Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
so if the pump is driven by the cambelt, and the pump is not spinning would it cause damage to the belt as well if i were to drive it?

·
Super Moderator
50,235 Posts
A lot of VAG cars had plastic impellors in their water pumps,apparantly the metal shaft spins and the impellor stays where it is for some reason,so the pulley carries on spining as it did before.

Chris.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ok thanks chris,

so in theory i could drive it to vw as long as i watched the temp gauge and make sure the engine doesn't get too hot.

vw is about 20 mins away from me (16 miles)

local garages won't do my timing belt because they say they need some sort of special tool.

·
Super Moderator
50,235 Posts
It's up to you whether to risk it or not,but as the local garages haven't got the special tool to work on something as rare as a VW Golf [:O],I'm not sure I'd trust them anyway.

Chris.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
just an update on the clock problem in case anyone is experiencing similar problems,

turns out that when i was last changing fuses i put the one for the clocks in the wrong slot,[brick] epic fail haha.

so now all is well [Y]

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all, today i started the car and noticed the clock and odometer were reset so i set the time and off i went,

but later on i started the car again and the same thing happend,so i turned off the ignition and noticed that the fuel and temp gauge stayed where it was when the engine was running,

i then turned the ignition back on and the temp and fuel gauge went down then went bk to where it should be,

im confused as to why this keeps happening any ideas folks?

its just started doing it today.
I just had a problem ... can you help me solve it

21 - 27 of 27 Posts