Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into the car and before I started it up I thought I should check the oil level this morning for no real reason and good thing too! When I pulled out the oil dipstick I noticed in the dipstick tube a bit of the orange plastic that can came off from handle bit of the dipstick where it fits inside the tube. Quite a sizeable lump about 5mm, it fit snug like a glove from where I presume it came off the dipstick. My motor would not be a happy bunny if I hadn't checked it [:p]

But seems as I need a new dipstick now I may as well go for something fancy one of the ones with the fancy aluminium handles as Im dressing up the engine bay anyway [H]

Let this be a lesson to check the condition of the dipstick tube and oil dipstick itself. Seems with age they go brittle and can crack.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Both dipstick and tube should be changed every couple of years IMO. The plastic they use is useless for the application it's designed for. Still waiting on Gruvenparts to bring out their metal tube replacement.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only replaced my plastic tube a year ago and now the dipstick itself where the handle joins to the metal stick has started going. I've also had a look around and am quite surprised no companies come up with a metal replacement yet. VW should have extended the metal tube all the way up.

Right now Im off to try find a replacement dipstick before any other bits crumble [negative]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts