Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Was on the way back from my mates house, where this clio sport tried to race me thought i'd oblige him. On the dual carriageway both accelerating hard but could not overtake him espicially as the roads werent too great. When we slowed down for roundabouts i had him on acceleration but he soon caught up. Let him go in front of me and was keeping up was him. Must admit was not flat out as the road condition didnt permit that. Does anybody know what is underneath that bonnet.

He must have at least 200 bhp what do you guys think.

Dan

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I had a guy in a Daihastu Charade who was hard to catch on the 20-50pmh sprint!!!!

I couldn't believe it, I wasn't driving her hard but all the same, he had something big under that bonnet...

·
Registered
31 Posts
My brothers got the Clio Cup, which is the stripped out version with the same 2.0l (non-turbo) engine. Goes like the bloody clappers I can tell you.

BUT you don't get the refinement of the Golf, plus it starts lagging higher up the revs.

Nice car though and the blue is wonderful.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Those Clio sports are pretty quick - I raced one last year before I got the car chipped and we were dead even - we pulled up at a roundabout and he was gutted when I told him mine was a diesel!!

At York dragstrip there were a lot of these - I went up against one with a chip, scorpion exhaust, induction kit and stripped out interior - he did the 1/4 mile in 14.7 against my 15.2 - he was not a happy chappy to have a diesel so close to him. [:D]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldnt believe how quick it was. I was a bit gutted though. My annie is pushing roughly 215 bhp. Although he couldnt lose me but i couldnt overtake him either espicially on top end. For stuff less than 80 i left him. Was fun though. Never mind.

Dan

·
Registered
811 Posts
Get a full turbo back and you eat him for dust....i swear to god these things make one hell of a difference...the power is so much better through all the revs and top end you totally blast him...you'll be pulling all the way to 7k (if you want to that is). Not much i wouldnt take on now (bar super cars n even thats fun to shock them even tho they win in the end)...well worth the money ESPECIALLY with a chip!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Timbo,

Waht is the full turbo back mod you are on about. All i have is the revo chip and a uprated dv, i thought that i had enough as i dont want to do to much as it is still under warranty.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah i can vouch for most 172s being slow.

at the recent r/r day we had at re perfermance bury the 172s were varying from 129-153 bhp @wheels (the highest 1 there is about level racing my williams)

they not bad in 1st 2nd but when ive hit 3rd its bye bye

the 172 doin 14.7s at york is tim os and its had a LOT of money spent on the engine.....waste of money if u ask me , theyd be far better off saving themselves £10k and buying a faster car in a williams............. the cups are a little better but still not man enough to take over the williams' crown of BEST EVER HOT HATCH or the cars

·
Registered
229 Posts
Clio 172 's are quick, fun but not very refined. Great for B-road forays but awful on the motorway.

However, they are more fun to drive than the V6 version. The V6 is slow and the handling is awful ( i have driven both), but in June they are bringing out a revised V6. 255 BHP, revised chassis and on 18's. £27k is the estimate. Might be an interesting comparison with an R32 !!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i agree with all the above,i test drove one b4 buying my golf,it was fast and handled v.well but lacked the torque we have.Alot like a 205gti,just more modern.fun but you have to work it hard.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The 172 clios dont actually produce 172 bhp on the rollers.

Thats the power the engine gives before its fitted in the car, so it looses a lot with air con ect.

Have a look on a clio site.

And as for the above comment saying they can be remapped to over 200bhp then i think you need to step down from cloud 9

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
As willy 159 said above they vary from around 130bhp up to about 155bhp.

A standard one will not produce the 172bhp they think they will.

I went to a rolling road day a while ago and there were 2 clio sports there and they pulled around 130bhp.

The then confronted the guy running th place and said it was a joke and then he explained about the 172bhp being the power the engine produces before its in the car.

My brother has a 172 and to be polite its a bag of pi$$

EDIT :- How the hell is this in red writting [:S]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts