Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else buy this? So far I have found the Tesco Value range to be ok. Get what you pay for kind of thing.

But today, my god. When I first moved in bought some Tesco Value Coffee Granules. 30p I think, my bargain radar was well and truly singing. Anyway, tried it just now as got in from work early. YACK!

Which leads me on to something else. Going shopping tonight and always loved my coffee.

What are these Nescafe Alta Rica's about? Been on the Tesco's sites, theres the following:

- Alta Rica
- Kenjara
- Partners
- Black Gold
- Blend 37
- Cap Columbie

Or any other coffee I should try? Tend to stick to Nescafe as I like it.

Anyone tried any of those, if so, do they really taste any different? Also, is there any other Tesco Value stuff I should stick well clear from!? I buy loads of the Value juices in the 1 lite cartons. Talking about 5 a week. They don't taste any different from any other orange or apple juice and best of all, no bits!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Tea Coffe and meat are the three things that can nevere be skimped on....

Tea, it has to be twinings, especially the everyday teabags

Coffee NOTHING that isnt branded or strong, nescafe is just about bearable, most of the otheres are just coffe type drinks, a good quality espresso is what floats my boat, home stuff the strong kenso is the best common one you will find.

Meat, anything cheap is usually processed which means its full of the bits like fat skin and other youcky stuff

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I have a friend who works for a supplier of the big T & he tells me that some lines in their "Finest" range are just repackaged regular lines, at a premium price [:O]

If I want nice supermarket food, I'll go to M&S

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a friend who works for a supplier of the big T & he tells me that some lines in their "Finest" range are just repackaged regular lines, at a premium price [:O]

If I want nice supermarket food, I'll go to M&S
Yer, same with ready meals. Its pretty much all the same.

However, this tesco value coffee was not repackaged Tesco Gold, often have that. Seriously, it was a horrible, watery, faint charcoal taste. I like my coffee to be a bit thicker and smooth. This was like drinking hot charcoal water!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like the alta rica stuff, it's quite strong and tasty. I tend to flit between alta rica, asda italian roast and the fair trade stuff with a number in it's name, forget what it is.

I find that the more you pay the more flavour you get, and you can tell the difference. Asda used to sell Rocket Fuel coffee which is my absolute favourite, really high caffine and that guarana stuff to boot. Sadly it's discontinued, but the ground coffee, Hot Java Lava is even better, if I can be bothered to make it.

I got some fantastic ground coffees a couple of years ago at GTI international of all places. [:S]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I can understand "Value" stuff that is manufactured (jeez they were doing Value hair dryers at one time for £3.99 each, was gonna buy some to help dry my car's nooks and crannies after washing) but how do you make "Value" chicken and stuff?! [:S]

Graham you must be kidding about fruit juice?! If there's one thing I've noticed about food as I've grown up is that the over processed stuff I used to think was nice when I was a kid I can't stand now, and the more "real" stuff I used to think was yuk I can really appreciate now. I eat plenty of fresh fruit these days and I really dislike any form of packaged fruit juice that is made from concentrate, even more so the long life stuff, it's just wrong, and to think when my parents used to take me to Pizza Hut 20 odd years ago and treated me to what, at the time was an expensive 60p glass of "orange juice" I thought it was great [:S]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Instant coffee, I like Douwe Egberts Continental Gold, great taste. yum.

As for other lines, as a snack, tesco value noodles are ok, they are only 8p (super noodles kind of thing) [:D]

Another thing, I actuall prefer tescos own weetabix, over the proper stuff.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the alta rica stuff, it's quite strong and tasty. I tend to flit between alta rica, asda italian roast and the fair trade stuff with a number in it's name, forget what it is.

I find that the more you pay the more flavour you get, and you can tell the difference. Asda used to sell Rocket Fuel coffee which is my absolute favourite, really high caffine and that guarana stuff to boot. Sadly it's discontinued, but the ground coffee, Hot Java Lava is even better, if I can be bothered to make it.

I got some fantastic ground coffees a couple of years ago at GTI international of all places. [:S]
Tesco's sell rocket fuel. Must get some by the sounds of things! It in a red jar? It's on their website anyway.

Shuim...I find the value fruit juice real nice. I know its concentrate, but it's no different at all to the tesco 'labelled' stuff until you start hitting the quid mark for 750ml which has yucky bits in.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

Tesco's sell rocket fuel. Must get some by the sounds of things! It in a red jar? It's on their website anyway.

Shuim...I find the value fruit juice real nice. I know its concentrate, but it's no different at all to the tesco 'labelled' stuff until you start hitting the quid mark for 750ml which has yucky bits in.
It's good stuff

Posted Image

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, shiuming (whats your real name?!)....I realise you are the king of food stuffs around here....but do NOT diss super noodles!! Especially Barbacue beef on toast! Oh yummmmmy!

Ok, so tonight, when I go shopping, as I've tried Alta Rica, cant remember it being any different, tonight I shall buy some rocket fuel (good for the mornings!) and some kenjara, or whatever is cheapest. Always go shopping late as it means I don't have to play bumper trolleys and there are less kids sliding round the floor!

Must get myself a coffee machine too, just dont like cleaning up after them.

I also like starbucks. But some of their coffee's have twice the calories of a big mac! [:O]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, shiuming (whats your real name?!)....
[:|]

I realise you are the king of food stuffs around here....but do NOT diss super noodles!!
PMSL. Dude, PM me your address and I'll post ya a box of Japan and Hong Kong's finest [:D][Y]
Ok, so Shiuming is your real name [:$] Sorry dude!

You for real on the noodles?! Free food! Can I make a paypal donation!?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Nope, just buy me a beer or kebab next time you're in London, and promise to take a photo of the box contents when you receive it. LOL.

·
Registered
120 Posts

It's good stuff

Posted Image
Ok, I'm jealous... no tesco for 15miles. Will have to see if morrisons have it.

BTW Shiuming 'value' chicken is the least humanely raised chicken you can buy, not good. [:(]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My nearest Tesco's is 12 miles, but straight down a pretty quiet dual carriageway, so takes me about 12 mins.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Which leads me on to something else. Going shopping tonight and always loved my coffee.
How can you claim to love coffee and then buy 'ok' Tesco Value stuff?

Wouldn't buy anything but fair trade personally

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Because I had non and had a tenner in tesco's and that fitted the bill! Was buying cleaning stuff at the time.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

fair trade is not what its cracked to be and there is evidence its being massively abused

1 - 20 of 26 Posts