Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The missus drove us home from the inlaws the other day, and when pulling out from a junction she slipped the clutch at about 5000rpm for about 5 seconds. (she's not used to the light clutch in my car)

My car is a 1.8t with 62k on the clock and a REVO remap.

Now, everytime i put foot down the car doesnt wheelspin (even on the greasiest roads!). And it sounds as if my clutch is slipping when my remap makes most of its torque. Im not too sure whether its the remap or my missus who has caused the clutch to start slipping.

Where should the biting point usually be on a clutch??? Ive noticed the biting point has moved quite a way up when i release my clutch pedal ?

Would this damp weather cause it??

How many people out there have suffered clutch slip after a remap???

Ta

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Hey Mate,

My clutch is slips on my car at the moment as well, after being remapped.
I havent replaced it yet, but need to soon really. I think it is due to the amount of torque your car produces, and the factory clutch not being able to handle it.

Paul

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
my 110 gt tdi suffered from major slippage after being upped to 180 odd bhp and 310ft lbs tq

the vr6 clutch and g60 flywheel combo is a great replacement and is able to cope with some serious power and torque!

PM me if your interested as i am able to get these from VW at an unbelieveable price!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I recently changed my clutch due to clutch slip. The original had done just over 100k with nearly 30k of that re-mapped. I had the clutch from R44MS_K fitted, much better and I know it will cope with the power no problem at all.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
28K here, 25K remapped miles with no clutch slip at all.

Despite producing peak torque between 275-280lb-ft it just grips and pulls everytime.
That's even after doing a series of 0-60 runs in second gear only (why did I try that?) around 15K miles ago.
Clutch smell was awful for around a month after, everytime I left the car you could smell it!!

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
I recently changed my clutch due to clutch slip. The original had done just over 100k with nearly 30k of that re-mapped. I had the clutch from R44MS_K fitted, much better and I know it will cope with the power no problem at all.
Hey mate,
Where did you get your clutch fitted?
I could do with getting a new one, but have noone to fit it for me

Paul

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my 110 gt tdi suffered from major slippage after being upped to 180 odd bhp and 310ft lbs tq

the vr6 clutch and g60 flywheel combo is a great replacement and is able to cope with some serious power and torque!

PM me if your interested as i am able to get these from VW at an unbelieveable price!
is the vr6/g60 combo any good?

I did a search and there were comments that the vr6/g60 setup was a bit on or off when using the clutch......

Im wanting a clutch that is as close to oem feel as possible.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
golfturboblue's clutch is slipping after his tuner sorted out a problem with his ecu. Was more responsive after but probably thats what has balls the clutch up.

I cant really vote on this cause my AUM has only been remapped for a couple months or something but then its beeen chipped uk'd not revo'd. When i had the revo it seems more torquey but to be honest i didnt find that as a good thing. Was so worried about what it was doing to the clutch.

Carl

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey guys,

Yep what Carl said is true my ecu has been set right now with all running well till my cluth started to slip bad around 2 weeks ago and is gradually getting worse it still on really slips under heavy load e.g. high revs in high gears!

Having a new clutch fitted tomorrow, its a standard cluth as my tuner said they are usually good for up to 240-250bhp. To be honest though my clutch was on its way out for a while because the bite has been really high for a while and its shudders slightly when pulling away so the new high torque has finished her off!

Hope this helps anyone with similar probs.

Joe

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hey mate,
Where did you get your clutch fitted?
I could do with getting a new one, but have noone to fit it for me

Paul
I got mine fitted by Mikeanics in Congleton. Think it cost about ?140 to fit.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Another clutch slip thread [:(] <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

As mentioned the G60 flywheel and uprated clutch kit is a good one to go for [:)] <o:p></o:p>

I would also recommend going for a Spec clutch kit, we use these in all our high and low powered cars and they offer a fantastic standard feel! Plus they have a very good torque rating so if you need more power at a later date then you don't need to worry about the clutch! <o:p></o:p>

Regards <o:p></o:p>

Mike <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I had mine mapped nearly 2.5 years ago, was on 72k then, now 105k and the clutch is still going strong. The clutch was done at 62k. Only has it ever once slipped and that was when I tried to do a hill start while already rolling back (it was a very steep hill).

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I had mine mapped nearly 2.5 years ago, was on 72k then, now 105k and the clutch is still going strong. The clutch was done at 62k. Only has it ever once slipped and that was when I tried to do a hill start while already rolling back (it was a very steep hill).
And like myself, you don't drive like a fairy!!
Clutch slip after remaps is just highlighting that the clutch was near to replacing anyway, the remap just accelerated that fact.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine started to slip less than 2k after a custom-code remap! I fitted an uprated Sachs clutch myself, when we removed the original clutch kit it was not worn at all, I guess the cover plate could just not hold the extra torque (diesel), since the Sachs kit was fitted, no problems at all and pedal feel is just as OEM as it was on the original clutch kit.

Fitting was really easy as well, you dont even need to drain the oil from the gearbox! took me and my mate about four hours from start to finish.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I have been lucky with mine, had it mapped over 2 years now and car has done nearly 60k and clutch is still the original one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my clutch started slipping not long after remap,500 miles or so, golf as done 54000 miles not sure about previous owner though, had a sachs organic clutch fitted 2 weeks ago no probs at all now 

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I have been lucky with mine, had it mapped over 2 years now and car has done nearly 60k and clutch is still the original one.
Get saving [;)]
Lol - being a mechanic I do realise its on borrowed time [:D] I think as long as Im not silly and dont do "hot starts" at every set of lights I come accross it should last a while longer yet [:)]

·
Registered
105 Posts
There seems to be a few themes runing in this thread, so please correcet me if I'm wrong.
-? ?If your clutch slips and needs replacing after a remap, it was already on the way out,-? ?It seems mainly diesels suffer, due to the increased torque,-? ?There is mention that the cover plate can be victim, not neccessarily the clutch, needing replacement post a remap.
I have 110 TDI, and most websites seem to be able to get it up to c.150bhp. Im on 64,000 miles, and am reasonable confident it was driven quite well before i bought it at 48,000 last year.
Would my car be fitted with a similar clutch to the GT TDI 150, and thus be able to handle it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts