Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Further to the plea for help regarding my little clutch problem, I've fixed it and here is

the how-to.

Note:- This How-to would be of benefit if you ever need to remove your clutch master

cylinder, as during my forum(s) search I noticed that a master cylinder failure is quite

common. Apart from the hydraulic side of the operation, most of the work is in the drivers

footwell and would be as follows. The master cylinder retaining nuts look like they are

accessed from the footwell side.

Anyway, my problem was that I was driving home, Wifey & Kids in the car.... went to change

gear, pushed the clutch pedal in and "BANG".... No clutch.

Posted Image

The above piccy shows what went bang (I used this piccy in my initial cry for help so please ignor the bit that asks if there's another clip).

Posted Image

The above piccy shows the broken pedal insitu prior to me removing it. Note:- The white clip

I refer to was never found..... it probably went boing and could be currently anywhere in the

footwell area... no doubt resting somewhere where it'll either rattle or cause some other

horrid problem.

To remove pedal (assumes you know a bit about 'cars' and how they work etc..... even so, this

IS NOT A NICE JOB.... A real fiddle):-

1, Remove lower trim from footwell area.

2, Release over centre spring. I used a long screwdriver and pushed on the white nylon end

piece until the spring popped out. There are some handy little recesses on the white bit that

will prevent your screwdriver slipping off.

3, Undo and remove the pivot nut and then wriggle out the bolt. (note I say wriggle as it

hits the steering column on it's way out.... it's fiddly but it does come out. Further Note

:- I fitted the bolt from the other side to avoid this problem on re-assembly).

4, If your master cylinder pushrod is still in position, you will now have to release it. The

ball is held in place by a white nylon holder..... press in the tags to release it. (see

piccy)

Posted Image

Above piccy shows my 'repaired' pedal and the location of the 'tags' that you need to press

in to release the master cylinder pushrod.

Posted Image

The above piccy shows how things are laid out in the car.

Refitting........

5, Fit new pushrod ball carrier to pushrod (65p from VW !!) I fiddled and swore for a while

but eventually managed to fit it with needle-nosed pliers. It will 'click' in place and will

NOT come off again if you've done it right.

6, Struggle to put pedal back in car.....Engauge pushrod / carrier into box section on pedal

first before you put the pivot bolt back in (remember bolt from the other side....)

7, .......Now the tricky part, the over centre spring. Can't explain it to well in text but

look at the piccies below. Where it fits you'll know from when you took it out. This is the

toughest part of the whole procedure, it took me ages. (If you do use the cable tie method,

remember to cut them to release the spring AND BE CAREFUL !

Posted Image

Posted Image

JOB DONE !!!

I got.....

Frustrated

'Sore' fingers

Carpet burns on my elbows...... Ooo-err (you'll understand if you have to do this)

Hope this helps if you ever need it.

Good luck

·
Registered
476 Posts
Help ..... help ..... same has happend to our motor ....

Pics what happend to them above ?

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,030 Posts
Further to the plea for help regarding my little clutch problem, I've fixed it and here is

the how-to.

Note:- This How-to would be of benefit if you ever need to remove your clutch master

cylinder, as during my forum(s) search I noticed that a master cylinder failure is quite

common. Apart from the hydraulic side of the operation, most of the work is in the drivers

footwell and would be as follows. The master cylinder retaining nuts look like they are

accessed from the footwell side.

Anyway, my problem was that I was driving home, Wifey & Kids in the car.... went to change

gear, pushed the clutch pedal in and "BANG".... No clutch.

Posted Image

The above piccy shows what went bang (I used this piccy in my initial cry for help so please ignor the bit that asks if there's another clip).

Posted Image

The above piccy shows the broken pedal insitu prior to me removing it. Note:- The white clip

I refer to was never found..... it probably went boing and could be currently anywhere in the

footwell area... no doubt resting somewhere where it'll either rattle or cause some other

horrid problem.

To remove pedal (assumes you know a bit about 'cars' and how they work etc..... even so, this

IS NOT A NICE JOB.... A real fiddle):-

1, Remove lower trim from footwell area.

2, Release over centre spring. I used a long screwdriver and pushed on the white nylon end

piece until the spring popped out. There are some handy little recesses on the white bit that

will prevent your screwdriver slipping off.

3, Undo and remove the pivot nut and then wriggle out the bolt. (note I say wriggle as it

hits the steering column on it's way out.... it's fiddly but it does come out. Further Note

:- I fitted the bolt from the other side to avoid this problem on re-assembly).

4, If your master cylinder pushrod is still in position, you will now have to release it. The

ball is held in place by a white nylon holder..... press in the tags to release it. (see

piccy)

Posted Image

Above piccy shows my 'repaired' pedal and the location of the 'tags' that you need to press

in to release the master cylinder pushrod.

Posted Image

The above piccy shows how things are laid out in the car.

Refitting........

5, Fit new pushrod ball carrier to pushrod (65p from VW !!) I fiddled and swore for a while

but eventually managed to fit it with needle-nosed pliers. It will 'click' in place and will

NOT come off again if you've done it right.

6, Struggle to put pedal back in car.....Engauge pushrod / carrier into box section on pedal

first before you put the pivot bolt back in (remember bolt from the other side....)

7, .......Now the tricky part, the over centre spring. Can't explain it to well in text but

look at the piccies below. Where it fits you'll know from when you took it out. This is the

toughest part of the whole procedure, it took me ages. (If you do use the cable tie method,

remember to cut them to release the spring AND BE CAREFUL !

Posted Image

Posted Image

JOB DONE !!!

I got.....

Frustrated
'Sore' fingers
Carpet burns on my elbows...... Ooo-err (you'll understand if you have to do this)

Hope this helps if you ever need it.
Good luck
I've edited Colin's original post in this quote with what I hope are the correct photo's from his gallery. Colin has sold his golf so doesn't frequent here as much as he used to so I hope this helps you out [Y]

Neil

·
Registered
46 Posts
cheers fella those help a great deal, atleast i know where the bits go now, i think its only the black clip that has broken on mine, as there was no sign of any metal plate that had come off!! going to vw later to see if they stock the parts then gonna have a go at fitting them myself [:S]

·
Registered
46 Posts
cheers dude got the parts i needed, had a go at fitting them meself, got the old pedal off after alot of swearing and wiggling off that faaaaaaarking bolt, started putting it back together, putting the pedal back into place the pushrod only went n snapped. new master cylinder on order!!!! dont ya just hate cars somtimes [:mad:]

cheers for the advice tho, love this site for the pics n help!

·
Registered
476 Posts
My clutch pedal broke last month. Was REALLY pi$$ed off thinking it was going to cost a fortune til I read this how-to the same night. Got the parts the next morning & job done - including free carpet burns on my elbows!! [Y]

Only thing now is that the pedal feels loose (side to side wobble) altho it's all gone back together properly & the bolt's been torqued to the correct setting.

Anyone else found this??

Cheers again for the info, fellas!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi , i am just about to go and get a new pedal now ( Spare ) should i also get the plastic clips ? What parts do i need as a back up , Just in case ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I got:

clutch pedal - 1J2721319C (?17.41 +VAT)
stop - 1J2721332A (?1.54 +VAT)
mounting - 1H0721357 (56p +VAT)

That was pretty much everything to swap the pedal out after it failed. Total cost was just short of ?23.00

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks Rob ,

I Got the clips too , is this pedal different to the ones in the previous pics (above) ?

The end of the box section looks fairly strong to me , it is all in one piece , bent over and welded. Not just tacked on the end.

Do you think this is an upgrade , or are they all like this ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sorry for the delay, Kev.

I bought exactly what you've got in the pic. The box on the new pedal is slightly different. On my old one the end of the box was a separate piece of metal tacked on. New style seems a lot sturdier.

ct.p did a "how-to" for fitting it on here. Top post, loads of pictures & really easy to follow. He's right about watching-out for the carpet burns on the elbows, tho!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
OK Rob , trouble is i am not sure which one i have got fitted at the mo , i could be OK or it could be just a matter of time , i just got one as spare , just in case ! Cheers ...Kev.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Depends on the year of your car, but I'd hazard a guess it's the older type.

Where abouts in St Helens are you? Probably seen you but not realised.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine did the same.Youll unfortunatly av to take it apart again cos theres to little spacers that sitS on the inside of the cylinder shape bit where you put the bolt thru.There about 20p each from VW.

·
Registered
868 Posts
So how does the black plastic clip reattch i can't work it out lol

Any got a pic of it all fitted in the car as it should be??

·
Registered
476 Posts
Number 8 in the dia gram on the page pal.That stop the peddle from moving side to side.
Don't remember the old pedal having them on? Stripped i right down, too, to make sure I hadn't left anything off.

Thanks for the head's-up tho. At least I know how to get it sorted. Now if I can only find the cause of the lake in the rear, passenger footwell....

1 - 20 of 285 Posts