Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last week I received a couple of things from Alex @ SeriousPerformance.

I got some Clearkote Hand Glaze, and some of the Clearkote Carnauba Moose wax. Also got a wash mit, Micro.f detailing cloth, some applicators etc.

Im quite pleased with the results, after washing using some Autoglym professional polish stuff, Hand Glaze, then Moose Waxing. Makes the paint feel really slick. [8D]

My question is should I use the hand glaze every time as this suggests it removes scratches and therefore surely removes the moose wax too, which is not great as I try to build up the layers?

Or, should I only use Hand Glaze occassionally to hide new scratches, and just Moose Wax as much as poss?

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hiya tim,

Glad your pleased with the results.. Its all in the touch! Slick is the word!

Anyway The hand glaze will only hide the scratches and not remove them (although it does say it removes them! lol). The hand glaze does include a slight amount of cab in it so using that alone you will get good results - the cab wax will add extra dept and seal it all in well.

If I am tight for time I will only use the hand glaze and not the cab wax. The hand glaze does not remove the cab wax as far as I know, so you will be fine.

When you get used to using the hand glaze alone you can get the whole car done in less that 30 mins!!!! just make sure the car is totally dry before hand though.

If you have a little more time to spend use the cab wax too.

When the rain falls you should be impressed with the way it slips off.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, V pleased with the results I spent hours applying and removing everything! I Should have taken some pictures really.

This might be a silly question, but I normally jet wash my car, could this potentially removes wax from the bodywork as it is so forcefull? Do I need to go easy on the pressure or am I being over cautious?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I would just use the jet wash on the sills and the back of the car anwyay as they are the bits that are most dirty.

What shampoo are you using? make sure it is a good choice as some strip the wax off totally.

Once you get into a routine you will find yourself apply and buffing the wax very quickly.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 04/04/2005 11:13:23

you should be impressed with the way it slips off.

[:I][;)]

I gave her a quick going over with the CMV sat morning & the handglaze on the windows, prior to going down to THE BIKESHOW @ Stoneleigh, which was pants.

took 30min max i'd say to do [8D]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
[;)]

Gets quicker everytime... which is a good thing in this case! [;)]

How did you find it on the windows? - I do pretty much the whole car in the stuff! [:)]

I did the same this weekend, but have the main panels (wings, hood, doors, and rear) a quick cab wax too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by oxford on 04/04/2005 11:53:40

I would just use the jet wash on the sills and the back of the car anwyay as they are the bits that are most dirty.

What shampoo are you using? make sure it is a good choice as some strip the wax off totally.

Once you get into a routine you will find yourself apply and buffing the wax very quickly.

I did'nt order ant shampoo because I forgot [B)] Ive been using this because its always laying around the house and its cheap:

Posted Image

[B)][B)][B)]

Is this shockingly bad (will strip off the wax) or actually ok, I never trust what it says on the tin.

I sometimes use autoglym stuff too, which is ok.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I would say that would strip the wax, although I am not 100% sure

Get yourself some poorboys shampoo from Alex (serious performance) lasts forever and will not strip the wax, I know because I use it! costs around 10 pounds.

You may want to test the stuff you have first tho. Just apply the wax to a panel and then shampoo that panel dry and you should see if it removes it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote: posted by oxford on 04/04/2005 13:37:48

I would say that would strip the wax, although I am not 100% sure

Get yourself some poorboys shampoo from Alex (serious performance) lasts forever and will not strip the wax, I know because I use it! costs around 10 pounds.

You may want to test the stuff you have first tho. Just apply the wax to a panel and then shampoo that panel dry and you should see if it removes it.

How much of the poorboys stuff do you get for your ?10, like 500ml? or is one of those big old containers?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Posted Image

You really need the smallest of amounts!

Super Slick & Suds uses is a very concentrated shampoo with never ending foam. Super Slick & Suds is a safe and easy formula that quickly and gently removes dirt, oils and road grim without removing wax or sealants, then rinses free of residue. Its very economical to use, environmentally safe, and has a neutral pH.

32 oz. / 946ml

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been really impressed with the care and time that most forum members put into cleaning their cars, but Oxford and Jace win hands down me thinks[:D]. I'm still getting through the tub of zymol titanium on both cars and I bought the starter kit over 2 years ago!!! Still nowhere near finished. But guys, seriously, anyone want to drive up to Huddersfield to teach how me how to polish and wax properly?[;)]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Owwwww black A4 S-line!!! love those!! estate or a saloon?

I used to live in Huddersfield when I was about ten! quite liked it there, picked up the accent very quickly.

Thanks for your compliment! - Sounds like you have the products? - what cloths are you using and how are you washing it?

Whiteboys (kevins) car does indeed shine using that shampoo, cant see it is all that different from the poorboys.

·
Registered
424 Posts
oxford: - the cab wax will add extra dept and seal it all in well.

Really????????? extra depth yes[^][^][^]But seal?????NO NO NO NO NO[:(][:(]Just when i thought you was getting the hang of things you go and say something like that[:D][:D][:D]

Go to the back of the class and face the corner....[:D]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by squky clean on 04/04/2005 23:24:49

oxford: - the cab wax will add extra dept and seal it all in well.

Really????????? extra depth yes[^][^][^]But seal?????NO NO NO NO NO[:(][:(]Just when i thought you was getting the hang of things you go and say something like that[:D][:D][:D]

Go to the back of the class and face the corner....[:D]

PMSL, get that "D" cone hat on your head boy [:D]

I've found that mixing Clearkote shampooo & NXT shampoo is very good,

& as for TIMGTI, you should be ashamed of yourself for using that triplewax tat [V] spending all that cash on good prodcut only to let it down with the prep. Go & join oxford at the back of the class. [:D]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
squky: - that handbag of yours is dangerous!!!

I am still learning like anyone else, and I don't pretend to be a pro!

- so what would you recommend to seal it in then??? eh eh eh

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oxford:

The s-line is a saloon, but the reason I have been hasty to use the best products is that some fecker put a dirty big scratch down the drivers side door, rear door and onto the rear arch 3 days after I bought it! Decided to get a quote to respray but wanted to wait until after the bad weather and road salt had cleared up. Then a bloody roof tile fell on top of the boot and made a few dents and scratches!!! Nothing but bliss since i bought it[:(!].

I have poorboys shampoo, moose hand glaze, p21 and every other wax in the garage. But until my baby is re-sprayed I use lambswool mitt, zymol shampoo, blade and microfibre towel to dry and zymol titanuium to finish. Keep up the good work, your advice is much appreciated.

P.S. keep an eye out and I will post some pics very soon

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing those pics, I love those cars the saloon looks great!

Sounds like you have the right products!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts