Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Three or four bolts i think and then unclip the connector, easy peasy, 30 min job all in. Take the TIP off first, it makes it easier to get to the bolts.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Open up the airbox by unscrewing 8 x Phillips screws. If it's the same as mine you'll need to take the engine cover off by undoing 4 x bolts first.

Lift out the air filter and rubber seal. Get yourself a tin of carb cleaner and it'll give you instructions on the tin about how to use it - basically just spray a little around & down past the butterfly while someone is revving the engine.

I don't know anything about a gasket, if it's a more thorough clean than this you're after, that's something different. Hope this helps anyway

·
Registered
87 Posts
enc, yes there is a gasket and no i didn't replace mine, it seemed ok and in tact, but i will get around to getting a new one though. It sits between the body and the inlet manifold, pull them apart very carefully and look, if it looks like it will break, put it back together and go get a gasket. Then again, get a gasket first.[^]

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I just cleaned the butterfly valve with carb cleaner gave it a couple of squirts cloth underneath to catch the excess and then dryed out the inside and around the valve, This seemed to do the job all I had to do was remove the rubber connecting hose coming from the intercooler to get to it and bobs your uncle idles alot smoother now.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Did mine at the weekend too, managed to get it off without damaging the gasket, gave it a proper clean with carb cleaner and refitted / performed TBA on Vagcom. Seems a lot smoother at idle, no lumpy acceleration and no error codes have re-appeared which is a bonus [:D]

·
Registered
336 Posts
so with me having the throttle cable i can just undo the pipe and spray in the cleaner without the engine running and just move the butterfly by pulling the cable??

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've done a throttle body clean and a maf clean this weekend and car now seems to want to idle at 1200-1400 sometimes dropping to the proper 800. I did try unplugging the battery for about half an hour but still seems to do it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have you done the Throttle Body Alignment (TBA)? this works on some engine codes but you can try it, turn the key to the ON position where the lights on the dash light up but dont turn the engine over, wait atleast 3 minutes and TBA should be done. Then you can start your car as normal and check your idle. If you want to make sure TBA is done you can turn the key on the ON postion open the bonnet and put your ear near the Throttle Body, you should hear a buzzing noise and after a couple of minutes a click sound, thats the end of TBA.

Try it and let us know!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I cleaned the throttle body on my AGU by removing it and using carb/air intake cleaner. I then did TBA.

I still have a problem with high revs at idle but not as bad as it used to be and maybe not as often - it seems to be OK sometimes but not others.

Any ideas, please?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts