Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into the car and before I started it up I thought I should check the oil level this morning for no real reason and good thing too! When I pulled out the oil dipstick I noticed in the dipstick tube a bit of the orange plastic that can came off from handle bit of the dipstick where it fits inside the tube. Quite a sizeable lump about 5mm, it fit snug like a glove from where I presume it came off the dipstick. My motor would not be a happy bunny if I hadn't checked it [:p]

But seems as I need a new dipstick now I may as well go for something fancy one of the ones with the fancy aluminium handles as Im dressing up the engine bay anyway [H]

Let this be a lesson to check the condition of the dipstick tube and oil dipstick itself. Seems with age they go brittle and can crack.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only replaced my plastic tube a year ago and now the dipstick itself where the handle joins to the metal stick has started going. I've also had a look around and am quite surprised no companies come up with a metal replacement yet. VW should have extended the metal tube all the way up.

Right now Im off to try find a replacement dipstick before any other bits crumble [negative]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts