Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi If any one could help it would be very much appreciated.

I've just finished spending £450 on a new alternator, battery, etc. But as soon as I fix one problem, another one arises [:(] and I'm starting to get sick of it.

It was running sweetly yesterday and as I was driving to a friends house, the clutch started to become very stiff and springy, and would struggle to go into gear. My friends house was only literally 100 yards down the road, so I decided to carry on driving, only to find it wouldn't go into gear at all.

So I switched the car off, put it into 1st gear and started it up. It jerked forward as soon as I started it up and cut out, as though I hadn't pushed the clutch down (but it was down) so at this time, it was like I didn't even have a clutch!

So I gave it a little acceleration with the handbrake up and slowly released the hand brake and it started to move forward like it was at biting forward, and I did this all the way to my friends house and left it in his drive over night.

Now…. I had the previously had the gearbox replaced for a re-conditioned one in the past and the warrantee has run out now, and this is embarrassing, but I had the clutch replaced in the past by none other than 'Mr Clutch', I know I should have, but I was in a rush at that time and had to get it replaced ASAP.

So I have been running the clutch for 7 months now, and I was meant to take it in for 'regular interval checks, at certain mileage points', but had completely forgotten about this as I've been working two jobs and at the same time going to University.

So I just about drove it into Mr Clutch today where I had the clutch done from before, and they are trying to tell me that the warranty may be void because I didn't have the regular interval checks, I argued my case however, and they told me that it could me my fault due to wear and tear, but I don't see how I could go through a clutch with my 1.4 golf in 7 months of it being fitted.

They are telling me that they are going to charge me £243 just to take out the gearbox and re-fit it to see what the problem is and if the clutch is worn then I would also be charged for that if I want it replaced.

But I have spoken to a mechanic and he has assured me that he is 90% sure it is the clutch, and that Mr Clutch are known for their 'second-hand clutches' where they use cheap parts. Is this true?

He told me to go down to Mr Clutch tomorrow, and watch them as they take the gearbox and clutch out and ask to look at it when it is take out and to look at the springs on the clutch plate and the fingers on the inside of the pressure plate as these are the parts that usually break easily due to cheap parts.

Is this correct, can anyone suggest any other things I should look for, as I don't have a clue about clutches, etc. I feel as if I'm being take for a ride and they are just trying to squeeze as much money out of me, money which I don't have.

Could any one shed any light on it, whether they think it is almost certainly a clutch-related problem? Because Mr Clutch are trying to tell me that it could be a bearing on the inside of the gearbox.

Please guys, any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12,000 miles or 2 years, which ever comes first mate, I've only done 6,000 since

He said the reason for the regular interval checks was that so they could adjust the clutch, but my mechanic said , that the clutch hardly even needs to be adjusted..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been back the guy at reception says that if you've worn out the clutch too much then our warranty won't cover it, which is fair enough, but I don't think any one can wear a clutch out in such a short time.

He says that if the clutch is broken due to manufacturer fault, then all costs will be covered, incl taking out and re-fitting the gearbox, and replacing it with a new clutch.

But he could quite easily just tell me over the phone that so and so is wrong, without me even knowing for sure. How do I know if it is a manufacturer fault, what do I have to look for? They can't tell me that the warranty can't cover it right?

And does it sound anything like a gearbox problem, he said something like a bearing in the inside of the gearbox which might have collapsed?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
demand to be there when they remove it . It is your property and you have the right to inspect it . These places fob people off by showing then any old clutch they have etc

I would not even trust them to make a cup of tee. Mt Clutch staff are useless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts