Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im new here, *waves*

right i currently own an 05 Renault ClioSport 182 (full fat) with all the optional extras and sports suspension. its an excellent car and i love it, however i drive 20 miles to work each day, so im looking for something more economical.

I quite like golfs and have rounded it down to either a GT TDI or a 1.8T, can anyone tell give me some pointers whether to go for the diesel or petrol? im used to a 182bhp car so im gonna want somthing with a bit of pull but also economical (im currently getting around 33mpg on avg.) which is where i think the TDI will be useful. However ive owned a Fiat Bravo JTD before and it was a right tractor, it was quick but not a scratch on my Clio.

Also if anyone could give me some quick specs for the deisels and which to go for ( i like toys so any model with aircon would be prefered) ive heard there are 130, 150 bhp models but theres some PD? and 3 different versions of the engine? is there any particular model and year to go for?
any help appriciated TIA.

FOR SALE:

Renault Clio Sport 182 Full Fat, Arctic blue, half leather interior, all cup packs and all optional extras, sports suspension, Climate control, Xennon Headlights, Auto wipers, Cruise control, Speed limiter control, 6 disc changer under seat, audio controls on steering wheel, Auto headlights, rain and dusk sensor, athercite alloys, 13k on clock, Im looking for around £10,000

http://myspace-986.vo.llnwd.net/00775/68/91/775561986_l.jpg

http://myspace-037.vo.llnwd.net/00775/73/01/775561037_l.jpg

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i would recomend a tdi 130 or 150! the 150 has more lag but both cars can be re-mapped well! about 190bhp and 290ib/ft for the 150 with a revo

mpg figures state around low 50's for both cars on a mixed run! depending on how u drive them i guess!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
if u go on whatcar.com you can compare up to 3 cars! so y not compare the 130, 150 and 1.8t

i think most models have aircon etc i havnt really seen 1 without

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah I agree

130TDI or 150TDI chipped to 190BHP

The first thing you will see driving a "hot" diesel is the torque that they offer at a low rpms, Keep it in fifth from 30 all the way up to 130 lol

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Nah, the 150TDI is GT spec, which means sports suspension, air con/climate, sports seats, all that stuff. It didn't come in a lower spec. It was sometimes badged on the back as GTi because the 150TDI PD was quicker than the 1.8T GTi (150bhp) (Wait for the abouse from the 1.8T owners!) PD just means Pumpe Deuse - VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda's version of a Common Rail diesel engine, except the system is under more pressure than common rail and gives better response. It was introduced around 2000 in 100, 115, 130, and 150 bhp formats. Engines before that were 90 & 110bhp.

I would personally go fo the 130pd and re-map that etc. It's generally regarded as the best engine in the diesel range. I've read a lot about problems with the 150pd car, though that's just my experience.

Remember though, even if you get your car up to 180bhp, it won't get close to the clio, as it's lighter and that Sport was built for major speed, where the Golf's just weren't! (Except the V6 & R32)

If you're thinking fuel economy, it has to be diesel, no 2 ways about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers benjie,

although the acceleration after 5k is excellent in the clio id be happy to sacrifice some of that for better mpg, i cant afford to pay for speed anymore, and the clio well... just wants to be driven fast.

i saw a tdi 150 remapped and rebuilt to 220bph on ebay, somthing like that would do :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Go with a Diesel if you want good fuel economy, as they return a much higher MPG figure than the 1.8T does. (I get around 30mpg around town on 97Ron fuel in my 1.8T)

Remember however that handling-wise, no Diesel/Petrol golf (r32 aside) with standard 'sport' suspension will be as good as your clio in the bends. To achieve a better result there you'll need to upgrade the suspension.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ye i appriciate that ill be taking a bit of a downgrade when it comes to speed and handling, your not making it very easy for me to sell my clio!!! lol

the only thing that is making me sell it is the money really and distance i travel to work, if i worked round the corner i wouldnt hesitate to keep it. but with petrol prices being crap i just cant afford to drive 40 miles a day just to work in a 2ltr petrol rocket.

i like the looks of the golfs with some nice alloys on they look easily as sporty as the cliosport, im not really a boy racer, i try not to race every nob in a corsa that pulls next to me, so performance from the cliosport is pretty much wasted on me atm. Id rather spend the money on better things(but still own a nice car)

there are a few tdis ive enquired about on the classifieds here, does anyone know of any other VW/golf forums or places i could get a decent TDI? autotrader dosnt have any 150's atm, and only 2 or 3 130s

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
if u dont mind paying a bit extra you could try browsing the vw approved used car search! there are hundreds of tdis on there!

come with a 1year warranty and milage verification check etc.... full peice of mind

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
if going private i'd recomend u get yourself a warranty then because from experience and form posts on here there not the most reliable of vw's

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
if going private i'd recomend u get yourself a warranty then because from experience and form posts on here there not the most reliable of vw's
Warranties aren't that expensive, and Golf diesels came 1st in a reliability survey by Fleet News.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
oh! but still best to be on the safe side i think! anything could go wrong at any time!   btw get a 3door! less windows to fall out! lol

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Yep, warranties are always advisable - make sure you shop around. Some local garages will do you a warranty - this may be a haggling point for you!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do they do 3rd GT TDI 150's?
Yep I have a door GT TDI 150 and owned it for about 3 months and its a great car. I used to drive a Renault Clio 182 and the power is definitely not the same delivery but once you get used to the Golf I think you will prefer it, loads of torque and a great car, even standard!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i take it, its pretty rare to find a decent 3rd GT TDI 150 then

ye ive had a diesel before and was pleased with it, especially the return

1 - 20 of 20 Posts