is the better option?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'd personally go for the coilovers, simply because I would want to get the height perfect, so with them being adjustable thats perfect! Plus I read on here awhile ago people asking about the Jamex coilover kit that you have put the link to, and it got quite a few good words!

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a search on the forum and most people said that Gmax are really bad. The search for jamex and everyone seemed to think they were really good and saw a few pics of a golf on jamex coilovers and it had the drop which I am looking for. So I have just gone ahead and bought them!! Hopefully they should be here on Wednesday, then somehow I will have to pay for them to be fitted and then find some more money for insurance!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
weve got the jamex coilovers on our golf. this pics also showof the wheels refurbed, polished and colour coded. wot u guys think?

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
looks a beauty!!

personally i prefer the ride on springs / shocks

personal pref!

i have fitted OEM anni suspension on my and im loving it!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Grey, the golf is looking stunning! Very good example, top job [Y]

How far have you lowered her? And do you have any problems with speed bumps??

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like G-Max are a no-no then

How are the Jamex coilovers for everyday use? I have a baby and don't know if the coilovers will be too stiff for what is supposed to be a 'sensible family car' but I hate the suspension as it is!

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
My mate recently got a set of G-Max from eBay for his 1.8T.

After fitting them he said the back sat too high and the front allowed the tyres to scrape on the arch liners over bumps and also with the -40mm kit the driveshafts and antiroll bar had come into contact.

He smartly sent them back for a full refund and bought a Koni Sports kit from Awesome-GTI. Now he is well chuffed!

I also run the Koni kit and told him to go for it in the first place. Didn't listen though did he and after all the hassle and hours labour what did he end up with?

Highly recommend the Koni sports kit, a nice even drop, great ride, firm but not uncomfortable / crashy, and handles a dream. Adjustable damping too which you don't get on the coilovers for similar money. In my view you are better off spending your money on a decent spring/shock setup then paying the same for a low end coilover kit.

And G-Max, don't even bother. Save a few more £ for the Koni's and you won't regret it.

Also to note. Had a spax sports kit on another car of mine, within 3 months the fronts had leaked and needed changing. After that they seemed ok but never as nice a result as what Koni gives me now.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Koni kit sounds good, what kind of drop does the Koni kit give?

Do you have any pics of your car on the Konis Garfie??
Koni Sports kit gives a 35mm drop:

Here's mine before:
Posted Image

And after:
Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
440 Posts
2b honest i thought the ride was gonna b alot worse but its not 2 bad. the low profile tyres on 19s dont help but the respose from the steering is gr8. its about 80mm at the rear and half way on the front coilovers. id recommened coilovers all day long. golfs need more than 40 50 mm 2 sit nice. thanx guys 4 ur comments.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got the coilovers on now and I have to say I am really happy with the result!! I have lowered the front about half way but I was told to let the springs settle for a week or two and then drop it to the desired height. The back is all the way down and looks great! The pics dont do is justice it really is so low in real life.

Colour coded bump strips should be hear sometime this week, will make a big difference when I have them on.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah got the coilovers off ebay. Cost me £70 to be fitted which I thought was a really good price, everywhere else wanted £150+ to do them. When I bought the car I got a quote for putting lowered suspension on and they wanted £177 but when I rang up it had dropped to £90...only had the car about a month so thought that was really good. Considering im only 18 aswell.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thats a fantastic price for fitting. Could you tell me where you got it done and what the service was like?

Cheers

Dean

1 - 20 of 30 Posts