Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Now you have all seen my car

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/411300/ShowPost.aspx

What im asking is what would you suggest to fit regarding suspension??

I want to keep the ride quallity but want to raise/lower when req
Well, you, me and zeke spoke a bit about this at epping a coupla weeks ago didn't we. I STILL can't decide between fk konigsports or KW v2's.

There is a couple of threads from the past six months or so that gives loads of info and user experiences with coilovers, John.

Llots of people recommend the KW's (Tim has these on his golf and so does Mo). Think Tom has them too ? Zeke has the konigsports. Steve has the highsports, (height adjustable and not damping too, like the konigs).

Some people report quality issues and rusting of the non stainless fk models and thus to go for the KW's. These are (iirc), ?800 fitted at bbt. Kev has weitec's on the RS and they seem to be similar quality to the KW's.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
demon tweaks are doing a special on kw's at the moment.

thats what i have,and am very happy with them tho i think whatever setup you get,you will need to upgrade the arb as i tend to get a sort of bounce when under load on roundabouts.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Go for the KW's, they are real good quality. I had them on my V5 and would have them again, though don't think I would bother with any adjustability............You can easily make them worse if you don't understand suspension.(How many Corsa's and Nova's do you see pogoing down the road).

KW's look nice through the wheels and as such you end up filthy when cleaning the car as you will end up trying to keep them shiney.[:D]

Posted Image

Look lovely when they're new.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi

KW's are fitted to all of our race cars and they are the business!

We can do V1 height adjustable kit for ?700 fitted.

V2 height and damper adjustable for ?800 fitted,

V3 height, bump and rebound adjustable for ?1000 fitted.

If you don't need it fitted I can do you 10% off as its Xmas!

Cheers Shaun.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Hi

Cheers Shaun.
Shaun,

What would be the price of V2's (just supplied) with that 10% off then ?

Daniel

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hi

Cheers Shaun.
Shaun,

What would be the price of V2's (just supplied) with that 10% off then ?

Daniel
I would get them to fit them for you..... as the saving is not that much

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Colour? Ones a poncy yellow and pink the others a cool blue [:p]

I think they both use Koni inserts for the their shocks so its really just the springs that are different? But, I can't see there being much difference with springs anyway, as they have to be rated to vehicle weight - and thats something that will remain constant with all suspension manufacturers.

The KW's also have the inox line plating so the bodies on the front struts wont corrode. If you want similar on the FK's then you need to get the stainless bodies.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I think they both use Koni inserts for the their shocks so its really just the springs that are different? But, I can't see there being much difference with springs anyway, as they have to be rated to vehicle weight - and thats something that will remain constant with all suspension manufacturers.
Linear vs progressive rate (latter is more expensive) and also alloy treatment for longevity: shot peening and block setting (so the spring doesn't sag over time). Some springs only have a limited warranty, those subjected to the aforementioned treatments typically have a lifetime warranty. I'd expect KW and the FK to supply decent quality springs though.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Linear vs progressive rate (latter is more expensive) and also alloy treatment for longevity: shot peening and block setting (so the spring doesn't sag over time). Some springs only have a limited warranty, those subjected to the aforementioned treatments typically have a lifetime warranty. I'd expect KW and the FK to supply decent quality springs though.
I was comparing both kits for the same car - in terms of ride quality. They both do the same job so can't cary that much?

I'd say the KW's would have a better reputation with anti corrosion compared to FK's. The protective paint on the FK springs I had on my R32 started to chip away after a month of use...

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I was comparing both kits for the same car - in terms of ride quality. They both do the same job so can't cary that much?

I'd say the KW's would have a better reputation with anti corrosion compared to FK's. The protective paint on the FK springs I had on my R32 started to chip away after a month of use...
I know they both use Koni dampers, not sure if they are exactly the same part with same damping characteristics though, they may have been manufactured to particular specifications for each company. As for springs, true progressive will give better ride and handling than cheaper linear rate springs as they are soft-ish at full extension and get stiffer as you load them up, rather than having the same resistance throughout the range. So, the resistance curve also affects how it feels in use. You might have a progressive spring that has twice the spring rate at 50% compression and another that doesn't become so until 70+%, for example. Second that on KW's reputation.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts

I know they both use Koni dampers, not sure if they are exactly the same part with same damping characteristics though, they may have been manufactured to particular specifications for each company. As for springs, true progressive will give better ride and handling than cheaper linear rate springs as they are soft-ish at full extension and get stiffer as you load them up, rather than having the same resistance throughout the range. So, the resistance curve also affects how it feels in use. You might have a progressive spring that has twice the spring rate at 50% compression and another that doesn't become so until 70+%, for example. Second that on KW's reputation.
...and thats why you only need the V1's[8-|][;)]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I've finally made up my mind as well! Decided on V3's, should be having them fitted some time early next year at BBT.
woooo! hark at you mark.. splashin' the cash with the rebound adjustables too ! [;)]

Let me know when ya havin' em done and I might pop up. Sure the swmbo will wanna pop into ikea too, so might take the time and get mine done too. sick of thinkin about it now ! Almost decided on the v2's.... I think ! [:|]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Ok so what is the difference between FK's and KW's is there any?
Did you see the video kw were showing at inters john ? of their salt spray test ? showed their competitors shocks rusted after 400 hours of spraying with salt water or something. Very good advert for their stuff, but it is just that, advertising. I'd like to see an independent test of coilovers. In the huge thread earlier this year for coilovers, there definitely seemed to be a greater thumbs up for the kw's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts