Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've noticed a slight noise while I press the clutch down to engage it, kind of hard to describe the noise possibly grinding/whirring. It only happens while I am pressing down on the clutch, once the pedal is all the way down the noise completely disappears and there isn't any issues with changing gears or anything. Any ideas what this could be please?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
clutch slave cylinder on it's way out, or the pedal is on it's way out, both fixes are in the howto topic for the mk4's ( tip: use the index in that section to find them quickly)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clutch slave cylinder on it's way out, or the pedal is on it's way out, both fixes are in the howto topic for the mk4's ( tip: use the index in that section to find them quickly)
OK I've tried taking a video to see if i can capture the sound not sure if you can hear it or not in the video below?

The noise definitely happens when you are pressing the clutch down once it's reaches the bottom of it's travel then it disappears. I've been doing a bit of reading and some people say it could be the throw out bearing?

If this is the culprit what causes it to wear out is it just wear and tear? I was also thinking do people typically replace just the throw out bearing or do they replace the entire clutch? If the transmission is to removed i would prefer if everything gets fixed in one go.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
Right just by listening to that the noise is coming from the gearbox and they are right... throwout bearing is causing it... but do yourself a favour and if you are going to fix it replace the lot so you don't have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right just by listening to that the noise is coming from the gearbox and they are right... throwout bearing is causing it... but do yourself a favour and if you are going to fix it replace the lot so you don't have to worry about it again.
OK i hope it is that just found this on eurocarparts so am gonna get one:

I really hope it is the release bearing and not something more serious but i guess you won't really know until you take it off and have a look.

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
that is the release bearing yes... but with me saying replace the whole lot i was on about the complete clutch pressure group including the bearing... it's just one of these things if you have to pull the gearbox you might aswell change the lot so you don't have to do it again... mind you doing that is a lot more expensive and takes a lot longer....

but you could just replace the bearing providing the rest is fine, but you'll only know once you pull the gearbox off and inspect the lot.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is the release bearing yes... but with me saying replace the whole lot i was on about the complete clutch pressure group including the bearing... it's just one of these things if you have to pull the gearbox you might aswell change the lot so you don't have to do it again... mind you doing that is a lot more expensive and takes a lot longer....

but you could just replace the bearing providing the rest is fine, but you'll only know once you pull the gearbox off and inspect the lot.
That's exactly what i was thinking you would be better off in the long run if you just changed everything at least you know it's been done and will hopefully last a long time. As you say you won't know the overall condition of the clutch until the gearbox comes out. Am on eurocarparts now and they've got a Sachs clutch kit for around £160 which am assuming isn't that bad but it's the labour that's gonna be expensive. The cars driving ok for now so am just gonna carry on driving it. I suppose it's one of these things that happens with age as mines 2002 with almost 170000 on the clock.

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
dude if the bearing starts going it's best to sort it out... because when you leave it you'll be looking at more than just that...and when that happens.. well erhmmmm with the cars being this age and still cheap, if you don't diy it, you are better off buying another one.

but that is the logic in my mind, plus i know how to do it and have the tools for it. \if you don't and have to pay to have it done... yeah just get another mk4 they are still cheap and you might end-up with an easy to tune engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts