Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where there is one? I have been told all kinds of conflicting info. One person says they just put theirs in and it worked. the other said it needed to be centred and aligned before hand.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Are you fitting a new one?
If it's a second hand one you may want to plug it into VCDS before you turn the steering wheel. If someone has removed it from a car with the steering wheel a couple of turns out, it would snap the coil when you turn the wheel.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've only had dealings with the round style clockspring.
If it's been removed from a car with full left lock then fitted to your with the wheels straight it will snap when you turn full right.

You can find the center by winding it to both ends then putting it in the middle which can be a risk of snapping it.

With VCDS you just check measuring blocks in the ABS with the steering wheel off and check it is at 0 degrees when the wheels are straight. If it's at 360 you just rotate the center section until 0 is lined up.

·
Registered
655 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
I've only had dealings with the round style clockspring.
If it's been removed from a car with full left lock then fitted to your with the wheels straight it will snap when you turn full right.

You can find the center by winding it to both ends then putting it in the middle which can be a risk of snapping it.

With VCDS you just check measuring blocks in the ABS with the steering wheel off and check it is at 0 degrees when the wheels are straight. If it's at 360 you just rotate the center section until 0 is lined up.
But why go through all the rigmarole of taking the airbag and steering wheel off,taking the old clockspring off,fitting the new clockspring,putting the airbag and steering wheel back on only to find the new clockspring is worse than the old one[facepalm]? Why not do a test with a multimeter first that will take a few minutes at the most to save what could be an hour or more of wasted time?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
From experience, I had one wound up like a yoyo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts