Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, today i started the car and noticed the clock and odometer were reset so i set the time and off i went,

but later on i started the car again and the same thing happend,so i turned off the ignition and noticed that the fuel and temp gauge stayed where it was when the engine was running,

i then turned the ignition back on and the temp and fuel gauge went down then went bk to where it should be,

im confused as to why this keeps happening any ideas folks?

its just started doing it today.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
every time i put the key in and start it,

also noticed that all display goes away when i remove the key, the clock and miles are usually on display all the time aren't they?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks mate, have had a look to see how you remove the clocks,it looks fairly straight forward,

but if i remove them will they go bk in without any programming?

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Even if you unplug them (you shouldn't need to,you're just looking at the wiring),they'll still work as they did before.

Chris.

·
Registered
718 Posts
i get this happen some times. seem to haven if i have had the radio on for 2 mins without the engine running or lights. then the car sounds like the batterys dead until you try starting it again, and all is fine apart for clocks have reset.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
had a look at my clock wiring and they all seem fine,also disconnected the battery but no change,

i changed my side light bulbs to led ones and de-wipered the rear the day before this started,

could this have anything to do with my problem?

i now have another problem now in that my climatronic will only blow cold air, i'm really losing patience with this car, i have had no problems for the last 6 months then get a whole host of them at the same time [:mad:]

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
i changed my side light bulbs to led ones and de-wipered the rear the day before this started,
Did you use CAN-BUS error free bulbs[:DD]? Only joking,the scientific test is of course to put the old ones back again and observe what happens.When you de-wipered,did you take the motor out,and if so what did you do with the wiring if anything?

Chris.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes took the motor out and tucked the wiring in. but this is the least of my problems now,

as for my climatronic only blowing cold air, i think this is down to a failed water pump because i took the cap off of the coolant bottle and there is no water at all coming back through the hose.

the car was due its cambelt belt in 1000 miles so it looks like the water pump is goosed.

i ain't driving it at the moment because i don't want to cause further damage. i will have to get it trailered to vw. absolutely gutted but not much i can do about it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
am i right in thinking this is the water pump? no hot air through the vents and no coolant getting circulated,

could i drive it softly to vw without doing any harm?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i had the car out today before i suspected the water pump and the temp gauge went to 90 degrees faster than normal but it didn't go over 90.(was only a 10-15 minute drive though)

also should the two big fans behind the bumper be on when climatronic is on? because mine aren't.

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Warm the engine up and feel all the pipes and radiator if you can get to it,they should all be equally hot.

Don't know about how those fans should work as I don't have climate control,but there's plenty been written on here and elsewhere about them.

Chris.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
but would this be safe enough considering there is no water at all coming back to the expansion tank?

will running the engine be safe to get up to temp without any damage to the head?

also does the cambelt drive the pump or is it the aux belt?

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
What does the temperature gauge go up to,or does it not move at all? The waterpump is driven by the cam belt,good time to change it as well if the pump has gone.

Chris.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i haven't really drove the car much since last nite when i noticed the heaters were blowing cold. i went out this morning for 15 mins of normal driving and the temp gauge didn't go over 90 degrees although it did get to that rather quickly.

yes my cambelt was due next month anyway so it was on the list, i just didn't expect this to happen haha.

just hope i haven't done too much damage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts