Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I it just me, or does anyone else think it strange, that the climate control switches on, when you s elect the recycle button.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Perfectly good reason for it I think. (As it prevents the car glass misting up which tends to happen v quickly when you shut off ventilation to outside air, particularly when it is rainy/cold outside, by dehumidifying the air).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfectly good reason for it I think. (As it prevents the car glass misting up which tends to happen v quickly when you shut off ventilation to outside air, particularly when it is rainy/cold outside, by dehumidifying the air).
I can see what your saying, however when it's 25 degrees outside, as last Saturday was, I don't think there is much chance of misting up.

As it works at the moment, because the the climate switches on, you then have to turn the temp up.otherwise you freeze. and as the handbook recommends you don't keep recycle on for too long, you then have to reverse the whole proceedure soon after.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I it just me, or does anyone else think it strange, that the climate control switches on, when you s elect the recycle button.
the whole climate control system is strange in VW's, not just the recycle button :)
Agree Mate, too many knobs in one place, I think I prefer a mix of knobs and buttons, as on my BMW

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
the whole climate control system is strange in VW's, not just the recycle button :)
Climate Control - a double-edged sword I think. I wouldn't have it out of choice as I much prefer the more manual control and simplification my Climatic semi-auto system gives. There is too much to go wrong with Climate control as it presumably has cabin sensors or a temperature sampler (fan driven) in order to sample the cabin temperature such that it can control same i.e. as in BMW's etc. This can become blocked and the miniature fans and vent flap motors fail - yuk! Not thanks, very much.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Climate Control - a double-edged sword I think. I wouldn't have it out of choice as I much prefer the more manual control and simplification my Climatic semi-auto system gives. There is too much to go wrong with Climate control as it presumably has cabin sensors or a temperature sampler (fan driven) in order to sample the cabin temperature such that it can control same i.e. as in BMW's etc. This can become blocked and the miniature fans and vent flap motors fail - yuk! Not thanks, very much.
That?s a bit like saying I wouldn?t have electric windows /power steering / or any other mod con, just incase it packs up, other manufactures manage a straight forward system which lasts.

If you want a simple no frills motor, there?s always a base model, personally I like gadgets, but only if they work in a logical way.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My last 6 cars, bar the last one (mk5 1.9 tdi), have all had climate control, and I must admit to finding it a pain to use. I could never get the exact mix of air to my face, body I wanted. Then i got the mk tdi with the climatic ssytem of knobs, and found it much easier to use and change. So much so when i was looking for my GTi I specifically tracked down an import with climatic. Some people may say oh its worth less etc, but it's my car and I much happier with it.

just my 2p's worth

Steve

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That?s a bit like saying I wouldn?t have electric windows /power steering / or any other mod con, just incase it packs up, other manufactures manage a straight forward system which lasts.

If you want a simple no frills motor, there?s always a base model, personally I like gadgets, but only if they work in a logical way.
No it's not! Personally, I don't reckon that much on electric windows, believe or not and certainly not in the rear of the car (totally unnecessary).

Power steering, well certainly, modern day driving would be very tedious having to haul around the steering wheel without assistance - but variable assistance probably another unnecessary 'gimmick'. Obviously there comes a cut off point somewhere and it's knowing where this should be applied and many manufacturers including VAG don't know where this is, unfortunately as they are introducing too much unnecessary gimmickry into their models and ignoring plain, good reliability in the essential areas of manufacture.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Horses for course. Personally I am pretty happy with climate control as you just set it and leave it. Although I do try to switch it to 'eccon' as often as I can (when the outside temp is lower than the desired internal temp anyway) just to give the compressor a rest!

The real problem I would have is paying a ridiculous ?675 extra for it should I buy a new (non GTI) Golf 5.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Rubbish... In the Climatronic car you can just set the cabin to whatever temp you require, switch to Auto and leave it alone. Climatic semi-auto to me if far too basic, with the driver constantly having to adjust fan speed ot temp settings as the car has no idea what the weather is doing outside.

Climatronic is also extremely reliable.

Chris

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Rubbish... In the Climatronic car you can just set the cabin to whatever temp you require, switch to Auto and leave it alone. Climatic semi-auto to me if far too basic, with the driver constantly having to adjust fan speed ot temp settings as the car has no idea what the weather is doing outside.

Climatronic is also extremely reliable.

Chris
I use it on the "hot" or "cold" setting and sometimes one or two digits off .Thats it.

Also , while we are on the subject , Marnin, you talk about "vent flap motors".

I have a fult code thats something to do with my air con,have you got any ideas what it means or what i should do about it.

" 01274 - air flow flap positioning motor (v71)

37 - 10 - faulty - intermittent"

·
Registered
89 Posts
My last 6 cars, bar the last one (mk5 1.9 tdi), have all had climate control, and I must admit to finding it a pain to use. I could never get the exact mix of air to my face, body I wanted. Then i got the mk tdi with the climatic ssytem of knobs, and found it much easier to use and change. So much so when i was looking for my GTi I specifically tracked down an import with climatic. Some people may say oh its worth less etc, but it's my car and I much happier with it.
I have a similar view. What really annoys me about fully automatic climate control systems is that they all seem to turn the fan down to practically off once the cabin has reached the s elected temperature. Since I prefer a reasonable volume of air flow, I prefer the semi automatic climatic system.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a similar view. What really annoys me about fully automatic climate control systems is that they all seem to turn the fan down to practically off once the cabin has reached the s elected temperature. Since I prefer a reasonable volume of air flow, I prefer the semi automatic climatic system.
Crikey.. Am I the only person that likes the Climatronic system [:O]

Each their own I guess..

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can use the fully automatic system in manual mode too, this will give the benefit of both systems.

Personally I wouldn't be without fully automatic climate control in any car now, its miles better than any manual system as you don't have to keep fiddling with to maintain the right temperature.

·
Registered
894 Posts
No... I wouldn't be without Climatronic.

What I like is you set it and forget about it virtually ( until of course you notice the last passenger has set their own temperature zone - how inconvenient ! )

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You can use the fully automatic system in manual mode too, this will give the benefit of both systems.

Personally I wouldn't be without fully automatic climate control in any car now, its miles better than any manual system as you don't have to keep fiddling with to maintain the right temperature.
Well, I can certainly see the day when I cannot get a car without Climate Control (and all its foibles). For the time being, I will certainly opt for the semi-automatic version, which some other people here also seem to prefer. One may have to fiddle around a bit more, but that more than compensates for being able to get the level and direction of vented air just right.

Incidentally, I am aware that a manual mode can be used with Climate Control etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It used to be ABS, then Air Conditioning etc.

Now Climate Control is one of those options that once you've had a car with it, you'ed never buy a car again without it!

Although that said, the now extra ?695 for it on my GT would of hurt at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Crikey.. Am I the only person that likes the Climatronic system [:O]

Each their own I guess..
No your not, I like the system, but just find it a little strange it switches on air con when the recycle buitton is pressed. Other than that it's a good system IMO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts